chemo and colds/flus and ? about radiation

Please feel free to read, share your thoughts, your stories and connect with others!
lisa

chemo and colds/flus and ? about radiation

Postby lisa » Fri Jan 06, 2006 8:37 pm

I have been working upto a cold for a week or so and it's finally turned. I have a fever, dizzy, cough (dry), sneezing, etc. Not sure if I can take over the counter remedies. Is that allowed while on chemo or should I being calling the oncologist to get his advice?

Radiation. My doc wants me to start this the first of February and I'm very nervous. Even more nervous after reading someone else's experiences 8 months after the radiation. I would love to hear other's experiences with radiation. To help me make my choice with tons of info.

wendy_21

Colds

Postby wendy_21 » Sat Jan 07, 2006 10:06 am

My oncologist wanted me to call immediately if I ran a fever of 100 degrees or more, had a cough or other cold symptoms. I would say call your oncologist and see what he/she wants you to do.
wendy

skier03

Radiation

Postby skier03 » Sat Jan 07, 2006 3:37 pm

Hi Lisa,

I was diagnosed with stage III rectal cancer in November 2004 at age 22. Initially, the doctors wanted me to undergo radiation and chemotherapy. However, after meeting with the radiation oncologist, who told us of all of the side effects of radiation (which I'd be happy to tell you about if you'd like - some may be a little too much for posting right here), my family and I demanded another option. We spoke to the surgeon again, and then to a new oncologist, who suggested a much stronger chemotherapy regimine (FOLFOX & Erbitux), which he assured us, would be just as effective as radiation. I underwent 3 months of chemo before surgery and then 4 months afterwards (adding Avastin to the mix), finishing my treatments in August. The drugs worked beautifully for me, and I just received a clean report in December. I just wanted to let you know that there are options other than radiation. Please speak with your doctors, seek other opinions, and talk about your options with loved ones who are helping you through this when deciding about radiation. I'm extremely grateful that we didn't do the first thing the first doctor said...

Good luck and let me know if I can help in any other way!

Corinne

lisa

Postby lisa » Sat Jan 07, 2006 11:25 pm

I went to the ER today and after 7 hours there still don't really know why I have the fever, flu maybe. The details of my visit are on my blog, sorry, to lazy/tired to retype it all.

Thanx Corinne for the info. I am ceaselessly amazed at all of us here with this problem that are UNDER 50 yrs old. I'm so glad you're doing well and so sorry you had to go through it so young. Currently, I'm leaning towards no radiation.

Lisa
www.lisaschaos.blog-city.com

tamfigg

Postby tamfigg » Mon Jan 09, 2006 9:38 am

I had radiation, and don't regret having it. I had rectal cancer which doctors here in St. Louis said that having radiation helped my chances. With rectal cancer there is evidence that radiation helps fight off reoccurence, and that is all I needed to hear to sign up for the radiation. There are side effects to having radiation, and some I deal with today, the greatest being menopause but that can be brought on as well by stronger chemo drugs as well. I was made infertile but am glad to say I have a son today, from invitro which we beat the odds there as well b/c doctors said I would not have kids.

The decision to have or not have radiation is a tough one, but from one survivor to another, I would do it again if it meant it would improve my odds of never having it come back. Good luck with your decision.

Tammy Figg
www.figgtree.com

Return to “Colon Talk - Colon cancer (colorectal cancer) support forum”