Moviprep - colonoscopy prep

Please feel free to read, share your thoughts, your stories and connect with others!
kkelly6

Re: Moviprep - colonoscopy prep

Postby kkelly6 » Thu Dec 02, 2010 8:43 pm

I totally agree!! I kept thinking, who could drink all of this. I, too weigh 130, and could only choke down one and a half liters. I dumped the rest after my husband went to bed. My question is, when will it stop working?!! I finished it at 10:50 last night. It is now 7:30pm, a day later, and it is still working!! This was my 3rd colonoscopy, and I don't remember it ever continuing this long.

berk

Postby berk » Tue Dec 07, 2010 2:02 am

Because I'd read so much here on the night of my prep, I thought I'd pay it back (and forward) and give you my experience. Just to break it down -

1 - MoviPrep was the cleansing agent of my doctors choice. Luckily, I didn't find this board until after downing the 1st liter. After seeing my mom have to do the gallon jug NASTY prep & then next time pills and massive liquid that caused her horrific pain (she has IBS), this "seemed" like a breeze. Pre-empt by saying, "personally I can drink more than a camel", so volume isn't an issue - taste, well, who wants to drink something that isn't refreshing? Gag reflex - don't have a strong one to speak of so it wasn't a problem.

Prep Night - MoviPrep
Taste - yes, it is salty and lemon flavored and isn't something I'd ever request at a bar. However, the 1st liter was very drinkable for me. The 1st liter I took without even a chaser (8oz every 15 mins for an hour). Gulp, gulp... 2oz down, 13 minutes left... gulp, gulp, 2 more oz down, 10 mins left... rinse and repeat. I did use a straw, made sure it was very cold and got to where it was a game to get it all down before the 15 mins were up. Was it yummy, no, but was it the worst ever in my life of things, heck no... This was VERY doable. By the 32nd oz, I was welcoming the 16 ounces of "clear beverage" and managed to down 32oz of Lemon Gatorade as my follow up liquid (realize at this point I didn't realize there was such a thing as a chaser or better way to take it, but I survived without any major grumbling/complaining and did mind over matter for it just being not the most tasty thing ever - Honestly, I thought, this isn't too bad for the 1st 32 ozs!). 60 minutes after starting, I felt a little tummy rumble. 75 minutes after starting, I had my 1st successful "cough" anal purge. Yeah, wish my DR told me salad was NOT a good choice for dinner on the 2 previous nights! (thought I'd be helping things along!) After MANY successful trips to the bathroom, by 9pm, things had settled down to once every 20-30 minutes, but the next liter was due to be started. MUST haves - baby wipes and Vaseline or Destin like cream... have external hemmroids and didn't have any problem with the prep (more later).

1st - words of advice, don't read message boards about how horrible it is before starting your 2nd liter (or 1st for that matter)
2nd - ASK your GI/Surgeon what constitutes cleaned out in a bowel movement. I thought I had to be having CLEAR only. By 8pm I was only having pure water works that was medium to light yellow in nature with maybe one tiny lettuce flake in it every other time. Had I known what to be looking for in the prep, I could have saved myself maybe 16-24oz of the 2nd prep!

Now on to the 2nd liter. By this time, I'd read all the boards, thought I should be puking everything up based on what I'd read, was a little apprehensive and thought, I CAN DO THIS, despite my butt telling me, you really don't need to do it again (btw, baby wipes and destin or vaseline is your FRIEND)! This is where asking your doctor what to see for a good prep is a GREAT question. Had I known what I was looking for, yes, I would have done another 8oz, maybe another 16oz, but NEVER would have finished the 32oz because I was as watery as a whistle with just a yellow color. Needless to say the 2nd liter was a little more mind over matter, holding my breath, adding ice and doing chasers with ginger ale. But I managed to do the whole 2nd liter, even though I probably didn't need but another 8oz of the stuff! I did it because I COULD and wanted to answer, YES, I finished all my bowel prep like a good little girl, now I dare you to tell me it wasn't good enough! The second round was not as eventful as the 1st, but I was in the bathroom until 1am and my anxiety kept me up all night!

