post op - is this "normal"

Please feel free to read, share your thoughts, your stories and connect with others!
joy

post op - is this "normal"

Postby joy » Mon Jan 16, 2006 6:49 pm

My surgery was on 4th January lower sig, rectrum resection.

This is crazy - I have the feeling that I have to go "all the time" - not cramps, not diarrhea(sp?) - just the overwhelming sensation that I have to GO! When I do go which is many, many times per day it is not painful and is only a small amount.

I do of course have a bad case of "diaper rash" :P

It is driving me crazy - I want to "live in the bathroom"!!

If I try and ignore the "urge" I start to get a panic sickness type of attack.

Anyone have the same problem????

Anything I can take ---- I sure don't need laxatives!!!

ASTEPHENS33

Some Thoughts

Postby ASTEPHENS33 » Mon Jan 16, 2006 7:13 pm

My resection was the upper colon and my symptons were different, but it took a while to get things going again. Its like the nerves that control things down there had to re-learn eveything. I used diaper wipes all the time. Its been over 2 months for me and I'm still on stool softener.

Holly32

Postby Holly32 » Tue Jan 17, 2006 10:59 pm

Hi,
I had a sigmoidectomy Nov. 12 and I had the same symptoms as you. I might as well lived in the bathroom. It took a while, but it ended up getting way better. Just keep those magazines handy :wink: ... God bless, Holly

Postby Guest » Wed Jan 18, 2006 7:11 am

thanks Holly: I'm happy to hear that it gets better. One day I counted and I was in the bathroom 17 times.......sure does take a "chunk" out of my day

I'm 2 weeks post surgery and apart from this "inconvenience" I'm feeling o'k .... no pain :D

tamfigg

Postby tamfigg » Wed Jan 18, 2006 9:55 am

I had my rectum reconstructed and what you are feeling is normal. It will take some time for the tissue there to have the elasticity that your rectum once did. I remember one day I went 30 times, and when I went it was the size of a pea, and I just kept doing that all day.

It has been almost 4 years now and I still do go more than normal, but it varies by day. Some days it could be 5 some days over 10.

Hang in there, it does get better with time.

Tammy Figg
www.figgtree.com

Terry Miller

Normal

Postby Terry Miller » Wed Jan 18, 2006 12:51 pm

Hi Joy,
I think everyone experiences different stage of "normal". After almost seven years (right side CC) it's not the same as it was. But it has normalized to a routine on a daily basis. As far as the "bum rash" is concerned, the product "Nupercanal" offers extended relief between trips to the "throne". I'm sure that your "normal" will be different than my "normal". But in the end (no pun intended), be proactive at monitoring your health, keep all your appointments, and enjoy living. I have notice one thing, after each trip to the bathroom, I always look! You will too, and you'll never stop. Take care and good health always!

Terry

Postby Guest » Wed Jan 18, 2006 1:57 pm

Terry I'm laughing at you saying you always "look". I have to admit that I can give a description of every BM I have had in the past 2 weeks since surgery.

To-day has been a bit better 2.p.m. and only on #6 bathroom visit. I've been sicking to the Low residue diet - wonder when I should add some "bulk" to my diet?

edinaman

Postby edinaman » Thu Jan 19, 2006 10:54 pm

Joy, my surgeon said it can take a good year for things to return to "normal". I was probably so abnormal by the time I had surgery, I don't know what really is normal. I find that I "go" more than before, usually after each meal, sometimes more. I have a friend who had gastric bypass surgery about 2 years ago. She goes more often now. It probably is the shorter digestive system.

Return to “Colon Talk - Colon cancer (colorectal cancer) support forum”