Georgetown University Hospital - Cyberknife Advances

Please feel free to read, share your thoughts, your stories and connect with others!
sean

Georgetown University Hospital - Cyberknife Advances

Postby sean » Fri Jul 13, 2007 5:04 pm

Some nice advances in technology. There was an article in the georgetown university health letter that just came about how this is now used very successfully for liver and lung tumors. Not the exact article, but some of the same info:

http://www.georgetownuniversityhospital ... il&ref=156

Some of the quotes from the article in the newsletter:

"because of its accuracy, the Cyberknife produces surgical-like outcomes for tumors that conventional surgery simply can't reach"

"With these instruments, when we find a tumor we can treat it"
42 - dx Jan 3 2007 stage IIA colon
9 FOLFOX4, 3 5-FU completed Sep 24 2007
Blockage symptoms, Negative Colonoscopy, Positive PET Oct 2009
2nd Resection Oct 2009 - Suspected Local Recurrence was Negative

Lifes2short

Postby Lifes2short » Fri Jul 13, 2007 9:53 pm

Cool article. And very timely for me. There's a Cyberknife building under construction right behind my cancer clinic. The nurses at the clinic were all complaining about it the other day because the building will block the view from the chemo room. Seems the building owner is leasing to Utah Cancer and Cyberknife, but they are not affiliated. I remembered reading something about it in the past and I was pretty sure that Cyberknife had something to do with cancer.

This is great news for someone like me - I have inoperable liver mets and now some small spots starting to show up in my lungs. Maybe these guys can buy me more time.

Thanks for posting.

sean

Postby sean » Fri Jul 13, 2007 10:07 pm

I hope it can help. It certainly seems very promising for mets. If you want to contact the dept at Georgetown they included this contact info at the end of the article:

"For more information about CyberKnife, or to arrange a consultation, contact GeorgetownMD at 202.342.2400 or toll-free at 866-745-2633."

It looks like there website is a bit behind in publishing. When I see the full article text published I'll post a link.
42 - dx Jan 3 2007 stage IIA colon
9 FOLFOX4, 3 5-FU completed Sep 24 2007
Blockage symptoms, Negative Colonoscopy, Positive PET Oct 2009
2nd Resection Oct 2009 - Suspected Local Recurrence was Negative

scmguru

Postby scmguru » Sat Jul 14, 2007 7:32 pm

Folks,

For those of you that want to see a list of centers in the US (or in the world) where this technique is used you can go this website....

http://www.cksociety.org/PatientInfo/CK ... ations.asp

I recall talking to someone that had used this technique and was very happy with the results....I am considering it also.

Good Luck
SCMGuru-StageIV-Non-Resectable Liver Meth...for now

Lifes2short

Postby Lifes2short » Sat Jul 14, 2007 8:22 pm

I checked out Cyberknife's website. Not a lot of info related to cancer. I read one patient testimony - someone who had a cancer removed from his sacrum (I have a tumor there). The surgery went well, but the cancer was back four months later - so not a whole lot of hope there. Lots of Cyberknife clinics all over the country. I'll have to check 'em out when they get established here.

sue

cyber knife

Postby sue » Sun Jul 15, 2007 5:51 pm

I posted information on the cyber kife a few times before...no one ever replied.....

sean wrote:I hope it can help. It certainly seems very promising for mets. If you want to contact the dept at Georgetown they included this contact info at the end of the article:

"For more information about CyberKnife, or to arrange a consultation, contact GeorgetownMD at 202.342.2400 or toll-free at 866-745-2633."

It looks like there website is a bit behind in publishing. When I see the full article text published I'll post a link.
Oct 2003 surgery 36 weeks 5FU

Dec 2006-mets to liver and lymph nodes (stage 1V ) Had liver resection/radiation/chemo

2008 nodes on lungs started FOLFOX4, 5FU/leucovorin, avastin. After 10 cycles no change

Oct 2008 started 5-FU

May 2009-Folfox4

Return to “Colon Talk - Colon cancer (colorectal cancer) support forum”