How soon is too soon for Immodium?

Please feel free to read, share your thoughts, your stories and connect with others!
stexcanuck

How soon is too soon for Immodium?

Postby stexcanuck » Tue Dec 28, 2010 6:56 pm

OK, I'm 16 days post takedown and 10 days at home. Metamucil is now up to 3x day (starting yesterday) and I did kinda hurry the MDA process a bit trying hot coffee after dinner last night, to no avail, and then over did it with prune juice this morning after I woke up at 4, that was a mistake paid for til about 2 pm...... just worried about trying to return to work and getting some kind of timing down. I know that this is a LONG process, and cheaters rarely prevail, but wondering what may work to help get through the day when I need to. Note to BB - not on any painkillers, able to knock them out at 36 hrs post surg, and don't have Lotomil script yet as haven't had post surg follow up and have been doing it naturally thus far. Have been good throughout the night thus far, thank the Lord, but mornings are terrible as no control yet (about 20 second warning :( ). Follow up w/ doc on Monday is 4 hrs drive there, 4 hrs back by the way.
Thank you for all insight.
43M
Heart Stents 1/10
dx Rectal CA Stage III B 5/10
LAR/TME 09/10, 27 cm rectum/colon removed, 1/27 nodes +
Ileo reversal w/ straight pipes 12/10
DX Kidney CA 5/11, Partial Lt removal (open surg) 08/11
They keep us patched up and rollin'

Terry
Facebook Username: Terry Minor

Re: How soon is too soon for Immodium?

Postby Terry » Tue Dec 28, 2010 7:06 pm

And I thought I had a long ride to the doc, it's only an hour and a half. I feel for you. I would call your doc and ask when you can start using immodium, you certainly don't want to get a blockage. I would think taking two each night would be alright but I'd ask the doctor to be sure. Just call the office and the nurse should call you back, that's what they're there for and this is coming from a nurse.

Good luck to you, I hope you get control soon.

God Bless!
Terry
DX 7/3/07
Chemo, radiation, 20 mo. chemo, IMRT, cyberknife, 6/11 lobectomy.
1/16 resection perm. colostomy intraop. rad.
PET 2/12 nose, thyroid, liver, lngs
Folfox 3/12
Lord I know You'll keep me here until
you know I cannot suffer any longer!

BrownBagger

Postby BrownBagger » Tue Dec 28, 2010 7:21 pm

As Terry said, check with your doc. Mine suggesting taking Immodium immediately, which is what I did. It helped.

I think I returned to work 2 weeks post-op. I have just over an hour commute and never had a problem, but as you know, it's tough at first. I'd give the Immodium a try. Actually, I used the generic stuff you buy at the grocery store--much cheaper and it worked great.

Somebody on another website suggested taking liquid Immodium for a more immediate effect. I've never tried it (never really needed it), but that's also worth a shot.

If you call your doctor's office and talk to one of the nurses, (s)he'll check with the doc and get back to you.
Eric, 58
Dx: 3/09, Stage 4 RC
Recurrences: (ongoing, lung, bronchial cavity, ribs)
Major Ops: 6/ RFA: 3 /bronchoscopies: 8
Pelvic radiation: 5 wks. Bronchial radiation—brachytheray: 3 treatments
Chemo Rounds (career):136
Current Chemo Cocktail: Xeloda & Erbitux & Irinotecan biweekly
Current Cocktail; On the Wagon (mostly)
Bicycle miles post-dx 10,477
Motto: Live your life like it's going to be a long one, because it just might, and then you'll be glad you did.

SoCalSaz

Postby SoCalSaz » Tue Dec 28, 2010 7:27 pm

My reading of the MDA protocol is that you start out with the Imodium (and/or Lomotil) first, with your doctor's OK (this is the sort of thing that should probably be OK with a phone call -- no need for the drive!). Then you move on to taking the Imodium and/or Lomotil concurrently with the fiber, while gradually titrating the anti-diarrhea medication downward as you increase the Metamucil upward until you find a good maintenance dose.
53; Ileocolectomy for cecal bascule, 10/2022

dx RC 3/2010
T3N0M0
5 wks chemoradiation 5/2010
LAR 8/2010, ileo rev. 10/2010
2 rounds XELOX 4 rounds Xeloda 11/2010-4/2011
LIS surgery for fissure 2013

Thyroid cancer 1997; bleeding/connective tissue/autoimmune disorders

stexcanuck

Postby stexcanuck » Tue Dec 28, 2010 7:54 pm

I'll put the call in. Last thing I want is to be too tightened up / blockage so soon after getting the engine re-fired, but will need some help along the way as well. I'm mainly in the office, but can be called upon to drive to worksites from 1 hr to 4 hrs away... that will be put off as long as possible. With this, you'd think the bag would be the thing to accept, but I can't without giving it all i can to be "au natural" first.
Everyone is an individual, but no substituting asking the veterans....Thank you. Have good hospitals here, by the way, but the closest surgeon that would consider reconnect up front (due to low location of tumor, have about 2 cm of rectum left) was in SA, TX., and he did both surgeries lap, which made for a much easier surgical recovery..... darn gassy bowels was what kept me in hospital 7 days each time (TME then takedown).
Again, thank you all for your insight.
43M
Heart Stents 1/10
dx Rectal CA Stage III B 5/10
LAR/TME 09/10, 27 cm rectum/colon removed, 1/27 nodes +
Ileo reversal w/ straight pipes 12/10
DX Kidney CA 5/11, Partial Lt removal (open surg) 08/11
They keep us patched up and rollin'

Surroundedbylove

Postby Surroundedbylove » Tue Dec 28, 2010 7:59 pm

Definitely talk to your surgeon - mine didn't want me to start Immodium until 2 weeks post op as I recall.
Surroundedbylove

Rectal Cancer @ 43, '08
Clinical: T3,N2a,MX (IIIB)
6 wks XELOX & radiation
LAR, colonic j-pouch, & temp ileo '09
Surgical: ypT3,ypN0,ypMX (0 of 20 nodes)
FOLFOX; XELOX
Ileo Takedown ‘09
LARS for 10 years before learning it is finally being studied
InterStim Sacral Nerve Neuromodulator 2019

Return to “Colon Talk - Colon cancer (colorectal cancer) support forum”