Worried about break in chemo

Please feel free to read, share your thoughts, your stories and connect with others!
Sue

Worried about break in chemo

Postby Sue » Wed Jan 11, 2006 9:20 pm

I recently had a "setback" with surgery for a small bowel obstruction. It turned out to be only scar tissue (no cancer) but it had to be removed surgically. This has caused a break in my chemo schedule. I had completed three treatments prior to this and now will be "off" three extra weeks while I heal from surgery. My oncologist says it is "of no consequence clinically", but I keep worrying. (my hobby) Can anyone tell me any stories that might ease my mind? Thanks Sue

MB

worried about break in chemo

Postby MB » Fri Jan 13, 2006 1:35 pm

hi Sue,

I'm a stage IV cancer survivor and I had a blockage after my first chemo - I actually had surgery for it a year ago today. I was in the hospital for 2 weeks and lost another 10 lbs, which I couldnt' afford to lose. I was concerned about the delay as well - but it all worked out fine. This monday I was cancer-free and no more chemo. I had 19 chemos and 60% of my liver removed - (which had two tumors!)

Everything will be fine - just keep a positive attitude - that's what I did and it really helped. I also had a huge prayer chain that helped me too.

Keep the faith and be strong. Just get well from surgery.

Good luck!
MB

Dot

TO MB: What chemo receipe did you take?

Postby Dot » Tue Jan 17, 2006 10:26 pm

Hi MB - what did you take for your chemo? My husband was diagnosed Oct 05 with Stage IV CC with 2 tumors to his liver. He is only 39. His chemo was delayed as his incision would not heal, finally 1 month after the lst surgery he had another surgery where he was reopened down to the bottom layer. He now had to heal from the inside out. His belly was opened down about 6 inches. They used a "sponge vaccum dressing" to help with healing. Oh, I forgot to mention that he is a diabetic on insulin so healing comes slowly. After 10 days in the hospital he came home and we went back 3x weekly to get the dressing changed. All along they would not start his chemo. Finally on 12-14-05 they started his chemo. Since they wanted to keep his white blood cell count up they started him on Neulasta. He needs the white blood cells to fight any infection and he is not on antibiotics. He gets chemo every 2 weeks of Oxipliatin, Leucovorin and 5FU for a 46 hour infusion (FOLFAX 6). He cannot start Avastin because his belly wound is still healing. (It is now 1/2 inch deep and 3 inches long)
The Avastin is supposed to attack the blood supply to the liver tumors, but they are afraid it also would affect his wound healing. How long and how often were you on Chemo? When did you have the surgery on your liver? It is only because of the wonderful people on this site that we have the hope. None of our doctors have given us much hope. Stay strong!

Return to “Colon Talk - Colon cancer (colorectal cancer) support forum”