NOTE - Worst part for me was no water by mouth after 12pm. I did cheat a little and had a glass of water between 12-2am, since I figured my procedure was at 10:30am and I had the same instructions as someone who would have been at 8:30am... figured I could push it 2 hours. Then, since sleep wasn't an option for me since I was stressed, at 5, 5:30 and 6 I had a TINY sip of water, then by 7am, I HAD to have Ice Chips to melt in my mouth for the next hour because I was dying of thirst. To me, it's not fair to have someone still going between 12-1am and tell them they can't have fluids after midnight. Without this tiny indiscresion, I doubt they could have hit a vein on me the next morning because I would have been too dehydrated!

Overall assessment - Moviprep doesn't taste that great, very salty, but palatable! It was only with the last 16oz that I had to really, REALLY do mind over matter and just FORCE it down. Would definately use it again as a prep, but would make sure when DR. felt I was cleaned out enough and stop there so as not to dehydrate myself unnecessarily.

PROCEDURE DAY!

So, went to register, and while the lady was sweet as can be and sympathetic, she proceded to state she'd had a colonoscopy a few months ago and it was horrible. I'm like CRAP (figuratively, since literally I've got none left)! Then I said I did Movi-Prep and she said she'd done it as well and would never do it again (I know people have different experiences, but, it REALLY, REALLY, REALLY wasn't that bad!) She then did procede to make me feel better by saying I won't know a thing during the procedure (the most focal thing on my mind at that time since I had no clue how they did sedation).

So, they call me back, lots of question, and the lady comes in to do the IV. See, I have a significant fear of needles. Stems from getting stuck 14 times as a 10 year old child while trying to have an oral surgery, and then having a direct palatel shot to numb me because they couldn't ever hit a vein. NEVER should have happened, but it did and now, if you pull a needle out, my reflex is to tense my butt up and say NOOOOOOOOO. So fear/phoebia probably doesn't really describe it. Oh, and I have small wormy veins. So, she was sweet, stuck me, told me to breath, then said I'm right beside the vein (damn rolly veins) and then backed out and hit it (was worried I'd be too dehydrated to hit it... thank god for the ice chips this morning!). Afterwards, she knew how stressed I was and suggested they hit me with Versad ASAP! Had a hit and was happy as a camper... wheeled to the room, asked a few questions, still nervous, they hit me with a 2nd dose of Versad just cause I was that nervous, asked the surgeon for one request, to "be gentle", got a laugh, he said he was ready and the next thing I remember is my family walking into recovery and I'd been talking to the surgeon before they got there. Yes, I can so understand how Michael Jackson got addicted to this drug called Propefal (sp?)!

Passed some silent gas (had some minor cramps for about 15 seconds before passing gas), woke up a little more, got dressed and was on my way home. Had a baked potato, slept from 1-4:30, woke, had some dinner and am now here typing this review! I do have some external hemmriods and they were a little sore today just from the procedure. Took 2 advil and a hot epsom salt bath at 7pm and feeling much better.

RESULTS -
Had to have Colonoscopy done at age 38 due to 6-7 inches of thickening on my right colon on oral contrast CT Scan for a hernia (could be something, could be contraction?). Worried myself sick over what it could be. While I've had some abdominal symptoms, could easily be explained with other explinations as well as what I'd conjured in my mind from my research of this thickening. NO THICKENING observed during colonoscopy. 1 polyp found and removed, waiting on results. Even if pre-cancerous, follow up scan in 3-5 years... if not, have another one at age 50. While not a perfect asshole, a damn good one!

SUMMARY -

Would I do it again next week? If I had to, without a doubt and with less fears!

