Moviprep - colonoscopy prep

Please feel free to read, share your thoughts, your stories and connect with others!
FIA-cal

Re: Moviprep - colonoscopy prep

Postby FIA-cal » Tue Feb 03, 2009 3:24 pm

I have just started my second litre of movipep and I am as sick as a pig. I am just about holding this stuff down. I started at 2pm today Its now 8pm and I have only gone to the toilet twice. I am drinking it cold through a straw but I am still gagging with every month full.

dadkidtwo

Postby dadkidtwo » Wed Feb 04, 2009 3:41 am

I had my colonoscopy on the 2nd of Feb. I had to drink MoviPrep and it was a breeze for me. Prayer had alot to do with it. I prayed to Jesus and God to help me to get through this ordeal. The drinking of Moviprep was easy. Get it real cold, use a straw to drink it and then drink the water as noted after, then chew some mint gum.that`s what I did. No vomiting, cramps, small amount of bloating which is normal, I did get really cold and chilled......But it was really nothing of a real bother. I just grabbed a blanket. My test was a very different thing....it was so painful and they gave me as much sedation as they could, without being totally under. The Doctor did say after the test that next time I will need to be put under totally or he can`t do the test. I`m all for being put out completely. They found Two Polyps, which were removed during the test. I`m waiting for the results to come in, if it is cancer or not. Wish anyone going thru this ordeal, lots of prayers help. Try one and see. Regards, Kathryn. :)

dadkidtwo

Postby dadkidtwo » Wed Feb 04, 2009 4:16 am

FIA-cal wrote:I have just started my second litre of movipep and I am as sick as a pig. I am just about holding this stuff down. I started at 2pm today Its now 8pm and I have only gone to the toilet twice. I am drinking it cold through a straw but I am still gagging with every month full.

I am sorry you are so sick, I hope everything gets better for you. Please let me know how you are doing. Dadkidtwo.

sun-sparkled waves

Postby sun-sparkled waves » Fri Feb 13, 2009 5:16 pm

Hey CR Guy, do you know if Pico Salax has the same warning as Fleet Phospho Soda as being potentially harmful to the kidneys?
Stage 2b in ascending colon age 34
Right Hemicolectomy 1994
5 FU and Levamisole for 6 months
Lynch Syndrome mutation MLH1
Bilateral Salpingectomy 2010

Pinetopgal

Postby Pinetopgal » Tue Feb 17, 2009 7:52 pm

I had to cancel my colonoscopy scheduled for tomorrow. After taking only 1/2 of the first liter of the Moviprep, I experienced uncontrollable shaking, my blood pressure went sky high, and I started vomiting. The dr. offered to reschedule using the gallon of golitely, or to do a barium enema. I declined on all counts. I'm 73 years old and figure I can do without all this. The Moviprep is probably the worst stuff I've ever had to drink (and I've had a lot). Good luck to all of you.

livinginuk

Postby livinginuk » Tue Mar 31, 2009 7:29 am

Hello everyone from here in the UK
Found this forum when I googled Moviprep and have just read all 8 pages of comments.
First off, I found the comments and advice really interesting and mostly helpful but what really surprised me is this:
Yes, we can say what our experiences of the prep was like but it can't possibly be the same for each and every one of us. What suits me wont necessarily suit anyone else.

Second - the effects on our system will be unique to each of us. Our bodies all work in different ways, some of us will pass motions within a short time, some will take longer, some (God Forbid) wont pass anything and will have to try something else.

Some of us have polyps, some have blockages, some are constipated, some have IBS, Colitis etc etc....you get my drift?

Sharing our experiences is great - and the advice about how to get the vile stuff down our throats is invaluable but the effects wont be the same for everyone. So if you read that Moviprep is great and easy to take and works well then hurrah for that person - it worked for them. Finding out what works best for you is a case of trial and error, so good luck to everyone.

I'm now 59 years of age and due my 3rd colonoscopy in the next few weeks - had my first one in 1998. So far the previous tests have come back all clear (Thank God) I did have one very small adenomous polyp in 1998 but thankfully it was benign. My father had colon cancer and died age 58 and my Mum had cancer and died at age 90. She was fit and well and active up to 3 months before her death and was never diagnosed with it all her life....you have to die of something and at that age I think she did very well. The reasons for my colonoscopies - well family history obviously and also a few bowel problems (probably IBS the Doctor thinks). However, my brother also had polyps but neither of my sisters had them. It's peace of mind at the end of the day.

