ARTICLE FOR HOPE,INTERESTING STAGE 4 INFO

Please feel free to read, share your thoughts, your stories and connect with others!
scottg

ARTICLE FOR HOPE,INTERESTING STAGE 4 INFO

Postby scottg » Wed Jul 04, 2007 12:40 pm

news-medical.net
anyone heard good news on avemar?????

Targeted therapies improve colon cancer survival rates
Medical Condition News
Published: Wednesday, 4-Apr-2007
Printer Friendly Email to a Friend

People diagnosed with advanced colorectal cancer that has spread to distant organs, such as White House spokesman Tony Snow, are much more likely to survive today than even just a few years ago, due to the recent and continued emergence of improved therapies, say cancer experts.
"Anyone who looks at this as a death sentence is wrong," said Dr. Allyson Ocean, a gastrointestinal oncologist at Weill Cornell Medical College, quoted in a CBS News report, in reference to Snow's diagnosis just a few days ago of Stage IV (advanced) colon cancer.

The reason that statement can be made today -- when it would not have been true even five years ago -- is due mainly to the availability now of newer treatments known as "targeted" therapies that boost main therapies by hitting specific molecular targets driving the origin and growth of tumors, say cancer experts.

Snow has the option of adding the targeted therapy bevacuzimab (trade name Avastin) to one of the chemotherapy regimens most often used in Stage IV colon cancer. Doing so is more effective than using the chemotherapy alone, according to the American Cancer Society (ACS).

Such adjunctive treatments are one reason treatment of advanced colon cancer today can be curative, notes the ACS website.

Not all the new targeted compounds are pharmaceutical products, or even drugs per se.

A naturally-occurring extract of fermented wheat germ (FWGE, trade name Avemar, Ave in the US), has been shown to substantially boost the efficacy of conventional therapies against a wide range of cancers, while lessening side effects of those drugs.

Researchers at UCLA found Avemar targets the transketolase (TK) pathway, a biochemical pathway that cancer cells -- but not normal cells -- preferentially use to rapidly make DNA for the fast cell division that makes cancer such a threat. It leaves normal cells unaffected.

Other studies found eight additional molecular targets the compound addresses, preventing the development of cancerous and precancerous lesions, reducing risk of cancer spread, stimulating cancer cell suicide and improving the anticancer effects of chemotherapy drugs.

In Hungary, where Avemar is approved as a medical nutriment in support of cancer therapy, colorectal cancer patients using Avemar along with conventional therapy had less metastases, fewer recurrences, and lived significantly longer. (A medical nutriment has supportive value in the treatment of colorectal cancer, Br J Cancer 2003 Aug 4;89(3):465-9.) Avemar became available in 2005 in the US as a nutritional supplement, Ave, from American BioSciences, Inc.

In childhood cancer patients, Avemar reduced incidences of febrile neutropenia -- low white blood cell count resulting in infection and high fever that can be life threatening. (Fermented Wheat Germ Extract Reduces Chemotherapy-Induced Febrile Neutropenia in Pediatric Cancer Patients, J Pediatr Hematol Oncol 26 (10), October 2004.) It showed none of the side effects of conventional drugs meant to boost blood cell count, and "has the safety profile of bread" according to expert toxicologists who reviewed toxicology test data on the compound.

Additional studies showed the extract improved physical condition and quality of life of late stage and other cancer patients during and following conventional treatment, partly by preventing immunosuppressive side-effects; making cancer related cachexia ("wasting" and weight loss) less likely to occur; reducing fatigue, and enhancing the ability of the immune system's natural killer (NK) cells to identify and kill cancer cells, among other effects.

http://www.americanbiosciences.com

missjv

Postby missjv » Thu Jul 05, 2007 9:19 am

hi,
i read that as well. my doc told me there are different stages in stage 4 if that makes sense. if stage 4 mets are caught in their early stages before sympstoms they respond better to treatment where as a stage 4 who has symptoms such as liver problems or respitory problems seem to respond less because the cancer is way more advanced. thats what happened to my brothers friend he died from liver failure he went to hospital with severe right sided pain and yellowing of the eyes and was dead 2 weeks later because his liver was completely covered in colon cancer. and if cancer mets can be surgically removed most have a better outcome. i guess it all depends where you are in stage 4, i just wish someone would come up with a cure.

missjv

Lifes2short

Postby Lifes2short » Fri Jul 06, 2007 12:12 pm

Interesting article. So why aren't we all being encouraged to take Aramar? Can we get it locally? I wonder if it's for real.

sue

Avemar--purchace

Postby sue » Sat Jul 07, 2007 5:49 pm

I just ordered it here;

http://www.nutritiongeeks.com/details2. ... term=24513

Lifes2short wrote:Interesting article. So why aren't we all being encouraged to take Aramar? Can we get it locally? I wonder if it's for real.
Oct 2003 surgery 36 weeks 5FU

Dec 2006-mets to liver and lymph nodes (stage 1V ) Had liver resection/radiation/chemo

2008 nodes on lungs started FOLFOX4, 5FU/leucovorin, avastin. After 10 cycles no change

Oct 2008 started 5-FU

May 2009-Folfox4

Return to “Colon Talk - Colon cancer (colorectal cancer) support forum”