PREP - MoviPrep for me was VERY tolerable and I'd request it again if I needed to have bowl prep. I didn't have to camp out in bathroom, but claimed the 1/2 bath as mine and went there OFTEN, complete with my baby wipes & cream. Taste wasn't great (very salty), but tolerable - cold prep/ice and chasers (sprite, ginger ale, gatorade) helped. Ask your doctor what is CLEANED and if you can stop early if you show 3-5 movements like those. I had yellow water after the 1st liter. I would have done another 8oz-16oz just to be sure, but it would have saved my the last 16oz of the stuff. After 20 movements of clear yellow fluid, I'd think I could have stoped a few ounces ago? Oh, and I've read other places and will say, I was FREEZING! Apparently this is a side effect? Got in tub to warm up for a few between drinking liters. For me thirst was HORRIBLE (especially since I was up all night anxious and was probably dehydrated). Don't tell me to stop fluids at midnight if I'm still losing them like crazy in the bathroom up until 1am. Ask your doctor about water, how late you can just drink it before procedure, and if you can have tiny sips and ice chips if it becomes unbearable (for me it was and I just did it after researching internet, and it was fine, but I made sure to tell the anesthesiologist exactly what I'd consumed).

PROCEDURE - Find out what you are getting BEFORE HAND! I wasn't sure if I'd have versed and darvacet (kinda awake and I was worried about this!) or Michael Jackson Juice as I've named it (propefol (sp?))... worried about this for 4 days but didn't want to bother the doctor with yet another question. Neddle phobia (due to 14 attempts at IV), but they were GREAT with the IV! I think my ice chips helped because I was so thirsty, dehydrated and have small veins. LUCKILY, my procedure was at the outpatient hospital, I didn't have to ask about Versed because they immediately said, you NEED a shot of VERSED. If you are that anxious, as soon as they get the needle in, tell them you are kinda freaking out and do they have anything to take the edge off? It definately took the edge of the 5 minutes before the procedure. Saw the doctor, told him I was nervous (nurses rushed in with another dose of versed) and managed to say, I just have one request, "be gentle!". They all laughed, he said I'm ready and next thing I knew I was in recovery behind the curtain not knowing what I was talking to Dr. about, but managing to introduce him to my mom and husband.

POST - PROCEDURE - Awake, talking in a haze, but still on my side, asked to stay that way and pass gas. I was FREEZING! Had to get 2 warm blankets and hubbies fleece pull over over my legs. Little did they all know I'd had a few long and silent ones up to that point (had about 5 seconds of cramping before I passed some gas, but quickly went away). They took off the monitor things (ekg, O2 monitor, oxygen, IV), made sure I'd passed gas, then let me get dressed and made me be wheeled out to hubbies car.

POST-POST-PROCEDURE - Got home, had a baked potato with butter and sour cream, fell asleep and slept for 4.5 hours (remember I didn't sleep last night). Woke up, felt a little clearer headed, got homework done with son and took it easy. I have external hemmroids and they were a little "abused" if that is the right word. Took an epsom salt bath and 2 advil and it helped. This discomfort was probably the worst of it all for me and not more than a regular flare (now mentally, I was a basket case, but hope never to be again!). Had Pasta for dinner and am ready for a good meal tomorrow after Weight Watchers weigh in... LOL, does a colostomy help or hurt with weight lose? All the Sodium/salt vs. being clean vs. needing a good meal? :-)

