Chemo side effect?

Please feel free to read, share your thoughts, your stories and connect with others!
cbroughton

Chemo side effect?

Postby cbroughton » Mon Jan 09, 2006 9:32 am

My daughter is 22 and was diagnosed with Stage IIIb on Nov. 29, 2005...a date I will never forget! She had surgery that day and started chemo on Friday, Jan 6. She is getting oxyplatin, levokoran (my spellings are probably wrong), and a pump infusion of the standard FulFox, plus Avastin (a trial). Friday and Sat. she was fine, but Sunday not so so good. The expected nausea (Compozine helped once I got her to take it every six hours or so.) The most troublesome side effect was the clenching of her jaw muscles which travelled down to her throat and chest. This seemed to come in waves and last 20 minutes then left for ten.
Has anyone ever heard of this or experienced it?
BTW, I ordered 2 Colondars....one for her room at grad. school and one for home. We love them! Thank you Molly and all who have been involved in this project.

Fishy

Postby Fishy » Mon Jan 09, 2006 3:10 pm

oxylaplatin has always caused my whole mouth and throat area to be extremely sensitive, including my jaw.i had to learn to chew things very softly.oylaplatin also has caused me chest pains that sometimes feel like i'm choking.
Jenny Fish

Postby Guest » Mon Jan 09, 2006 3:32 pm

I have had those exact side effects. It usually gets better after the first few days. I hope she feels better. I have a daughter the same age. What a brave girl. Bless you both. Sue

Postby Guest » Mon Jan 09, 2006 4:26 pm

I have had those exact side effects. It usually gets better after the first few days. I hope she feels better. I have a daughter the same age. What a brave girl. Bless you both. Sue

susanz

chemo side effect?

Postby susanz » Mon Jan 09, 2006 6:34 pm

my daughter is also 22 and was diagnosed last april with stage 3 rectal. after her first chemo treatment she had some of the same side effects. her teeth clenched so hard we were afraid she would break one of them. the muscles in her neck were so tight that her head kept being pulled first to one side, then to the other. we called her doctor and she knew right away that she was having a reaction to one of the anti nausea meds. she told us to give her benedryl. it helped but not enough. she had us go to the emergency room for a benedryl drip. that worked like magic!
my daughter is finishing up her senior year of engineering school. she has been able to keep up with the work, somehow.

this website is a gift. i have learned so much through everyone's postings. most of all, i'm amazed at how many young people out there are going through (or have gone through) what my daughter is. i know we are not alone! thank you all ! susan

Return to “Colon Talk - Colon cancer (colorectal cancer) support forum”