reconnection any advice

Please feel free to read, share your thoughts, your stories and connect with others!
janette

reconnection any advice

Postby janette » Thu Jul 12, 2007 12:25 am

Hi I have wrote before but realy need peoples advice. My mom had a colostomy. Part of her rectum was saved, and she will be getting reconnected. The doctor said she will always have 6-7 bowel movement a day for the rest of her life. She is very scared.. She is already weak and lost alot of weight. Has anyone gone through this? Or can i find a site where people have gone through this? Thanks so much.

cherryames

Colostomy reversal

Postby cherryames » Thu Jul 12, 2007 10:24 am

I highly recommend this website for info on colostomies and reversals:

http://www.ostomates.org/index.html

I had a colostomy for about five months and had it successfully reversed. I have not had any problems at all. The worst part was the healing of the wound, which takes awhile and has a wet to dry packing that must be changed daily. A visiting nurse or family member can do this. Otherwise, all went well and I know your mother will be fine.

shel28

Postby shel28 » Thu Jul 12, 2007 2:52 pm

I'm getting my illeostomy reversed soon and I don't have a rectum at all. I think it will take time to get used to it but it should be ok. I heard it can take a couple of months to a year to get the number of bowel movements down. At least your Mom still has part of her rectum. That should help with control since it acts as the storage tank. You can check back with me in a month to see how I am doing. I wish her luck.
Michelle. Stage III rectal cancer. Diagnosed Dec. 27, 2006. 28 years old. Los Angeles, CA and Denver, CO.

Return to “Colon Talk - Colon cancer (colorectal cancer) support forum”