Sore gums, bruising, bleeding

Please feel free to read, share your thoughts, your stories and connect with others!
Dress In Blue Girl

Sore gums, bruising, bleeding

Postby Dress In Blue Girl » Mon Jul 30, 2007 11:01 am

Has anyone had problems with there mouth ? Not the chemo induced sore mouth but just really tender.
I havent been on hard chemo for along time and avastin ending in Jan. this just started a month ago along with bruising and if I just barely knick myself Im bleeding alot? Of course my mind is paranoid since this is my first time I wait three months for cea and ct and check up.
anita

IV feb 2005 colon resection,
folfori w/avastin,
Aug 2005 liver resection/rfa to get rid of 8 liver tumors
Sept 2005 folfox w/avastin NED!!!!
avastin till Jan 2007
port out July 2007

Be the change you want to see in the world

RobinS

Postby RobinS » Mon Jul 30, 2007 5:01 pm

Hi Anita,

Do you also have a dry mouth? I had my yearly visit with the dentist for a cleaning shortly after my last round of chem and was having problems with bleeding and placque. The hygentist had me get a special toothpaste because the prescription mouthwash the oncologist gave me for mouth sores caused the extreme dry mouth which caused the problem with placque and bleeding. The local pharmacy carried a whole line of dental products by this company (I'm not at home right now and can't think of the name of it) to help with dry mouth. It makes your mouth produce more saliva which helps with the placque, tenderness, and bleeding. I only used the toothpaste but it did help. I'll post the name of the product later after checking.

Robin

seussfan
Facebook Username: Trish Lannon

Postby seussfan » Mon Jul 30, 2007 5:44 pm

My gums are sore on the sides and my tongue always feels a little dry. I had mouth sores the first 2 rounds and then never again.

I had a dentist appointment right before I started chemo and my dentist said any trouble with my mouth or teeth to call him - they had lots of things they could do to help me. One thing he mentioned was that a dry mouth can lead to plaque because you aren't getting flouride? (or something like that) so he could make molds of my teeth and give me a special flouride treatment to do at home to insure that I did not have problems. I am taking my son tomorrow so I am going to talk to him about it again to see if I should start doing it.

Talk to your dentist. I was surprised how much mine knew about chemo/cancer/mouth issues - he was really helpful and reassuring. :D
Stage 3 Colon Cancer-6 of 15 lymph nodes positive/Surgery & Dx 3-5-07/Finished Folfox4 11-28-07
Stage 0/Grade 3 Breast Cancer/Double mastectomy 5-15-09/Undergoing reconstruction
http://www.caringbridge.org/visit/trishlannon
2009 Colondar Model

Dress In Blue Girl

Postby Dress In Blue Girl » Mon Jul 30, 2007 5:50 pm

Thanks for the advice everyone, I did just go to the dentist a month ago I a had my cleaning maybe thats why it hurt. I just thought by now it would be better.
I guess I will call and ask.
Thanks
anita

IV feb 2005 colon resection,
folfori w/avastin,
Aug 2005 liver resection/rfa to get rid of 8 liver tumors
Sept 2005 folfox w/avastin NED!!!!
avastin till Jan 2007
port out July 2007

Be the change you want to see in the world

RobinS

Postby RobinS » Mon Jul 30, 2007 9:22 pm

Hi again,
The product the dental hygentist recommended was Biotene toothpaste. They make mouthwash, gum and toothpaste for dry mouth. She said the extreme dry mouth that having chemo (and the prescription mouthwash for sores) can cause the placque to be very sticky so regular brushing won't remove it. Having that extra placque causes the tenderness and bleeding according to her. I only bought the toothpaste, but it helped.

Robin

Return to “Colon Talk - Colon cancer (colorectal cancer) support forum”