Moviprep - colonoscopy prep

Please feel free to read, share your thoughts, your stories and connect with others!
me2

Re: Moviprep - colonoscopy prep

Postby me2 » Tue Dec 02, 2014 2:54 pm

horizon wrote:[
What is completely enraging is that there IS a better colonoscopy prep. It was finally approved for use in the USA a while ago. You drink 5 oz of fizzy orange twice and the rest is just large amounts of clear liquid. Sounds like heaven right? I wouldn't know. I've only been prescribed Moviprep. :evil: :evil: :evil:

http://prepopik.com/about_prepopik.html

I can't do the straw technique either. I chug it as fast as I can while fighting back vomiting.

Miralax is flavorless and non-prescription.

Still 64 - 128 ounces of fluid, although it can be ice water.
July 2014 stage 1 RC t1n0m0 age 41
August 2014 TEMS
September 2015 scope one diminutive hyperplastic polyp

Ron50

Postby Ron50 » Tue Dec 02, 2014 4:12 pm

Moviprep has become a way of life for me. I suffer from a lot of auto -immune problems including nephrotic syndrome of the kidneys (losing up to seven grams of protein a day thru my urine). I take 75 mg of cyclosporine twice a day for that. Cyclosporine causes constipation. Ankylosing spondylitis grade 2.3 and psoriatic arthritis. My nephrologist and gp were becoming alarmed at the level of pain I was enduring so they put me on Targin. It is oxycodone combined with naloxone ,an opiate antagonist. The naloxone is supposed to stop me getting high which it does and stops opiate induced constipation which it doesn't. As a result every time I take a dose of targin , 40mg oxy//20mg naloxone twice a day , I have to take two dulcolax and two coloxyl to restart motility. I start every morning with a dose of movicol and on bad days I take up to 5 sachets . Last scope ( I have had ten) was a breeze. I still don't like it but I have become very used to it. On the 22nd of jan I will be 16 years clear of stage 3 colon cancer. I have found that there is always a price to pay for everything in life. Ron.
dx 1/98
st 3 c 6 nodes
48 sessions 5Fu/levamisole
no recurrence cea <.5
numerous l/t side effects of chemo

horizon

Postby horizon » Wed Dec 03, 2014 9:57 am

me2 wrote:Miralax is flavorless and non-prescription.

When I did the Miralax prep I was told to put it in Gatorade. I also had a bad reaction to the dulcolax they said to take with it.
I'm just a dude who still can't believe he had a resection and went through chemo (currently 13 years NED). Is this real life?

exaussie

Postby exaussie » Wed Dec 03, 2014 11:05 am

Daughter tried moviprep got real sick passed out and was ill for 2 days. Rescheduled with Prepopik. Miralax was not recommended because of age-since most tumours in young people (daughter is 22) are in ascending colon (like my sons) miralax does not do a good job of cleaning that section out.
DS 26 yrs old diagnosed 6/13 T3N2aM1b
Resection 6/13
6 rounds chemo folfax
12/13 Fissure
hernia surgery 12/13
5 months break
Maintenance chemo 3/14
Crazy growth. Liver failing. Folfox and vectibex 7-29-14
Chemo failure Hospice 8/26
Left us 8/28

me2

Postby me2 » Wed Dec 03, 2014 5:55 pm

horizon wrote:
me2 wrote:Miralax is flavorless and non-prescription.

When I did the Miralax prep I was told to put it in Gatorade.

My instructions were "any clear liquid."

The concern is that unlike vile salty solutions, it's just Poly Ethylene Glycol 3350 without electrolytes.

If you (or your doctors) share that concern and you dislike Gatorade you can pair it with electrolyte pills.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B002NSR00K

Four pills yield the same sodium and potassium you get in 64 ounces of gatorade (110mg and 30mg per 8oz respectively; for 880mg and 240mg total) which is one every two 8oz glasses.
July 2014 stage 1 RC t1n0m0 age 41
August 2014 TEMS
September 2015 scope one diminutive hyperplastic polyp

wheeze

Postby wheeze » Mon Feb 09, 2015 2:41 pm

Hi

I wanted to share my experience having read through this thread to prepare for my colonoscopy. I've found a lot of the posts here very helpful and hopefully i can give insight to others about to go through this procedure.

