Post-Op Resection and Colostomy Concerns

Please feel free to read, share your thoughts, your stories and connect with others!
Justine

Post-Op Resection and Colostomy Concerns

Postby Justine » Wed Jan 11, 2006 10:49 pm

Hi everyone,

On Dec 6th 2005, my 48yo. mom had surgery @ MSK to remove stage III CC. It's been a month into her recovery and I'm concerned her recovery is not progressing. In fact, she is the weakest she has ever been since surgery, and even weaker than during the intensive chemoradiation she endured. She has zero appetite and would never get out of bed if not for my begging. Needless to say, she has no muscle or energy left (and has lost 80 lbs since her diagnosis less than 1 yr ago). I guess my question goes out to others who are or have been post-op. How long did it take to regain an appetite and strength? Any other advice about post-op topics is also appreciated!

I wish everyone out there the strength and support to fight

Justine

lisa

Postby lisa » Thu Jan 12, 2006 6:31 am

Justine, I had surgery Nov 3, I'm 38 satge 3c and I know it seemed to take a long time to get fully back up and around. I felt the worst of all about a month after my surgery - my lowest point was after round one of chemo. I didn't leave my bed much during much of this time and it seemed hard to regain my energy and strength so you're mom isn't alone. However she does need to push herself to get out of bed and get moving. She WILL feel better for it. Somedays it's my husband that keeps me going and I'm always glad he did. If you're really concerned about her though, call her doctor and share your concerns.

Lisa
www.lisaschaos.blog-city.com

sue

keep trying

Postby sue » Thu Jan 12, 2006 10:18 am

Justine,
I am 48 like your mom with stage 3 cc. I had surgery too(plus a second surgery for scar tissue) It sounds like maybe your mom is suffering from a clinical depression on top of her cancer symptoms. Of course I'm not a Dr. but the medical profession just does not have a clue how to treat someone like a whole person. They react so often as if you are a collection of cells. If anyone asked me what I thought was most important to my health I would say excercise. (but your mom doesn't need to hear that now, it will make her feel worse) She just needs to get up. Getting her moving a little is essential to stimulate digestion, help her apetite, and generally boost her endorphins and immune system. If her Dr. can maybe give her a script for an antidepressant it might help get things moving in the right direction. This is so hard. You are wonderful not to give up on her. I have a nickname for my husband (evil monkey from the family guy) because so many times he just stood there and stood there forcing me to get up out of my safe little bed. I'm sure your mom draws a lot of strength from you. Bless you and best wishes. Sue

rudyjet

Re: Post-Op Resection and Colostomy Concerns

Postby rudyjet » Thu Jan 12, 2006 5:59 pm

Justine wrote:Hi everyone,

On Dec 6th 2005, my 48yo. mom had surgery @ MSK to remove stage III CC. It's been a month into her recovery and I'm concerned her recovery is not progressing. In fact, she is the weakest she has ever been since surgery, and even weaker than during the intensive chemoradiation she endured. She has zero appetite and would never get out of bed if not for my begging. Needless to say, she has no muscle or energy left (and has lost 80 lbs since her diagnosis less than 1 yr ago). I guess my question goes out to others who are or have been post-op. How long did it take to regain an appetite and strength? Any other advice about post-op topics is also appreciated!

I wish everyone out there the strength and support to fight

Justine
I was 41 when I had my colon cancer surgery which resulted in requiring a permanent colostomy. I was in the hospital for 24 days and off of work for 5 months and it was a year before I returned to normal. Your mom needs to at least walk around the bed room every day, eat as much as possible, :D :wink: food that will restore her energy and be patient with her recovery. Your love and encouragement will get her back to normal. This past Dec. 30 was 34 years since my surgery.
Our prayers are with you and your mom.

Rudy

ASTEPHENS33

Long Receovery Times

Postby ASTEPHENS33 » Thu Jan 12, 2006 6:21 pm

My cousin had a colon resection about 15 years ago. He told me that it was just that past year that he was able to stop using laxatives or stool softeners. So it can take a while to physically recover. Emotionally, I know I was initially very angry/why me and now I'm grateful for all having the medical support, my family, etc. I think your caring about your mom, indicates how important she is to you and how much support and love she much have.

Return to “Colon Talk - Colon cancer (colorectal cancer) support forum”