weisssoccermom

Postby weisssoccermom » Tue Dec 07, 2010 10:34 am

Berk,
Glad to hear that your prep/scope went well. However, I would caution you about one thing. Generally, regardless of age, if your polyp is precancerous - you should have a follow up colonoscopy in 1 -2 years. Even if this polyp turns out to be totally benign, you should NOT, and I repeat NOT wait until you are 50 for your next scope! I have absolutely no idea why a GI would tell you that. Regardless of what the pathology shows, your body has proven that it is quite capable of making polyps and it's a crap shoot whether or not another polyp pops up somewhere in your large intestine/rectal area. You indicated that you're 38 - if you wait another 12 years you have a fairly good chance of having another polyp pop up and in that timeframe of 12 years, honestly, you could go a LONG time without any symptoms that would send you to the doc and potentially during that time have some cancer growing. It's a good thing that something showed up on a scan that enabled you to get in but you need to understand that for most of us, unless something is fairly advanced, a scan of your GI tract alone won't pick up polyps or most tumors - unless they are significant in size. PLEASE, you are now at a higher risk for more polyps and you need to be followed up from this moment forward and at this time, benign or not, you should have your next colonoscopy no more than 3 years from now. In addition, even if this little bugger is benign, your kids and siblings need to be aware of these findings. While it may not be colorectal cancer, a history of colorectal polyps (benign or precancerous) is just as important and needs to be brought up with your doctors. If this doesn't set off red flags for them to watch you and scope you regularly from now on, then I would highly suggest you find another doctor. You do NOT want to be a permanent member of this club in a few years because you weren't checked. Maybe I misunderstood your follow up schedule - and I sincerely hope that I did. But please, do not wait more than 3 years for your next scope. If you get two clear scopes in a row, you should be able to go to the 5 year scoping schedule but never more than that once you've proven that you have a predispostion to polyps.

Jaynee
Dx 6/22/2006 IIA rectal cancer
6 wks rad/Xeloda -finished 9/06
1st attempt transanal excision 11/06
11/17/06 XELOX 1 cycle
5 months Xeloda only Dec '06 - April '07
10+ blood clots, 1 DVT 1/07
transanal excision 4/20/07 path-NO CANCER CELLS!
NED now and forever!
Perform random acts of kindness

quinn732

Postby quinn732 » Thu Dec 16, 2010 10:08 am

I am just getting out of the hospital after a nightmare experience with MoviPrep. I was going to have surgery for diverticulitis. Unfortunately, I drank the first liter of MoviPrep, began vomitting violently, and burst my esophagus. I had emergency surgery after nearly dying. I am going home from the hospital today after 2 weeks here for the esophagus repair. Never had the diverticulitis surgery. This stZuff almost killed me! I don't know what my next move is.

plantlady

Postby plantlady » Tue Jan 04, 2011 8:25 pm

Just had a colonoscopy today and all went well. Used the Moviprep. I researched ideas online and it really helped me- a lot! Below were the most helpful for me:
1. Drink really cold.
2. Drink through a really big straw and put straw as far back as you can. That way the solution does not touch as many taste buds.
3. I added Crystal Light (lemonade flavor) to the mixture.
4. Drink each 8 oz. as fast as you can.
5. Use baby wipes to wipe.

I will say it was a little harder to drink the second dose at 4:00 am. I really only drank about 16 oz in the am because my stool was pretty clear by then.

The cost was ridiculous though.

sierrasong

Postby sierrasong » Thu Jan 06, 2011 11:38 pm

I had a colonoscopy and endoscopy done in September, 2010 to try to diagnose upper right quadrant pain and because I'm "that age". My bowel prep was MoviPrep, which is a tad expensive, but was completely bearable. I was terrified (reading all the horror stories on the net doesn't help!!) but can tell you now that those stories are totally overblown. It's not FUN, but, as another poster said, we're adults and it is completely doable!

I did quite a bit of research online before the big event and gleaned a number of helpful tips. Using those tips, I assembled a "colonoscopy comfort basket" ahead of time and this allowed me to kind of psych myself up for the prep and procedure. Here's what I learned...in random order!

