Moviprep - colonoscopy prep

Please feel free to read, share your thoughts, your stories and connect with others!
Jasontr2

Re: Moviprep - colonoscopy prep

Postby Jasontr2 » Sat Apr 03, 2010 1:50 am

Just got home from a colonoscopy day...Had to use Movi-Prep. The night before, it was hard to choke down, but I managed and it began to work quickly. The next day I ran some errands, and after that, began the second dose. After I got through the last of it, it wasn't sitting well. I began to get a splitting headache and I began throwing up. And it didn't stop. I went to the procedure throwing up, and when they put me on IV and gave me Zofran (anti-nausea), and the "good stuff", the procedure went fine. Shortly after I woke up, I began vomiting again, real hard, and didn't stop all afternoon. So I went back to the hospital to the ER, and they put me on another IV, and more Zofran, and a lovely strong narcotic to kill the headache. That helped, alot. Now that's over, and I'm home feeling a little queasy, but I think its over. it's 3:00 AM Eastern Time in the US...and today's my birthday...just turned 35 (not old at all), so I had an interesting B-day. Anyone out there have this harsh of a reaction to MoviPrep?

anonymous from LA

Postby anonymous from LA » Wed Apr 14, 2010 5:29 pm

I want to know why Moviprep costs $60.00! That's such B. S.!

MARE

Postby MARE » Thu Apr 15, 2010 11:08 am

If you have any friends in Canada ask them to send you some Pico Salex. There are 2 pouches in each box and the cost is around $14.

There is a procedure to go through starting a week before the prep...Quit any blood thinners under your Drs. instructions.Discontinue eating anything with seeds or nuts that may get stuck in the colon...grainy breads etc. Three days before the prep take 1 or 2 Ducolax at night...same two days before. Eat bland foods.
Day of prep clear soups, juice, etc. That night put 1 envelope of Pico Salex in some Gator Ade seems to help...the Prep itself tastes okay. Follow with 4 glasses of water over the next hour. My app't is early in the morning so at 4am I take the 2nd envelope with same directions. This is so much better than the old Oral Phosphates that we used to take that made us gag and retch and feel nauseaus most of the day. I have been enduring colonoscopies since 1998 and believe me, Pico Salex is the best prep I have used.

I have mentioned this on and off for some time, but in case there are newbies on here this info might prove a Godsend.

Mare

Debs

Postby Debs » Thu May 20, 2010 1:06 pm

[size=150]My Aunt was suppose to have a colonoscopy on the 29th of April. She was given Moviprep to take. In the past she had taken the golytely with no problems. She started her Moviprep as prescribed and by that evening was vomiting. The next morning she had to cancel her procedure (her roomate canceled it for her). Her roomate had to run out to do errands that morning and when she returned my aunt was having seizures in her bed and vomiting and in a coma. The EMT's were called just in time. Her sodium dropped to 117, she was in ICU for 2 days. Even when they moved her to a regular room she has no memory of that day as well as the other days prior. Last thing she remembers is starting the prep. She had problem with her speech after this and also needed physical therapy to come in. She is 70 years old and in excellent health before all this. I thought she was going to die from this prep. Just wanted everyone to be aware of this.[/size]

AshleyT.

Postby AshleyT. » Sun May 23, 2010 8:17 pm

The Moviprep is the worse thing ever to get down for me...i have a colonoscopy tomorrow and honestly iI could only get down 1 of the 2 liters...my doctor gave me laxative pills and iI already have diarrhia because of whatever sickness iI have hopefully that works guess ill see what the doctor says tomorrow...

victory1

Postby victory1 » Thu May 27, 2010 9:22 pm

My Colonoscopy is tomorrow at 9 am. I started Moviprep at 6pm tonight and have barely chased down 16oz. I have chilled it, chased it with water, mixed it with every flavored clear liquid possible, and used breath mints to kill the taste. My gag reflexes are working overtime tonight. I've already thrown up and can't drink more than a mouthfull in 5 minutes or I'm sick. I have had very little bathroom time with this Moviprep. For $70.00, you would think they could get something that doesn't taste like Pledge!!!

jxmmy

Postby jxmmy » Tue Jun 15, 2010 9:41 pm

do you have to drink clear fluids before the movie prep? what if you forget at lunch?

mica419

Postby mica419 » Wed Jun 16, 2010 9:08 pm

OMG...In the process right now trying to get the MoviPrep down. I am trying with a straw and putting the straw as far back in my mouth as I can and chasing with apple juice. I need to go have my 2nd glass right now but would much rather write here. (6:54) going to take more. (7:07) back. OMG....that is horrible. There has got to be something better. Has anyone heard of OsmoPrep? Is it safe?

Kristen092378

Postby Kristen092378 » Thu Jun 17, 2010 10:09 pm

Someone on another sight posted this and I think it may be a better idea than any other I've read on here.

"My daughter just had her second scope today.

Prep is easy. 2 Dulcolax at 12Noon. Then starting at 3 p.m. empty an entire 238mg bottle of Miralax into an entire 64ox bottle of gatorade (no red or purple obviously) Drink the gatorade mixture over the next three hours, with the goal being to drink 8 oz every 15 minutes. If not cleaned out, take more Dulcolax. That's it. Very simple.

