Chemo, Round Two ding ding ding ding

Please feel free to read, share your thoughts, your stories and connect with others!
Billy

Chemo, Round Two ding ding ding ding

Postby Billy » Mon Jan 09, 2006 8:10 pm

Alright clubbers, here we go!!!! I started my second round of chemo today with the new and lovely drug Oxaliplatin. Sure, some of you warned me of the side effects. Sure, my oncologist warned me of the side effects. Sure the nurse gave me some documentation of the side effects. But, me being me, I didn’t listen to any of you, I needed to find this out for myself. Why oh why did I need to find this out for myself??? I haven’t gotten such pain from a can of Pepsi since that time in college when Brian Jenetski thought it would be funny to hurl one at my ass. Fraternities and chemo have a lot in common.

Thanks for all the words of support, as always. I’m going to attempt to blog this experience. I’m not quite sure why, but I figure one day I’m going to be a very famous writer, so eventually there will be quite a demand for anything I’ve put down. Here it is http://billyscolon.blogspot.com

Billy
Rage, rage against the dying of the light.

http://billyscolon.blogspot.com

Traybug

Postby Traybug » Mon Jan 09, 2006 9:31 pm

Dan describes it almost the same as you do! He couldn't believe how quickly the drug affected him! It's crazy! He had his ninth week of the damn stuff today and he is sooooo tired of drinking luke warm beverages.

He learns things the hard way too, so of course he kept trying to drink cold things for a while...but then he gave up!!! Like it was mind over matter or something. He says swallowing something cold makes him feel like his throat is going to close up...very annoying and scary! Especially when you are craving a cold drink!

Well my friend, I wish you good luck. I read your blog and as always, you are quite the comedian!

Hang in there. What's your address? I'll send you some hot chocolate...in bulk!

Take care,

Tracey

Billy

Dan

Postby Billy » Mon Jan 09, 2006 9:36 pm

Tracey,

When this is all over, I'm getting a keg and Dan and I are going to sit inside a walkin fridge and drink the whole thing.

B

edinaman

Postby edinaman » Mon Jan 09, 2006 10:51 pm

Billy, I finished chemo this past May. Oxal is quite the drug. The chemo nurses said though that it does wonders and was put into use immediately from trials. I remember heating my orange juice in the microwave every morning. Warm oj is really tasty! I also remember going to the grocery one day and reaching into the freezer case and dropping the package I picked up. At least in Minnesota, during the winter, if you walk around with gloves, no one looks at you strangely. I did find that the week after chemo, I could usually drink cooler drinks and eat ice cream in small bites. Once when they postponed chemo for an extra week, I could eat whatever I wanted. I suppose that is the reward for having to add a week every now and then to the end of chemo.

BLAKE

OXALIPLATIN

Postby BLAKE » Tue Jan 10, 2006 8:52 am

I'VE BEEN ON IT FOR 14 MONTHS NOW. DRINK LOTS OF GATORAIDE AT ROOM TEMP. I CAN DRINK COLD SODAS IF I USE A STRAW AND SIP IT IN SMALL AMOUNTS. OF COURSE YOU NEED TO FIND WHAT WORKS FOR YOU. I AM A STAGE IV FIGHTER WITH TWO SURGERIES UNDER MY BELT AND A THIRD ON THE 24TH OF THIS MONTH. HANG IN THERE AND KEEP THE FAITH-----BLAKE

Postby Guest » Tue Jan 10, 2006 9:55 am

I hear you about good ole Oxaliplatin!! I was one of the lucky ones who could drink cold and iced drinks after the 4th or 5th day of treatment each time. The bad thing about it for me is that I have been off Chemo since the first week of August and still have numb hands and feet. :cry: It gets better and I think it is going away then it comes back. My surgeon said that nerve ending damage takes the longest to heal so hang in there it could take 8 months or so before I get back to normal. I hope he is right because a friend of my sisters had Colon Cancer treatment 5 years ago and still has numb fingers and toes!!! Just keep hanging in there and I guess if that is the worst side effect I have and and cancer free, I can deal with this!!! :D Sorry I couldn't get logged in on here from work so looks like I am guest but am a regular here! LOL

Hugs Peg

CMeeks

Postby CMeeks » Tue Jan 10, 2006 11:54 am

Hey Billy,

Sorry to hear you have to do chemo again. I'm on the ox too. Has your tongue gone numb yet? My tongue is always numb through a treatment and for about 3 days after. Then it sort of comes back, but never entirely. I drink warm everything....so gross. But I hear that it's a really good, effective chemo drug.