I am a 41 year old male, based in the UK with a family history of bowel cancer. I have had on/off rectal bleeding for about 6 months which is most likely caused by haemorrhoids but my GP wanted to get me checked due to the family history.

I must admit to having been very apprehensive about this procedure. Some of the posts online would have you believe the prep involves starvation, vomiting and excruciating pain during the process. For me it was quite different.

I was sent some Moviprep a few days in advance, and told to eat low fibre for the 2 days prior to the colonoscopy. I was surprised to get a note from the hospital telling me to ignore the instructions in the moviprep leaflet and instead i could eat from the supplied allowed food list until 4pm the day before the procedure (which was at 8:30am). Eating no fibre was difficult as the allowed food list was fairly restricted, this left me feeling rather bloated but better than no food at all. I had my last meal (a cheese sandwich) at about 13:00 the day before - my logic being that i could eat until 4pm but i would merely have to expel it later on so better to avoid eating as much as i could.

I made the Moviprep at about 16:00 ready to take the first litre at 17:00. I was expecting it to be utterly foul, but thankfully (in my opinion at least) it really wasn’t that bad - slightly salty, lemony taste. My wife’s culinary experiments have been good training for this :D I just held my nose and chugged it down over the course of about 40 minutes. I was expecting to react pretty quickly but it took about 2.5 hours before things got going. I did have some stomach cramps whilst waiting for it to kick in but nothing too bad. Around 19:30 the floodgates opened. This was pretty easy really, just locked myself in the loo with my iPad and some wipes. I managed to finish up by about 20:30 (with a new high score in Angry Birds) then headed to the kitchen to prepare the 2nd litre of Moviprep. This was a bit harder to get down, mainly due to the high volume of fluid rather than the taste. I had already drunk a lot of water as advised so downing another litre was tricky but not impossible. I managed to finish this by around 21:15. From then on i alternated between lying in bed with the occasional stomach pain and visiting the loo to let things take their course. By about 1am i felt i had pretty much cleared everything out and went to sleep. I woke at 6 for a glass of water and one final purge then headed to the hospital. One of the hardest things for me was not being able to have a morning coffee, my mouth was dry and i was tired. A nice coffee would have hit the spot!

Once i arrived at the hospital i was seen pretty quickly and told what was going to happen. The nurse stuck a needle in my hand for the sedative and i signed the consent forms. After changing into a gown i had a quick chat with the doctor who was carrying out the procedure then took my place on the bed, lying on my side with my knees up to my chest as requested. I was asked if i minded some student nurses in the room, which i didn’t. The sedation was administered. I have no idea what this was, but it did the trick! I wasn’t asleep but felt very, very relaxed and comfortable. As a parent of a 6 & 8 year old, i could really do with a regular supply of this stuff...

The procedure itself was as you would expect. Its not nice having a hose shoved up your backside and having your bowel inflated, but it didn’t hurt. It just feels a bit uncomfortable as they manoeuvre around the bends. I watched the whole thing on the screen which was interesting, and having the student nurses in the room meant the doctor gave a running commentary which took my mind off the discomfort a little. On the way out they found one polyp which was removed with a little metal band, i didn’t feel a thing. The haemorrhoids were visible but not touched, these will be “banded” off at a later date. The whole process took about 30 minutes and they got all the way to the end, so nothing was missed. The polyp is being sent for tests so i’ll hear about that in a couple of weeks.

I was wheeled into the recovery room and given a cup of water. Once the nurse saw that i drank this without issue they gave me a (much appreciated) coffee and a couple of biscuits. The nurse ran though the results and told me the next steps and I was discharged at about 11:15, so in total i had been at the hospital just short of 3 hours - no big deal for a procedure which gives me some peace of mind for the next few years. Once i got home i ate a sandwich and went to bed for a few hours, having the best sleep i’ve had in a long time.

