Same drug + different procedure can give different results?

Please feel free to read, share your thoughts, your stories and connect with others!
Anonymous99

Same drug + different procedure can give different results?

Postby Anonymous99 » Fri Jul 13, 2007 1:33 pm

Hi,

My brother was diagnosed with Stage IV colon cancer in yearly 2006 when he was just 28. He underwent a full year of chemo (FOLFOX) with very good initial results, but in December it wasn't working anymore. He changed to another chemo protocol in January (whose name I can't remember) but without results either. The good news is that he is very strong and physically fine.

Right now we have two distinct advices from two different hospitals:
- Combine the same products but using a very tight delivery schedule (they call it chrono-chemotherapy).
- Enter a stage I clinical trial (I have few details on this).

Right now I have a specific question. Is it possible that drugs that are no longer having any effect, be again active if administered differently?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Thank you,
S.

sean

Postby sean » Fri Jul 13, 2007 2:10 pm

Is it possible that drugs that are no longer having any effect, be again active if administered differently?

Thats probably a question to ask an oncologist. Everyone reacts differently so it would certainly seem possible. If the effectiveness change was due to the dosage level of oxaliplatin, you may ask about a protocol called OPTIMOX which I think is FOLFOX7 6 cycles on with breaks to just maintain tumor size and help minimize the side effects of oxaliplatin. I stumbled across this a few days ago so I don't know a lot. It was phase III in 2004. Here's the ASCO summary:

http://www.asco.org/portal/site/ASCO/me ... actID=2639

Its also known as "stop and go" (scroll down):

http://www.medscape.com/viewarticle/554064

I wish your brother the best.
42 - dx Jan 3 2007 stage IIA colon
9 FOLFOX4, 3 5-FU completed Sep 24 2007
Blockage symptoms, Negative Colonoscopy, Positive PET Oct 2009
2nd Resection Oct 2009 - Suspected Local Recurrence was Negative

Return to “Colon Talk - Colon cancer (colorectal cancer) support forum”