Dosages changed & MRSA

Please feel free to read, share your thoughts, your stories and connect with others!
seussfan
Facebook Username: Trish Lannon

Dosages changed & MRSA

Postby seussfan » Thu Aug 02, 2007 2:42 pm

After 3 delays (not including the time I ended up in the hospital), my oncology team decided to lower my dosages by 10%. When my oncologist told me this on Monday just before my treatment, I cried. I was so afraid that it would put me at a higher risk of the cancer coming back.

They assured me that that is not the case. They looked at all my blood tests from the beginning to now and recalulated my dosages so that I would not continue to be delayed. he said it is my "new" 100%. He said that the meds are working very well and doing their job - because my numbers (platelets and white cells) are always so low, it shows the meds are doing their job. They can give me meds to fix my white cells but not the platelets.

If this works, my last treatment would be November 5th, 6th, and 7th. We shall see. My first end date was Sept. 11th!

In addition, my incision is still a pain in the ass. I now have the MRSA infection and my surgeon had to cut my incision open again just above my bellybutton and just below. RIDICULOUS. My surgery was MARCH 5th!!!!!! I can't believe the stupid incision troubles are still continuing.

Hard to keep things positive these days.
Stage 3 Colon Cancer-6 of 15 lymph nodes positive/Surgery & Dx 3-5-07/Finished Folfox4 11-28-07
Stage 0/Grade 3 Breast Cancer/Double mastectomy 5-15-09/Undergoing reconstruction
http://www.caringbridge.org/visit/trishlannon
2009 Colondar Model

DeeDee

Postby DeeDee » Thu Aug 02, 2007 8:08 pm

I am sorry to hear about the MRSA infection. That resistant strain can be really nasty. When I was in the hospital for my surgery I had MRSA solation rooms on both sides of mine. I was so afraid I would get the infection too.

A lot of people have their dosages adjusted so don't worry about that. 10% isn't that big a change and you need to keep the counts up to fight the infection.

You have made it so far already. Just hang in there and keep fighting. It can get tough to stay positive during treatment especially when you hit a bump in the road. You have had more than your share of bumps.

You may want to do something to help you stay more positive. Read an inspirational book, listen to some good meditation CDs, use positive imagery, etc.

Good luck with the new dosage. Hopefully it will be a little easier to tolerate and the worst is behind you.
Hugs,

Dee
Stage 2 Rectal Cancer
Tomo Radiation and resection 12/06
Folfox stopped after 3 due to toxicity
Ileostomy reversal 04/07
NED

seussfan
Facebook Username: Trish Lannon

Postby seussfan » Fri Aug 03, 2007 12:19 pm

When I was in the hospital the second time I had C-Diff and my room was then put on as isolation and couldn't see my kids for a week! The surgeon just told me with MRSA that I had to wash my hands frequently, keep the two wounds covered, change my sheets and towel everyday. I hope that is enough. I am on antibiotics for 15 days (10 days left).
Stage 3 Colon Cancer-6 of 15 lymph nodes positive/Surgery & Dx 3-5-07/Finished Folfox4 11-28-07
Stage 0/Grade 3 Breast Cancer/Double mastectomy 5-15-09/Undergoing reconstruction
http://www.caringbridge.org/visit/trishlannon
2009 Colondar Model

michele

dosage change and MRSA

Postby michele » Fri Aug 03, 2007 2:39 pm

Bless your heart. I am so sorry you are dealing with all this. I was diagnosed stage 3 also Dec 2005 and finished chemo Aug 2006. I had several delays and dose reductions by 25% each time. Many people have to have the dosage decreased. I also had trouble with white count, hemoglobin and platelets. Try not to worry. If you have too much chemo, it can be quite harmful. I think it is probably much better to complete the treatments than to have the higher dosages. At least, with the decrease you may be able to continue without as many delays.
Seussfan,
As to the MRSA, I am nurse and we see so much more of that these days. Are you having to pack the wound? I talked my surgeon into a wound vac which speeded up the healing tremendously. I am not sure if that would work with the MRSA, but it would be worth asking for. I am overweight and had a very deep wound that would have taken 4-6 months possibly to heal and was completely healed in 4-5 weeks wit the vac. That was prior to starting chemo though. Chemo can interfere with the healing and make it slower.

Sorry for the lengthy reply.

I hope you get back on track with the treatments.

michele
Diagnosed Dec 2005 stage 3C
LAR Dec 2005
Mom finished chemo for stage 3B Jan 2006
I had chemo Feb 2006-Aug 2007
Currently NED

Return to “Colon Talk - Colon cancer (colorectal cancer) support forum”