I have recently been seen by a Gastroenterologist and he has prescribed me Moviprep. However, my previous colonoscopy was undertaken by a colorectal surgeon in London and he prescribed Picolax and Dulcolax (which is what I shall use this time as it was fairly easy to take).He also had an anaesthetist on hand to administer propofol sedation which knocked me straight out but you come round within the hour and recover very quickly. The gastro Doctor wants to use Pethadin and Diazepam which I'm not so happy about so have asked him about using Propofol instead. You see they all have different ideas and ways of doing things and as our bodies are all unique it's just not possible for one process to suit everyone - so don't be afraid to question them and get what suits you. I am having this under Private healthcare not the NHS here in UK and I feel I have the right to ask and ask again till I have as much info as I can get.

Lastly (forgive the long posting), do we know if any of these recommendations are governed by the pharmaceutical companies 'special offers'. I worked for a private dental surgeon for 10 years and he was frequently offered new materials to try out on patients at very low cost - thankfully he was a man of scruples and wouldn't buy anything he wasn't 100% happy with, no matter what the cost. How many of the Hospital trusts over here would be the same as that I wonder?

Good luck to all of you who have serious problems, I feel embarassed to think how much I whinged about taking the awful bowel prep stuff when some of you are going through so much worse. Keep positive and I will definitely be saying a few extra prayers for everyone fighting serious illness and hope the Man upstairs hasn't stopped listening to me :)

laxmom3

Postby laxmom3 » Wed Apr 01, 2009 6:20 pm

I am scheduled to have my 1 year colonoscopy next Wednesday, and I am doing the moviprep, as well. I think I like Sean's suggestion of the gin and tonic, though another clear liquid that might work is a margarhita!

lisa
Dx April, 2008 Stage III RC, 2 of 35 nodes pos.
LAR, Apr. 29, 2008
6 rounds Folfox, 5 weeks radiation w/ Xeloda
Finish last 6 rounds of Xolox Jan.12, 2009
Dx. DVT Jan. 18,'09
Mar. 2012 perm colostomy

smorgasson

Postby smorgasson » Thu Apr 09, 2009 11:57 pm

I am 20 years old and I just finished my prep with Moviprep...I could only get through 1 and 3/4 of it, I nearly threw up on the last swig...drank it lukewarm out of the bottle...I wish I saw this forum earlier. Been sucking on Jolly Ranchers all day and I have my procedure at 11:00 tomorrow morning and I hope it all goes well.

pain-in-the-hinney

Postby pain-in-the-hinney » Sun Apr 12, 2009 8:08 pm

I'm using the Moviprep for the first time tonight, no chocolate Easter bunnies for me today. Bummer!
I'm doing the ice-cold thru a straw trick, too. It's helping. I'm drinking it over the sink cause once in a while the salty taste just hits me and I have to spit it out and try again.

Last time I did a bowel prep was for a hysterectomy, and I was prescribed Fleet. One piece of advice to everyone, it helps to mix it with something else to aid in masking the taste. BUT...don't mix it with something you love. I chose to mix mine with apple juice, and while it helped me get through the stuff, I haven't been able to drink apple juice since. I also tried 7-up, first, but the carbonation of both made me nauseous and in serious gas pain. That's when I switched to apple juice.

Good luck to everyone!

pain-in-the-hinney

Postby pain-in-the-hinney » Sun Apr 12, 2009 8:41 pm

Almost forgot, it helps to put the straw further back in your mouth, so you don't taste as much. :wink:

CRguy

Postby CRguy » Tue Apr 14, 2009 5:41 pm

sun-sparkled waves wrote:Hey CR Guy, do you know if Pico Salax has the same warning as Fleet Phospho Soda as being potentially harmful to the kidneys?

