Moviprep - colonoscopy prep

Please feel free to read, share your thoughts, your stories and connect with others!
Magnolia

Postby Magnolia » Fri Apr 04, 2008 8:02 am

My hubby and I both have some small 'rrhoids and it didn't seem to be a big deal. Of course, I had my mind on other stuff after my first go around, (like a big honkin' tumor) but even the second time, which went off without a hitch, perfectly normal, the 'rrhoids didn't act up much. Some folks have their 'rrhoids diagnosed at their scope. I don't know anyone with really bad ones who's been scoped. Maybe you should have a big tube of Prep H around. I'm alergic to it. Found that one out the hard way.
Dx Stage IIIC CC 3/10/06
Surgery 3/20/06
Folfox 4/06 - 10/06
Avastin 4/06 - 4/07
NED!

http://www.CoverYourButt.org
Healthcare is a right, not a privilege.

skelly73

Postby skelly73 » Fri Apr 04, 2008 1:50 pm

Magnolia, thank you so much for responding to me. I will take your advice about greasing up! And I promise not to cancel. Thank God that you are doing well. I will say a prayer for you that good health continues for you. I will let you know how things go next Friday. :)

Nellw

Postby Nellw » Fri Apr 04, 2008 2:19 pm

Skelly, I will be interested to hear how it goes. I am having my first scope on 4/15 at age 60. Our son in law's colon cancer jarred us a lot!!
My hubby had his last week and was completely clear,and he drank Nuelytely. He did ok with it, was done drinking 3 liters by 11:00 p.m., slept fine and then had to drink another liter in the early morning. He wasn't crazy about the stuff, of course, but kept it down fine.
I want to cancel too, but I won't.
Son in law dx with stage IIb colon cancer 1/22/08
resection done 1/25//08
T3-4N0M0
Folfox x3 radiation and 5fu x25, now back to Folfox for x9
NED
Daughter In Law, Sue, Diagnosed 5/30/08 Stage I
Surgery scheduled 6/26/08
No chemo no rad. NED

MARE

colonoscopy prep

Postby MARE » Fri Apr 04, 2008 11:25 pm

My last colonoscopy was in Oct. 07 and my Dr. gave me a new prep called Pico Salex. Compared to some of the nauseating preps I have taken over the past 9 years it was great....tastes like Tang...no problem getting it down, and I didn't get sick. It was a pleasant surprise because I usually dread facing another colonoscopy because of the meds. Have any of you tried Pico Salex...what did you think?
Mare

Magnolia

Postby Magnolia » Sat Apr 05, 2008 3:14 pm

Skell and Nell, wishing you both the best.

MARE, I've never heard of this stuff. It's sounds wonderful. I wish we got to choose what prep we want, but sometimes docs have preferences for a reason. (sometimes not) Maybe if we ask nicely our docs would consider using a prep we ask for. Worth a try.
Dx Stage IIIC CC 3/10/06
Surgery 3/20/06
Folfox 4/06 - 10/06
Avastin 4/06 - 4/07
NED!

CRguy

Postby CRguy » Sat Apr 05, 2008 7:30 pm

Ah yes the old "cleans like a white tornado" thread !

We have mentioned Pico-Salax before in various threads but it may only be a Canadian / European thing ??? someone from Britain had something called PicoLax or something similar.

It is citric acid, magnesium oxide and sodium picosulphate. Marketed by Ferring Pharmaceuticals, Toronto. ( 1-800-263-4057 )

there are variable regimens but my surgOnco uses it day before at 8 am and 3 pm, clear fluids OK after that. Mix powder in 5 oz. water and take 8 oz clear fluid (water) every hour to keep hydrated. There is even a protocol which allows certain foods until dinner the day before !! also safe for kids over 1 year.

I am sure somebody could make a good buck getting this stuff into the US as it is infinitely better than anything we have discussed in this forum.

Cheers
CRguy
Caregiver x 4
Stage IV A rectal cancer/lung met
17 Year survivor
my life is an ongoing totally randomized UNcontrolled experiment with N=1 !
Review of my Journey so far

giraffegirl70

Moviprep - vomiting while taking it - please help!

Postby giraffegirl70 » Sun Apr 06, 2008 7:28 pm

I got through the first bottle and cannot swallow any of the second. Of course the Dr. is closed since it is Sunday. Does anyone know if this will ruin my test?? Please help. Thanks!!

guest reply

Vomiting

Postby guest reply » Sun Apr 06, 2008 10:00 pm

Cleveland Clinic says wait 30 minutes if vomit. Then start again with small sips. And walking around may help.

Also read on internet you can stop after half of 2nd liter if your movements are TOTALLY clear. And that a straw to back of mouth helps because taste buds mostly at front. And colder the better. Some people also swigged apple juice or Fresca in alternate swigs to kill taste.

Search Moviprep and click on everything. And use Crohns Moviprep and IBS Moviprep because they have to do often and have tips.

Good luck

gofisch

Postby gofisch » Mon Apr 07, 2008 10:04 pm

ITA the straw helped a lot! And it HAS to be cold!!! I discovered 2 other helps--one was that I popped gum in my mouth the second I stopped sipping. So I didn't have to remember what I was doing--I just had the mint taste afterward. I never did get through the whole bottle the night before, and I just gave up.

