Peter's got a brand new bag..

Please feel free to read, share your thoughts, your stories and connect with others!
LA8

Peter's got a brand new bag..

Postby LA8 » Sun Jul 22, 2007 7:01 am

Hi everyone (especially those facing a colostomy). Well, I've had the bag fitted. So what's the big deal? I've nearly got the hang of getting it on straight (I have a problem with this thing called a 'Molson Muscle' so I really need a mirror to do it). I've decided to just lift up my shirt and show it to all my friends so they will know what it looks like and will probably soon forget about it. Any one worried about wearing a bag should worry a little bit less. It's bot that bad!

PammySue_51

Postby PammySue_51 » Sun Jul 22, 2007 1:42 pm

Well, that's the spirit LA8. Good for you. Unfortunately, after nearly a year I am still self-conscious about my bag. I don't even like my husband to come into the bathroom when I am doing something with it. I suppose I'll get used to it eventually -- maybe 5 years from now :oops:

Pam
Pam

I Peter 5:10-11

Diagnosed 9/06 Stage IV, 19 mo. chemo, now out of chemo options except for possible clinical trials. 9/3/08 First of two Sir-Spheres procedures.

*Faith is the wind that blows the sail of our ship to the desired destination."

Loopy369

Postby Loopy369 » Sun Jul 22, 2007 2:29 pm

Hey Pete,

I know my ileostomy is hoped to be temporary(about 9 months), but I've got used to it really quickly.

When everything is settled down a bit more - I was going to say after your Molson's Muscle has healed, thinking it was something painful like a hernia, then googled it :lol: Anyway I was going to say, will you be able to consider trying irrigation? Hoping the nurses have mentioned this to you as I discussed it with mine before surgery as we didn't know what the outcome would be until I woke up and sneaked a hand down to see which side the bag was on!

I went out last night with friends, some who know, most don't - they're just friends of friends who don't even know about the cancer. Just over six weeks since surgery and it was really good, I was very tired after just an hour and a half, didn't eat anything so the bag didn't inflate and went to the loo 3 times to remove ANY air.

If you're showing your friends, it sounds like you're handling things well, I did have a few down days when I had skin problems but stoma nurses are amazing.

Best wishes for continued recovery

Lisa xx
Lisa

36, single mum of two (14 and 12) diagnosed Jan 07
Stage 3b (Rectal at 15cm)
7 weeks 5FU 24/7 Feb/Mar 07 with 5 weeks radiation.

TME, creation of J pouch and loop ileostomy 6th June 07
Another PICC line and 6 months chemo start 16th July 07

Lifes2short

Postby Lifes2short » Mon Jul 23, 2007 12:32 pm

I've had mine for more than a year. It's just become part of my life. I showed a few close friends at first too. I seldom feel self-concious about it. As a matter of fact, I'm just happy to be alive and I'd like to live with this thing for many many years, please.

I swim, hike, ski, camp... everything I did before. I have read a lot of posts from rectal cancer survivors who have been reconnected and have severe issues. Sounds like many are chained to their house most of the time because of their need to always be close to a bathroom. I'd much rather have the freedom of the bag.

I do miss wearing my two piece swim suit - though I still occasionally just put on a small stoma cap and wear it anyway. It just looks like I have a small bandage on my abdomen.

I guess the swim suit issue must be bigger for men - how to cover the bag? Regardless, these are small issues. I'm glad things are working out so well for you.

Return to “Colon Talk - Colon cancer (colorectal cancer) support forum”