Xeloda users

Please feel free to read, share your thoughts, your stories and connect with others!
Smethport

Re: Xeloda users

Postby Smethport » Sun Dec 05, 2010 12:14 pm

I don't know if it is because I am on Medicare and have a good policy with Independent Health Encompass, but my Xeloda for 1800 mg per cycle was absolutely free. I couldn't believe it at first because I had heard that the med was expensive, but was pleasantly surprised. I am happy to hear that you can donate the unused pills back to onc clinic. I had the script refilled before my doc stopped me from taking it any longer. I did three courses, so I guess that is better than nothing for my Stage 11A cc.

My neice-in law's brother has Lynch syndrome and his scripts cost him about $200, so I will ask if he wants to use my pills. I havent even opened them, or touched them. I would rather that than throw them out. God bless.
Adenoca colon, Stage 11A
Right hemicolectomy 2/9/10
MSI-stable
Three courses of Xeloda

weisssoccermom

Postby weisssoccermom » Sun Dec 05, 2010 3:57 pm

Just out of curiousity, I went to my insurance website - the Xeloda would now be under the tier system and with the standard option, it's only a two tier system. My copay for brand medicine is 50% of the contracted price up to a max of $200 for a $30 day script. I guess that's better than the percentage method that our older insurance used. My secondary insurance is much better - a $35 copay for a 30 day supply - so between the two it's covered in full.

I do think that since I was on Xeloda (2006/07) insurance companies have come to realize that Xeloda is a 'standard' treatment and have put the drug on their formulary. Since there is no 'generic', we're forced to pay our brand name copays. Still, better than nothing.
Dx 6/22/2006 IIA rectal cancer
6 wks rad/Xeloda -finished 9/06
1st attempt transanal excision 11/06
11/17/06 XELOX 1 cycle
5 months Xeloda only Dec '06 - April '07
10+ blood clots, 1 DVT 1/07
transanal excision 4/20/07 path-NO CANCER CELLS!
NED now and forever!
Perform random acts of kindness

betsydoglover
Facebook Username: Betsy Lindh Williams

Postby betsydoglover » Sun Dec 05, 2010 4:03 pm

As I understand it, Medicare considers Xeloda to be a chemo treatment and it costs nothing under Part A. Most (all?) private insurance companies have not caught up - their view is that if you get it at a pharmacy, then it comes under "prescription drug coverage" which normally has varying copays. They should catch up with Medicare! On the other hand, Medicare probably only does this because it started paying for Xeloda when it had no prescription drug program - if one day they figure this out, Medicare might start charging.
Betsy
diag. Stage IV, 5/05, liver met
lap sigmoid colectomy, 6/05
6 cycles Xeloda/oxaliplatin/Avastin (NED after 2)
11/08 9x13mm right lower lobe lung nodule; removed via VATS 4/09
NED
6 cycles Xeloda + Avastin
Avastin only 10/09-5/11
Still NED 06/18

Return to “Colon Talk - Colon cancer (colorectal cancer) support forum”