All in all i think the worry leading up to the colonoscopy was far worse than the procedure itself. Its quite possible to worry yourself int a frenzy with some of the things written online. For me at least, this was a pretty simple and bearable process. Moviprep wasn’t half as bad as i was expecting, and the procedure was no big deal (for me at any rate). Plus i got a day off work, most of which was spent in bed so thats a bonus too. I’m glad i’ve got this over with, hopefully the polyp will turn out to be clear and i can put this out of my mind for the next 5 years!

To all going through this, good luck!

bama

Postby bama » Wed Oct 21, 2015 4:44 pm

I am currently doing the prep for a colonoscopy & endoscopy in the morning. Taking both doses today, had one at 3pm & will have another at 7pm. Having a colonoscopy done due to onset of iron deficiency anemia, have also had some rectal bleeding. The moviprep I must say is a lot better than I expected. My dr had me stop food at 5pm yesterday, 2 days before exam, and start clear liquids. The results with the moviprep, besides drinking it, are not that bad. Maybe it is because I have been without food longer, all my bowel movements have been liquid & easy to expel. It started working about 45-50 minutes after starting at 3pm. By 5:30 p.m. the urges are staring to lessen. Even having no food for that long was not too bad. Have been eating italian ice, college inn turkey broth, which tastes a lot better than cheaper brands and iced tea. Just remember to drink a lot of fluids. Not looking forward to the IV in the morning but hopefully it will be easier as I am trying to stay well hydrated. No, the taste of moviprep is not good, but just get it down as quick as possible! I sucked on green jolly ranchers also. This prep really isn't that bad, but I am afraid of what they might find during the test, not the exam itself.

horizon

Postby horizon » Wed Oct 21, 2015 10:54 pm

wheeze wrote:The procedure itself was as you would expect. Its not nice having a hose shoved up your backside and having your bowel inflated, but it didn’t hurt. It just feels a bit uncomfortable as they manoeuvre around the bends. I watched the whole thing on the screen which was interesting, and having the student nurses in the room meant the doctor gave a running commentary which took my mind off the discomfort a little. On the way out they found one polyp which was removed with a little metal band, i didn’t feel a thing. The haemorrhoids were visible but not touched, these will be “banded” off at a later date. The whole process took about 30 minutes and they got all the way to the end, so nothing was missed. The polyp is being sent for tests so i’ll hear about that in a couple of weeks.

Wow. I cannot imagine being awake for that. Glad you handled it well!
I'm just a dude who still can't believe he had a resection and went through chemo (currently 13 years NED). Is this real life?

Nik Colon

Postby Nik Colon » Wed Oct 21, 2015 11:08 pm

horizon wrote:
wheeze wrote:The procedure itself was as you would expect. Its not nice having a hose shoved up your backside and having your bowel inflated, but it didn’t hurt. It just feels a bit uncomfortable as they manoeuvre around the bends. I watched the whole thing on the screen which was interesting, and having the student nurses in the room meant the doctor gave a running commentary which took my mind off the discomfort a little. On the way out they found one polyp which was removed with a little metal band, i didn’t feel a thing. The haemorrhoids were visible but not touched, these will be “banded” off at a later date. The whole process took about 30 minutes and they got all the way to the end, so nothing was missed. The polyp is being sent for tests so i’ll hear about that in a couple of weeks.

Wow. I cannot imagine being awake for that. Glad you handled it well!

I was awake too, they gave me stuff but I remember it all and watching the screen. It was interesting watching it and seeing your insides :D

horizon

Postby horizon » Thu Oct 22, 2015 8:17 am

Nik Colon wrote:I was awake too, they gave me stuff but I remember it all and watching the screen. It was interesting watching it and seeing your insides :D

Katie Couric's video where she was awake during her colonoscopy really calmed me down when I was upset about getting a colonoscopy. With that being said I always tell them to make sure to knock me out. :D

Return to “Colon Talk - Colon cancer (colorectal cancer) support forum”