acidophilus probiotic pills? do they work?

Please feel free to read, share your thoughts, your stories and connect with others!
Ruth

Postby Ruth » Sun Aug 05, 2007 7:13 pm

Hi, I just started taking acidophilus probiotic, 100 mg, in pill form...does anyone know if the pills really work to get the good bacteria to the gut? Thanks, Ruth

weisssoccermom

Postby weisssoccermom » Sun Aug 05, 2007 10:16 pm

Ruth,
I don't know about that particular pill, but when I was on radiation, I took something for irritable bowel which was just lactobacillus. I did it because the radiation was killing all the good bacteria & I was getting diarrhea from it. After I started, I hardly had any diarrhea. The normal dose was one to two pills a day, but after getting the ok from my onc., I took 2 pills in the morning and two pills in the afternoon. I doubt that I ever really "got ahead" because the radiation kept killing things off, but I stayed on an even keel during my radiation. So, yes, I would say that it should work, based on my experience. Are you also having radiation now?
Jaynee

Ruth

Postby Ruth » Mon Aug 06, 2007 11:29 am

Hi, I am not having radiation now, but I did have it for rectal cancer. I am having a lot of problems with rad damage to the rectum now, so my rad doc said to try them...thanks, Ruth

wifey

Postby wifey » Tue Aug 07, 2007 1:39 pm

Ruth,

I am new to the board (husband diagnosed w/colon cancer stage IIIB in May). We have a little bit of experience with acidophilus pills, since he's been on long-term antibiotics for Lyme disease.

My understanding is that the best type to get are the refrigerated variety; I guess that maintains the strength of the cultures more effectively. A brand that is frequently recommended by the Lyme community is Theralac (I hope it's okay to post brand names; I will edit, if not). It's a bit pricey, but you only have to take one a day, and it is designed for maximum absorption.

Hope this is helpful.

Take care,
Aviva

Loopy369

Postby Loopy369 » Tue Aug 07, 2007 4:12 pm

I also started taking these along with some other supplements and vitamins prescribed by my nutritionist toward the end of chemoradiation - it worked wonders for me, together with a change in eating. I went from having diarrhoea average 6 times a day to one proper movement a day!

It's the little things in life that make me happy :roll:

I'm sort of looking forward to finding out if I can ever do that again, but at least my chemo diarrhoea is in my ileostomy bag :wink:
Lisa

36, single mum of two (14 and 12) diagnosed Jan 07
Stage 3b (Rectal at 15cm)
7 weeks 5FU 24/7 Feb/Mar 07 with 5 weeks radiation.

TME, creation of J pouch and loop ileostomy 6th June 07
Another PICC line and 6 months chemo start 16th July 07

Return to “Colon Talk - Colon cancer (colorectal cancer) support forum”