has anyone else had an anal fissure?

Please feel free to read, share your thoughts, your stories and connect with others!
Ruth

has anyone else had an anal fissure?

Postby Ruth » Mon Jul 02, 2007 9:55 pm

HI, have any of you ever had an anal fissure? Wow, it is something else! My doc said that I have developed one due to the damage from the radiation to the rectum for rectal cancer. If any of you have ever had one, could you please post with your plan of treatment...I do know one thing, eating popcorn is a big no-no!! Thanks, Ruth

cynnycal

Postby cynnycal » Mon Jul 02, 2007 10:16 pm

oooh oooh ooh!! i have, i have!!

i think chemo and a multitude of digital rectal exams, etc. all lead to it.

yea, anal fissures are a BEEEEEEEE-YAAATCH.

and, i don't have too much of a real effective plan of action other than Sitz baths are your friend (i was taking like...four or five a day)
anamantle cream, and lidocaine creams are your friend
as are tucks wipes, prep-h wipes, stool softener and milk of magnesia.

ultimately i had botox shots injected right into my anus (WOW was that fun)
and that provided the most relief ever.

and i know that i don't ever have to worry about getting em ever ever again. those nasty lil' bastards. (no anus or hole left to be torn)

johnmeissner

Postby johnmeissner » Tue Jul 03, 2007 7:04 am

I had an anal fissure a couple of months ago. I was really worried about a recurrance, because I didn't know what was going on. So, my wife and I drove 2 1/2 hours to see the doctor, waited an hour + in his waiting room, then finally got to see the doctor. We talked, his instruments were all ready to go, then he started his exam. It ended up lasting about 30 seconds. "Oh, you have an anal fissure!" Prescriptions for a couple of creams like Cynnycal got(One to fix the fissure, the other for pain-if needed-it wasn't) and it was back in the car for the 2 1/2 hour drive home.
Hi, I'm John. But you can call me NED! Meet our son Jimmy at http://s306.photobucket.com/albums/nn243/jimmymize/

Postby Guest » Tue Jul 03, 2007 9:14 am

I got one after 3 months on Irritocan. I went to colorestal surgeon since I didn't know where the blood was coming from and I was afraid it was something worse. He recommended stool softeners which pretty much reduced and removed the pain and bleeding. When I finished Irritican it went away completely.

rthornton

Postby rthornton » Tue Jul 03, 2007 2:13 pm

I had what seemed like a war with anal fissures back when I was getting 5FU. I'd sometimes euphemize and tell people I was getting a visit from my old friend Fissures McBurnsalot. I think that mine were caused by oceans of 5FU-induced diarrhea ripping through me, and although my 5FU days ended the autumn of 2005 I still have occasional problems with fissures. My doctor prescribed something called Proctofoam, which is a foam inserted ... well, up there. It's a steroid foam, and then also Analpram is a steroid cream especially designed for anal fissure relief. They seemed to help a bit (but never enough). As cynnical said, sitz baths help out a lot. Dealing with anal fissures is not a good way to spend an otherwise nice afternoon.

cynnycal

Postby cynnycal » Tue Jul 03, 2007 2:26 pm

Rodney!! what the hell are you doin up??
You should be resting mister.

rthornton

Postby rthornton » Tue Jul 03, 2007 2:49 pm

They discharged me from the hospital! They thought about keeping me in the hospital for observation because my lung is partially deflated after the biopsy, but in the end they decided to discharge me. I should get results by the end of the week. I was awake enough to watch the procedure, so that was fun!

cynnycal

Postby cynnycal » Tue Jul 03, 2007 3:00 pm

yea, that must've been cool to watch.
i love watching stuff they do to me. i'm still kickin myself that i didn't ask for a video of them taking my colon from me.

you feelin okay? (sorry, at work, no AIM here. and after work i'll be on the road driving downstate illinois. maybe i'll call ya)

K9 fann

anal fissure

Postby K9 fann » Tue Jul 03, 2007 7:03 pm

I have an anal fissure. I started bleeding and having pain (throbbing) after bowel movements back in January. My doctor prescribed Proctofoam and topical nitroglycerin....couldn't take the nitro! I took lots of baths and slept with a hotpad on my fanny.
Anyways, after five months of minimal relief, my doctor did a colonoscopy and found rectal cancer...boy, was he surprised!
K9 fan

Return to “Colon Talk - Colon cancer (colorectal cancer) support forum”