1. Definitely drink it chilled with a straw as far back in your throat as you possibly can.
2. Keep a peppermint (I used Life Savers Pep-o-Mints) in your mouth/cheek and, after each gulp of MoviPrep, suck on the mint to chase away the flavor
3. I mixed a small amount of lemon Crystal Lite into the potion.
4. For two or three days prior to your prep, eat a low residue diet - this helps assure that there isn't as much to be evacuated, making the clean out procedure quicker AND you get to eat those forbidden processed foods that have no fiber!
5. Stock up on lotion-infused toilet paper, A&D ointment or similar, sensitive skin wipes, even a scented candle and a book or crossword puzzles; anything to give yourself "comfort" during the prep.
6. I tend to be very anxious about medical procedures...I've had many, starting with open heart surgery when I was four. So, my doctor was totally ok with me taking a regular small dosage of alprazolam (Xanax) to get through the prep and, in the morning, 6 hours before before my procedures (which were at 11 AM). Discuss this with your GI doc if you are apprehensive.
7. I was allowed to have a small, low-residue breakfast the day before: egg whites, plain yogurt, toast (no butter). Again, every prep is different, but it doesn't hurt to ask!
8. I had a split dose of MoviPrep - one liter the night before and one the morning of the procedure. Made it more bearable.
9. Keep a blanket near at hand to warm up - I got chilly. Drinking warm beef and chicken broth helped too.
10. Feel free to whine and have someone with you who can tolerate that and be supportive! '
11. I treated it like a challenge and blogged the whole thing on my FB page as entertainingly as possible...took my mind off the whole thing, made people laugh and even encouraged a couple of hesitant friends to go ahead and schedule their own colonoscopies!
12. As mentioned by others, when you are squirting yellow water (with the occasional floatie) you are most likely done. I didn't quite finish the last 8 ounces in the morning, but my clean out was rated "excellent"!

Since I was having two procedures done AND because of my apprehension, I was given Propofol. I was initially very worried about it (gee, what a surprise - me worried!) but it was a breeze. You conk out and wake up as if a switch has been flipped - boom - you're out and boom -awake and not fuzzy. The last thing I remember: Anesthesiologist: "Hmmm...I don't like your blood pressure..." Me:(too loudly) "You mean, after all of this prep, you might not be able to..." (out like a light). I'm sure the anesthesiologist was thinking, "Time to put this one to sleep NOW!" I was also given Versed, but not much, so I was very functional right away.

No colon polyps, some in the stomach, other issues which were benign. Bottom line (get it? bottom line??) BE NOT AFRAID! The whole process, for me at least, was FAR from the horrible ordeal I expected. I'm so glad I've had it done and have one less thing to worry about!

MichaelO

Postby MichaelO » Thu Jan 27, 2011 6:37 pm

I do not recommend MoviPrep. I have had 12 colonoscopies because of Ulcerative Colitis and just had another this morning. This is the first time that my prep has been deemed inadequate. The physician could not view past the hepatic flexure because of the presence of stool material. As such, a third of the colon was not examined. I had forewarned the physician before the procedure that I felt that the color of the discharge after my second session at 3AM this morning was not as clear as I had experienced in
the past. I was correct. While using the MoviPrep was easier to use than other products I have had in the past, the results indicated to me that it was not worth it, because, as I indicated earlier, 1/3 of my colon could not be examined and as a surviving cancer patient it leaves me very concerned. Again, I cannot and do not recommend MoviPrep.

gypsy

Postby gypsy » Fri Jan 28, 2011 11:12 pm

Just thought I'd add my experience...I'm 32 and just had a colonoscopy today because there's a family history of colon cancer. The procedure was fine. I was sleeping ...so no problems. The Moviprep was absolutely terrible...even though I chilled it! I wish I could say it was almost tolerable, but I just can't. With each sip I forced down it got worse. It kinda has a slimy texture to it...lemon-lime taste. I figured that it tasted like what very sweet, lemonlime Gatorade would taste like, but with slimy mold mixed in it. I thought it was extremely sweet tasting, and I don't like things very sweet. I would take a sip of the prep, then take a small sip of pickle juice. I like the salty taste of pickle juice and that was the only thing I could find to offset the sweet taste of the prep. I tried water, tea, and applejuice...didn't work for me. If it had not been for the pickle juice I wouldn't have gotten it down. I only took 3/4 of it. The last 4 oz. came back up. After that it was useless to keep trying. When I told the dr. this morning, he wasn't concerned at all. He waved his hand and said, "That's fine." Didn't seem to be a bit concerned that I didn't take it all. So if you can't get it all down, and you are running clear, you are probably fine. Just stop the torture. I do hope others are able to endure this (or any) prep a lot better.

