Mom's first treatment went well

Please feel free to read, share your thoughts, your stories and connect with others!
Angie'sKid

Mom's first treatment went well

Postby Angie'sKid » Wed Nov 24, 2010 9:51 am

Monday, 11/15, my Mom had her first chemo treatment. Like someone mentioned on Bill's thread, the worst part is the fear of the unknown. I'm so glad I was able to be there for her first treatment, although I'm sad I won't be able to be there for every one. When they disconnected the pump on Wednesday, I told her, "One down, eleven more to go!" :lol:

She was tired the first day (heck, we were at the center from 9 to 4:30 what with all the blood work, meeting with the onc, hurry up and wait), great the second day (we ran errands and had a lovely lunch), but then she felt icky off and on the next two days. By the time I left on Sunday, she was pretty peppy and when I talked to her last night she was back to her usual happy self.

We did alot of strategizing: what will she do when she doesn't feel like eating, when does she need to contact the dr, etc. I also made sure she understood exactly what the pump was for, why she's going through chemo, why she has to take care of her immune system, etc. She really likes her dr., but she can talk too fast sometimes and her accent sometimes makes her tough to understand. And Mom doesn't always like to interrupt and ask for clarification.

Anyway, I'm glad she's getting started with treatment and I continue to pray things will go well. It was just so hard for me to see her feeling icky (one night I came into the dining room to see her sitting with her head on the dining table while she insisted "I'm fine, I'm fine!") knowing that I can't be there 24/7. :cry: But this Thanksgiving week I'm thankful for all the love and support Mom has gotten from everyone around her, that makes this a bit easier to bear.

Happy Thanksgiving!
Mom dx 9/2010, Colon cancer
T3N1MX
10/2010 Surgery to remove tumor
11/2010 1st round of Folfox
4/2011 5-FU replaced with Xeloda
9 out of 11 rounds complete!!!!

"Don't make me get on my broom!!!"

Return to “Colon Talk - Colon cancer (colorectal cancer) support forum”