My daughter can't tolerate even the Gatorade, so we used apple juice instead. She also can't drink that much liquid in such a short period of time, so we started her earlier in the day (about 12 noon with the juice), and the cleanout last longer (till about 6 p.m. when she was empty). She did fine and was cleaned out after only about 4-5 trips to the bathroom. She's tiny so it was fast, but the same prep method was used by my husband when he had his scope last summer. Hope this helps.

jllr

Postby jllr » Mon Jun 28, 2010 6:19 am

Just finished moviprep (2nd liter) this morning. Gag!!!! Result within 1 hour of starting my prep so it took me 1.5 to 2 hrs to finish my first liter last night. Stuff made me nauseated, dry heaving after every gulp. No abdominal cramping though. Tip: drink water after every gulp.

queenradu

Postby queenradu » Wed Jun 30, 2010 9:53 pm

Over the past 11 years I've had about 7 colonoscopies. For the last 2 I used the Osmo Prep pills because i couldn't get down the Fleet Phospo-sludge. This time my gastro asked me to try the Movi Prep, since the pills could possibly cause kidney problems or other problems. Since I love my doctor, I told him I would try it. I used every trick posted on this site, and literally could not get down more than one teaspoon. Vile, nasty, disgusting - I could go on and on. Luckily I had time to call my gastro's office and get the Osmo Prep pills again. What a difference - even though you have to take about 30 pills and drink more liquid than you would in a year, it's a breeze compared to the Movi Prep.

I truly would like to know why, if they can put a man on the moon, can't someone come up with something that doesn't taste like the Harlem River? Does anyone taste test this sludge before subjecting it to those of us who don't have a lot of choice in the matter? I'll take my chances with the pills any day.

cherryblossom

Postby cherryblossom » Thu Jul 01, 2010 9:38 pm

I'm getting mine done tomorrow at noon. I'm taking the moviprep right now. I really thought it would be worst. The liquid is slightly thicker then water which make is blah for me.
But what HELPS me the most is taking huge sips of moviprep, then a swig of ginger ale and down them together. It really helps to disguise the movieprep.
Also if you feel nauseas, make some vegetable broth hot and breathe in the fumes. It takes your mind away from the moviprep and you will felt better instantly..until the next the sip. But I do the WHOLE routine over and over until the first liter is gone. It went quick...8oz every 15 minutes:)
The I would drink some broth after.
The second liter is done the same. It's mind over matter.

dianetavegia
Facebook Username: Diane Weldy Tavegia

Postby dianetavegia » Fri Jul 02, 2010 7:06 am

I was told to use 4 Dulcolax pills at 1:00 and then mix 238 grams of Miralax in Gatorade and drink 8 oz every 15 minutes until gone. Tasted great and no cramps or gas. It worked great, too.
Stage III cc surgery 1/7/09. 12 tx FOLFOX
Stage IV PET = 1.5cm liver met. HR 4/11/12

14 years since dx and 11 years post liver resection.
Pronounced CURED and discharged by onc

“O Lord my God, I cried out to You, And You healed me.” Psalms 30:2

jwc247

Postby jwc247 » Thu Jul 15, 2010 8:39 pm

Okay, so after reading some of the posts on here I was terrified to start my prep this evening but I took note of some of the advice on here and mixed 2 packs of lemonaide crystal lite in with my 32 oz. of moviprep. I chilled my glass about 30 minutes before taking as well as put my 32 oz. container in the freezer so it would chill. I had my butterscotch candy ready and took my first 8 oz. glass. It wasn't as bad as I expected and let me tell you...the butterscotch neutralizes the taste the second it hits your tongue. Some had suggested using a straw but I decided it would be quicker to just hold my nose and gulp. Before I knew it, I had all 4 glasses down and it stayed down no problem! It was only about an hour before I started going to the bathroom. I only went about 10 times and it wasn't nearly as explosive as described by some. Overall it wasn't bad at all. I hope when I start the whole process over at 6 in the AM I can say the same! Wish me luck! I had a lot of people praying for me too so I know that helped as well! So to any of you reading this like I was at the beginning of the week...you can do it!! It will be over before you know it! Oh, and I walked around in between glasses. My doctor gave me that tidbit of advice. Said it helps to get the stuff processing so it doesn't sit on your belly as long.

Postby Guest » Fri Jul 16, 2010 5:11 am

Okay, I'm back. I woke and couldn't sleep so getting a head start on my morning prep. 2 glass down so far and doing okay. I forgot to mention in my earlier post that someone had suggested being proactive and using Vaseline on your bottom before and after all bm's. Do it!! There has been absolutely no burning except the one time I forgot to put the Vaseline on! And don't forget your flushable wet wipes. They are heavenly!! I predict the next 2 glasses not being an issue. Oh, one more thing. With the morning prep I only added 1 packet of Crystal Light and I think it tastes better than when I added two. Now let's just pray for good test results! I have to do it every 3 years b/c the last one I had pre-cancerous polyps. My dad has GIST, which is a very rare form of cancer but it is genetic.

Return to “Colon Talk - Colon cancer (colorectal cancer) support forum”