In the morning, I tried to pretend it tasted good. As I was guzzling those 10-12 sips per 8 oz., I tried convincing myself I was drinking something tasty. It kind of sort of helped. At least it went down MUCH quicker than it did the night before. I didn't get through the whole thing then either. But believe me, it worked just fine.

I am definitely begging my surgeon for one of those pills, though!

skelly73

colonoscopy

Postby skelly73 » Sat Apr 12, 2008 4:25 pm

I had my first colonoscopy on Friday 4/11. You were all right; prep was the hardest part - trying to get that nasty stuff down. I was prescribed MoviPrep. I got it all down after much gagging and crying. What made it worse was I had a raging headache when I woke up on Thursday and I couldn't take anything. I didn't have any results until around 9:30 that night and woke up a few times during the night running to the bathroom. Then I had to get up early and drink it again!! I managed to drink 3/4th of it and stopped. By the time I left to go to the hospital, I was completely cleaned out. The procedure was nothing. They gave me some really good stuff to send me off to sleep and when I woke up, I was in the recovery room and my husband was right there. The doctor said every looked good, no polyps. I do have some hemorroids but I can deal with that. But it was worth it to have piece of mind. My heart goes out to you all who are going through chemo and radiation. I will continue to say a prayer. I am so glad I found this website. All the helpful information and funny stories about your experiences help me a lot. God Bless you all!

skeeter

Halfway through my second bottle..

Postby skeeter » Tue Apr 15, 2008 10:38 am

So, I'm sitting here working through my second bottle and thought I would google "moviprep" and found this site. My first colonoscopy (age 47) is in a few hours. I really miss having my coffee this morning. It has been helpful to read about others who have gone through this. I have no idea what they are going to find today, but I hope we are on the road to resolve what is wrong with me. I'm not having any trouble with the Moviprep, except that I wish I was sipping my morning coffee instead.

Novembergirl

Moviprep

Postby Novembergirl » Fri May 23, 2008 4:16 pm

Hello all
I thought I'd add to this thread, having just had a colonoscopy, and I used the Moviprep.
First the colonoscopy. I was sedated with something like valium and the painkiller was pethadine. I did find the procedure painful at times, but it was over quickly and it wasn't appalling. If you have the option to be put right out (not sure we can have that here in the UK), it might be worth going for it, but it really wasn't so bad. Lucky for me, no problems showed up (was being checked out because of changes in bowel habit, family history etc). Everyone's different of course, but my own experience was really OK, so I'd say don't be too nervous.
The Moviprep was a bit of an ordeal - not so much the effects of it, which I didn't find too bad apart from some cramping, but having to drink so much of the nasty stuff. Even so, I did manage it OK thanks to some great tips left by other people. These are: make up the Moviprep a couple of hours in advance and chill it. Get it really cold. Find a thick straw and use it to take the liquid right to the back of your throat, then you won't taste it so much. Pour out an amount that you can drink down all at once (don't pause between sucks) and then have a glass of water. Then a bit more Moviprep and so on. That way I got it down OK, although I did feel a bit nauseous at times. Hope this helps.

Magnolia

Postby Magnolia » Sun May 25, 2008 8:48 pm

So I get to be on TWO days of clear liquids this time. Yummy! My doc wants to scan me first to make sure my scads of diverticulae are behaving themselves, since I get diverticulitis at the least excuse and on one occasion had such mild symptoms I didn't know I had it. I showed up on one of my scans as an incidental finding. He doesn't want to discover something like that during the scope. Then he wants a super prep to make sure all the little diverticulae are nice and clean. At least it's not cancer he's worried about this time. He's doing the scope to look for polyps, but the scan has nothing to do with that. I'm going to LOVE this prep. Two days of clear liquids followed by MoviPrep. Better that than a perf, though.
Dx Stage IIIC CC 3/10/06
Surgery 3/20/06
Folfox 4/06 - 10/06
Avastin 4/06 - 4/07
NED!

wow..this stuff is apalling!!

Re: Moviprep - colonoscopy prep

Postby wow..this stuff is apalling!! » Thu Jun 12, 2008 8:20 pm

Moviprep is the most nauseating thing I have evr tasted. I have just finished the first liter, and am dreading the fact that I stil have one more to go. Whoops gotta run to the toilet........... :arrow: :x

gofisch

Re: Moviprep - colonoscopy prep

Postby gofisch » Fri Jun 13, 2008 4:06 pm

I did moviprep before first colonoscopy. I chewed gum right after those sucks on the straw, and that helped.

Before surgery, it was the citrate of magnesia stuff--I got the first bottle down okay, but there was nothing that could have helped that second bottle. I'm gagging now even writing about it! The surgeon switched me to the fleets phospho whatever and I did that straight without mixing. It is a miracle it stayed down, let me tell you.

Yes, it saved my life. But I am never doing it again. I will do pills or I will not do it. I'm a grown up with a bad attitude!!!
Frances
47, Mom
Rectal tumor (stage III) 1/31/08
6 weeks radiation/5Fu
LAR w/ loop ileo May/08
Folfox 7/08-1/09
Done with chemo 1/2/09!!!
Reversal 10/8/09, ileus, blockage, resection, home after 30 days!
4 years NED!

Return to “Colon Talk - Colon cancer (colorectal cancer) support forum”