I'm taking a little B6 to help with the numbness.

Also, don't forget to protect your face when you're out in the cold. You don't want to end up with saggy lip -- not attractive.

Keeping you in my thoughts,

Chet
Chet

Holly32

Postby Holly32 » Tue Jan 10, 2006 9:11 pm

Hi Everyone. All of these comments about Oxyblahblahblah has got me freaked out!! I start it on Thursday. My biggest concern is the numb hands. I am a court stenographer and plan on working during this three months. Am I totally kidding myself by thinking that I can?? Please help. I'm going to get it for two hours every other week. -Holly

edinaman

Postby edinaman » Tue Jan 10, 2006 10:09 pm

Holly 32, don't freak out yet. Everyone reacts differently to the drugs. I had just a little tingling on a few finger tips and toes. It did not affect anything that I did. I even continued to do aerobics most of the time, just not as hard or fast. The sensitivity to cold is the most predictable side effect. Your mind is a powerful tool. Sometimes you may feel like you have a symptom because you think you should. It's like they told me that some people get nauseous just walking into the onc's office before even getting their chemo. Keep us posted. There are usually things to help with most side effects.

Postby Guest » Wed Jan 11, 2006 9:06 am

Hi Holly,
I just had tingling in fingers and toes that would go away after a few days during the treatment. I worked fulltime through the whole treatment and I am a secretary doing a lot of typing. You can do it!! The tingly numbies stayed after the last treatment and as I said above, still hasn't gone away. They are right when they say everyone reacts differently to these drugs so don't panic yet for sure. I am still hopeful that it will go away. Could be that since I was lucky and could take the full strength treatment the whole 6 months that my body just has more of it to get rid of and will take a bit longer. No matter, I will be happy with whatever I end up with as long as I am cured!! :lol:

Hang in there! Peg

lisa

Postby lisa » Wed Jan 11, 2006 10:37 am

I am absolutely amazed that we all experience the side effects differently. I have had 3 Oxali so far, due again this friday. My doctor has been trying the infusion of calcium and magnesium prior to and after the Oxali to help with the neuropathy. I have had only one treatment without those aides and I did notice I had tingly toes and my upper lip in addition to the fingers and nose and throat.

With the calcium and magnesium I only have tingly fingers for a few days and only when cold air or objects touch them. I can't drink cold stuff for 3-5 days after each treatment but so far I can for the rest of the time between which is good because I like tons of ice in my drinks. Sometimes I can drink it but can't touch the cup. :)

Lisa
www.lisaschaos.blog-city.com

Billy

Thanks

Postby Billy » Wed Jan 11, 2006 3:45 pm

First of all, thank all of you for the support, as always.

Holly, the tingling in the fingers has seemed to go away for the most part. It was just that first day that it seemed to be an issue. Stay strong, and you can do whatever you want!! Use the collective strength given to you here by all these wonderful people.

Chet, good to hear from you again!! I'm staying strong. I hope your fight is going well too.

Billy

lisa

Postby lisa » Tue Jan 31, 2006 4:43 am

Billy, I have been following your blog and wanted to comment several times but dang blogger won't let me in. It says my settings for cookies are worng but I followed the steps and they're ok. Oh well. I enjoy your blog and can absolutely relate to how you feel. You help remind me that I'm not alone and I just wanted to do the same for you. We're here together taking one step after another. :)

lisa
www.lisaschaos.blog-city.com

Holly

Wow

Postby Holly » Tue Jan 31, 2006 12:54 pm

Billy,

Kinda like frost bite huh? A burn....we love it we like it we want more of it!

I can't wait to hear all about your Knock out!

Be strong and know tha tyou are in my thoughts and prayers!

Hugs!

Holly

Holly

Wow

Postby Holly » Fri Nov 17, 2006 10:29 pm

Oh Billy where arth thou? I hope that you are well and do update the colon club on your progress!

Hugs!

Holly

Return to “Colon Talk - Colon cancer (colorectal cancer) support forum”