nicola smith

Postby nicola smith » Sat Jan 29, 2011 7:07 pm

in addition to drinking the stuff chilled and through a straw, put an icecube in your mouth to freeze all those tastebuds. Spit it out and swig. Repeat. This works.
UC history
11/09: Dx, CEA 2.9
02/10: colectomy, temp ileo; pT3N1Mx
10/10: 12 Folfox6
03/11: jpouch
2010/11/12/13/14: 6 PET and/or CT's - NED
quarterly 03/2010- 03/2015: CEA range 0.8-1.3
03/2015: discharged to GP :D

74bravo

Postby 74bravo » Sat Jan 29, 2011 10:25 pm

Now after reading this thread and then (stupidly) searching and reading others I am getting nervous for this week.

Any pre-prep suggestions? I was thinking of starting to go towards more liquid diets starting tomorrow (Ramen noodles, then chicken noodle soup, then broth by tuesday and keeping with broth till after my scoping on Friday).

Brittyboo

Postby Brittyboo » Sun Jan 30, 2011 9:55 pm

Just got done the first liter only went to the bathroom five times. It's like peeing out your butt. Lol the moviprep was the nastiest thing ever. I tried it cold yeah it helped a little bit, I tried the straw yeah still gross I even tried mixing crystal light lemonade yeah umm still really gross...I gagged on the last bit I just couldn't get t down my boyfriend couching me trying to help, but I couldn't do it. I poured what little was left in the cup down the sink. I really think with two liters and nothing but clear liquid diet all day you can afford to lose a little bit of the nasty stuff, besides if you throw up you lose more right? Apt is at 1 15...my advice get pills if you can and make your apt in the early morning...good luck to all

Frances

Postby Frances » Mon Jan 31, 2011 10:16 pm

Finished my first litre, now on the second. I'm nauseous and I can't get any more down. Will drink some water and try again later. I preferred the pills.

ColoCass

Postby ColoCass » Sun Feb 13, 2011 10:56 pm

I much prefer the Moviprep over Osmoprep (pills). I bloated and dehydrated with the pills big time. With the Moviprep if you're going to experience fullness, you feel it right away after sipping a bit. So you have a chance to slow down if need be. Once you've swallowed five pills (dosage of Osmoprep) at a time there's no turning back. And if you don't take the recommended 8 oz. of liquid because you feel too bloated why then it's dehydration city for you.......major migraine. Anyway this helped me get through the Moviprep: I kept it cold, used a straw toward the back of my mouth, then between sips ran a lemon at the back of my tongue to cut the saltiness and mask the taste of the moviprep. In fact doing this made it taste much like lemon Powerade. I also sucked on a Ricola between sip sessions. I am a big whimp so it took me twice as long to get it all down.....I was determined to not have the bloated feeling. Nevertheless it did its job and started working in 40 minutes. Next round was even easier than the first. Remember, as long as it is running clear or yellow ..you're good.

weezie

Postby weezie » Tue Mar 01, 2011 6:29 pm

I added kool ade with lots of sugar to make it taste better.. Also, you could try those flavor syrups for snow cones that you can buy at Wal Mart

ghee

Postby ghee » Mon Apr 04, 2011 7:31 pm

The prep with MoviPrep was not the nightmare I expected. Gulped it room temp. Purge began working 20 mins after my first 8oz.....and continued to work from 6PM to 9AM the next morning! The sore butt was no fun. Only completed the the 1st round. Didn't see a need for the 2nd when I was still going clear. Although there was a 4 1/2 hour delay from my scheduled time to when my procedure was actually done the colonoscopy was no big deal. But it's 26 hours after taking the prep AND I'M STILL GOING! as soon as I added fluids back after the procedure the diarrhea started again.

Anybody else have this problem? Does anyone have any suggestions on what to do? I'm going go take some probiotic and eat some binding nonfiber foods and see if I can plug the leak. LOL

Return to “Colon Talk - Colon cancer (colorectal cancer) support forum”