slow metabolism

Please feel free to read, share your thoughts, your stories and connect with others!
momof2crazyboyz

slow metabolism

Postby momof2crazyboyz » Fri Jul 06, 2007 9:08 pm

Has anyone had this problem.. I have been out of chemo since Jan. I am having a hard time losing weight -- my onc said that my metabolism will be affected for up to a year post chemo..can not lose weight at all..exercise, cut down on calories, but still having a hard time... any ideas? Thanks Cathy
STOP COLON CANCER -- MOON A DOCTOR!
Stage II CC NED 3/07 (HNPCC - Lynch Syndrome)

KalisaO

Postby KalisaO » Fri Jul 06, 2007 11:10 pm

I finished up with chemo in Jan as well and I am struggling too. I have just started to notice my body changing ever so slightly. I put on about 10 lbs during chemo and have been slowly becoming more and more active. I feel like my mind feels like it still deserves the ice cream I used to crave after chemo. However, I have been doing yoga since January and have just started training for a 1/2 marathon. One suggestion I received from my acupuncturist was to continue to receive the B12 shot I used to receive for my red blood count...that it would help jump start my metabolism. I don't know if it really made a difference, but mentally it helped me. Good Luck

ASTEPHENS33

Same Here

Postby ASTEPHENS33 » Sat Jul 07, 2007 2:35 am

SOURCE: Abstract #4019 ASCO 2007 Gastrointestinal (Colorectal) Cancer Poster Display/Discussion Session - Stage III colon cancer patients who followed a "Western diet" with emphasis on red meat, fat, refined grains, and dessert were significantly more likely to have their cancer return that those who reported they ate a "prudent diet" with emphasis on higher intakes of fruit and vegetables, poultry, and fish. Patients whose diet most closely resembled the Western pattern and fell into the fifth quintile were nearly four times more likely to have their cancer return or die within 3 years that those in the first quintile who ate the most prudent pattern foods. Risk of dying or having cancer return was was 3.91 times higher for Western pattern eaters. Recurrence risk was 3.14 times higher.

My weight remained the same during the first four months of chemo and then I put on about 20 lbs. This, I attributed to, a change in metabolism, but it has been about a year since completing and I've put on another 15 pounds. I know I am eating badly - the Western diet - that is described here - so not only am I heavier and have all those "body image" issues to deal with, but now am increasing my risk for a recurrence.

Return to “Colon Talk - Colon cancer (colorectal cancer) support forum”