Questions about getting a port put in tomorrow.. need advice

Please feel free to read, share your thoughts, your stories and connect with others!
Traveler001

Questions about getting a port put in tomorrow.. need advice

Postby Traveler001 » Wed Aug 01, 2007 9:18 am

uggh.

I went to see an Oncologist yesterday and I told him I was going to get a 2nd opinion on Aug 15th from another one at the same hospital. He said that was fine but I can get a port put in prior to that meeting and be all set to go. Well I got a call this morning saying the only available days to get a port put in are tomorrow morning or Aug 20th. The 2nd problem is I was going to go to Vegas on Aug 10th for my brother's batchelor party.

Do I push it back to the 20th? Id probably start chemo around that time. Or do I get the port and then wait with it in for 2-3 weeks before chemo begins, and go to Vegas with it?

thanks - I guess i gotta tell them today...

Eric

klryder02

Postby klryder02 » Wed Aug 01, 2007 10:50 am

Hi Eric-

It may be last minute, but I would go with getting it put in tomorrow.

I had my port in about 3 weeks before I started chemo, because I was getting a second opinion. Although it doesn't really hurt all that much, I liked the fact that I had a few weeks to let things settle before I started chemo.

This may not be a big deal to you, but the more time you have the port without chemo will allow the scar to heal faster.

Once you start chemo, scars and other injuries don't heal very fast.

Also, traveling with the port is no problem. I didn't even set off the metal detector last month.
29, stage IV, diagnosed Oct. 2006, currently on Oxaliplatin, 5-FU, and Vectibix.
http://youcantcontrolrandom.blogspot.com/

seussfan
Facebook Username: Trish Lannon

Postby seussfan » Wed Aug 01, 2007 11:10 am

I would get it tomorrow. The procedur is about 30 minutes and you are out for it. You will be sore for a good 2 weeks, but you will want time to heal before starting chemo. The incision is about two inches long and will be taped. You can shoaer and everything - swim even.
Stage 3 Colon Cancer-6 of 15 lymph nodes positive/Surgery & Dx 3-5-07/Finished Folfox4 11-28-07
Stage 0/Grade 3 Breast Cancer/Double mastectomy 5-15-09/Undergoing reconstruction
http://www.caringbridge.org/visit/trishlannon
2009 Colondar Model

Traveler001

Postby Traveler001 » Wed Aug 01, 2007 11:21 am

Ok tomorrow it is... you makes sense... I'll do it.

two inches! Was that for a single lumen port? Yikes!

missjv

Postby missjv » Wed Aug 01, 2007 11:36 am

i would do it tommorrow then wait to start chemo. i had my port put in then started chemo the very next day and what a mistake. i was sick from the anesthesia then added chemo on top of that it was bad. have it put in and give yourself time to heal. you will be sore for a few days but mild pain releivers will help with that. good luck in vegas!!

missjv

michele

question about getting port put in tomorrow..need advice

Postby michele » Wed Aug 01, 2007 2:24 pm

I would definitely get it put in tomorrow. Mine has been in for over a year now. I guess I want to leave it in for some extra sense of security. I agree with Missjv and others. It is nice to have a little healing time. My chemo also started within a couple days of the insertion and was quite uncomfortable.

Good luck with your second opinion and treatment plan.

michele
Diagnosed Dec 2005 stage 3C
LAR Dec 2005
Mom finished chemo for stage 3B Jan 2006
I had chemo Feb 2006-Aug 2007
Currently NED

johnnys84

Postby johnnys84 » Wed Aug 01, 2007 2:32 pm

I would go and get it down tomorrow. Get it out the way. It shouldnt bother you at all while you are in vegas.
JJS

Diagnosed June 30, 2006 Stage II colorectal cancer (familial polyposis) 30 years old
October 27, 2006 Total Colectomy and K-pouch
March 9, 2007 K-pouch revision

jennb

Postby jennb » Wed Aug 01, 2007 5:09 pm

Definitely have it put in asap. Give yourself some time to heal and get the anesthesia out of your system before chemo. Like MissJV, I also started chemo the day after my port was in. It wasn't the optimal scenario but I'd do it that way again if need be. Plus, you may be able to get in earlier for the 2nd opinion and you'd be ready to start the chemo that much sooner if that is the route you're following.

Regarding the 2nd opinion, I'd keep calling to see if there are any cancellations/earlier openings, and take any copies of your medical records to them now. If they have the info in hand, they may try harder to get you in quicker. See if your referring dr can give them a call to get you in sooner. Depending on the size of tumors, you may risk an obstructed bowel. I was dx on a Tuesday and saw the Colorectal surgeon and oncologist on Friday and started chemo the following Wednesday due to that risk.

Keep Positive and have a great time in Vegas! You definitely deserve to celebrate with your brother and try to forget what you're going through
for a day or two!
Jenn
39 - dx Feb 13 2007 Stage IV CRC/liver mets~Ovarian mets 7/07~lung mets 1/09
2/07-10/07FOLFOX6 w/Avastin
10/07-1/09Erbitux/Camptosar/Avastin
8/08-1/09 added Xeloda
1/09-off to Georgetown to find a Trial
Resection 4/07-perforated bowel
temp osotmy

nhoeft

Postby nhoeft » Thu Aug 02, 2007 11:19 am

ok...I'm here to take the other side. I had my port put in on a Friday and started Chemo on Monday. Wasn't a problem. But....I would still recommend getting the second opinion first, especially if it means you might not be having chemo. No need to put in a port if you're not going to use it. I started chemo, researched it more and more, ended up stopping after 2 sessions (they wanted me to do 12). There's a lot of info out there that isn't told to you. When I stopped, my doctor called me a few times at home to try to convince me to continue. I relayed some of my findings, (i.e. part of my chemo could have been done with a pill form) and she didn't have much else to say. She's a good doctor, but its a personal choice. In my case I think the chemo was doing much more harm than good. Find out all your options before you jump into anything. I regret ever starting the chemo. Just my opinion.
Good luck and I wish you the best.
n.

Return to “Colon Talk - Colon cancer (colorectal cancer) support forum”