Shows I wasn't paying attention...sorry to find this thread again Soooooooo long after the question :oops:

Yes Pico Salax has a restriction if you have severe kidney dysfunction, which would easily be picked up on routine blood tests for any of us. (they would check "eGFR" estimated glomerular filtration rate as a measure of how well the kidneys are doing) As mentioned many many times here, Keep Hydrated when taking anything the kidneys need to flush out (esp the various imaging contrasts.)

Cheers
CRguy
Caregiver x 4
Stage IV A rectal cancer/lung met
17 Year survivor
my life is an ongoing totally randomized UNcontrolled experiment with N=1 !
Review of my Journey so far

peep

Postby peep » Wed Apr 29, 2009 4:35 am

I'm to have my very first colonoscopy (routine screening) mid-day tomorrow. Just wanted to share my experience with the MoviPrep solution.

My doctor instructed me to take the MoviPrep in a split dose. So I mixed up the first half earlier at 7PM in the container provided and drank 8 ounces, 15 minutes apart, as instructed. Not too bad, it tasted much like salty faux lemonade. After finishing this medicinal brew, I downed 24 ounces of cool water. I would have drank 36 ounces but my stomach simply wouldn't hold any more liquid.

So I spend a quiet evening watching the tube and napping. Midnight comes and goes, and still no bowel movements. Nothing. I can feel my insides doing a bit of rumbling, yet that's pretty much it. Total non event.

Shortly before 2AM I have my first urge to process some of the liquid ingested a full 5-6 hours ago. That seems like a really long time to not have an urge to pee, so I'm thinking that the MoviPrep solution dehydrated me. Still no bowel movements though. :(

I will mix up the remaining MoviPrep and drink it in a few hours, then follow it with another massive dose of water.

Just wondering... what happens if the bowel movements never come prior to my procedure? Is that possible?

As background, I'm in excellent health and do not suffer from constipation. I exercise regularly and eat a diet high in veggies and fiber, low in bad fats and sugar, with almost no processed junk food. The frequency of bowel movements for me occurs every 2-3 days, not daily. I've been on this schedule for my entire life, so I guess that's 'normal', at least for me.

Any thoughts?

corbrijon

Postby corbrijon » Wed Apr 29, 2009 8:28 am

MOVIPREP IS TERRIFIC! ... It's my 3rd "prep" and my first with Moviprep. I mixed Moviprep with water ahead of time and chilled it. I used a straw to drink it. It has a sweet, salty, and citrus taste which isn't at all bad. Best of all, there's no cramping.

I did notice a "side effect"... a runny nose. Strange, huh? Oh well, Moviprep cleaned out my colon and my sinus passages.

Okay... time for my last glass.

peep

Postby peep » Wed Apr 29, 2009 10:53 am

Okay, I take back what I said last night about the MoviPrep not working. It took the entire evening and most of the night for the purge to begin, yet begin it did!

Not a lot of opportunity for me to check email this morning, as I pretty much need to sit still in one place. Oh yeah, and my butt is sore too.

At first, I had planned to have the procedure done without sedation. Partly because I'm a curious science geek and want to watch the festivities on the monitor. Partly because I'm a control freak and want to prevent them from saying anything rude about me if I'm out cold. ;)

peep

Postby peep » Thu Apr 30, 2009 5:09 am

Well, the big event is now over. I can now say with pride that I've endured my very first colonoscopy. Where's Dave Barry with my certificate? ;)

It was a fairly unremarkable event. Other than for the 8mm polyp removed from my lower colon, that is. Won't know anything until the biopsy results come back next week.

I did the procedure without sedation, despite the minor discomfort from the air bloating and the scope. It wasn't too bad, just mildly annoying.

I know that I could have had a more pleasant experience with sedation, but then I would have missed all the action on the HD monitor. Besides, heavy sedation just creeps me out, as it reminds me of being abducted by aliens (only these aliens really DO have an anal probe!)

The doc wasn't too happy about my prep. Despite drinking 2 liters of MoviPrep and 4 liters of water, my colon wasn't as clean as she would have liked. From my own perspective in the bathroom, the last purges were fairly clear so I don't know what more I could have done.

Upon departing, the doc gave me copies of the HD photos taken of my colon and polyp. Everything looked really clean to me, so I'm confused about her dissatisfaction with my prep.

Return to “Colon Talk - Colon cancer (colorectal cancer) support forum”