Moviprep - colonoscopy prep

Please feel free to read, share your thoughts, your stories and connect with others!
mrsG
Facebook Username: Katie George

Re: Moviprep - colonoscopy prep

Postby mrsG » Tue Jan 28, 2014 7:03 pm

Hi, I'm supposedly having a colonoscopy tomorrow...if moviprep ever works. Its been 4 hours and nothing has happened, apart from cramps. The stuff is foul, that I cried, threw my phone, smashed the wash basket in temper...but got it down! (I'm not usually bad tempered!) I'm worried now, that a) my legs wont work from sitting on the loo with cramps for an hour and, b) it won't work at all! Here's hoping I never have to do this again (apart from dose 2 tomorrow!!!) Best wishes to everyone. X

horizon

Postby horizon » Thu Jan 30, 2014 10:53 pm

Mountain Girl wrote:Has anybody had a severe, almost allergic-like, reaction to movi-prep? My husband got down three glasses of it and then started throwing up. He had chills and sweats and a migraine - basically curled up on the couch as though he had the flu. He's very allergic to MSG and the other compounds that cause similar reactions (autolyzed or hydrolyzed yeast extract or soy protein) to MSG intolerant folks. He's read that some people with an MSG intolerance cannot tolerate aspartame (nutri-sweet). Movi-prep has aspartame in it. He didn't get cleaned out enough for the colonoscopy and we had to reschedule. This time they prescribed some pills to take. Just curious if anybody has had a similar experience.

I did but I figured out it was actually the dulcolax pills that they had me take along with the moviprep. Next time I did it without the pills and was fine.
I'm just a dude who still can't believe he had a resection and went through chemo (currently 13 years NED). Is this real life?

suz871

Postby suz871 » Sun Feb 02, 2014 6:51 pm

horizon wrote:I have never called upon my willpower like I do when I'm doing this prep and staring down ANOTHER glass of Satan's liquid when I am THIS close to puking. We should get some sort of medal for going through that. :D

I am in the middle stage of the Moviprep dosages. I was browsing online about people's experience with this particular prep and stumbled upon your post. I have to say I literally did LOL at your referring to it as "Satan's liquid". That is classic! This is my seventh colonoscopy that am prepping for. I have Crohn's disease. I do agree that a medal should be awarded for completing these challenging preps.
Thank you for the laugh while I'm going through this. :)

horizon

Postby horizon » Mon Feb 03, 2014 11:25 pm

suz871 wrote:
horizon wrote:I have never called upon my willpower like I do when I'm doing this prep and staring down ANOTHER glass of Satan's liquid when I am THIS close to puking. We should get some sort of medal for going through that. :D

I am in the middle stage of the Moviprep dosages. I was browsing online about people's experience with this particular prep and stumbled upon your post. I have to say I literally did LOL at your referring to it as "Satan's liquid". That is classic! This is my seventh colonoscopy that am prepping for. I have Crohn's disease. I do agree that a medal should be awarded for completing these challenging preps.
Thank you for the laugh while I'm going through this. :)

ha ha! Glad I could brighten an otherwise crappy day. (see what I did there?)
I'm just a dude who still can't believe he had a resection and went through chemo (currently 13 years NED). Is this real life?

lilbatz

Postby lilbatz » Thu Jun 19, 2014 3:54 pm

I can't believe it's been 6 years since my first colonoscopy.

Anyway...it's me and MoviPrep again. Oh, you gross beverage of Lemon Pledgeness.

I drank clear liquids all day yesterday with a few saltines here and there. I just chugged the first 250 mls.

So far....

Chilled - use three straws - and chug like a drunken frat boy. Swished my mouth out with very salty water water. I hate sweet drinks.

No complaining here. I have a good gastro doctor, who has found large polyps on my last two colonoscopies. I have insurance that will cover the procedure.

I'm willing to chug Lemon Pledge grossness for piece of mind.

lilbatz

Postby lilbatz » Thu Jun 19, 2014 9:36 pm

Just chugged down the last liter. The two straws and icy cold makes the difference. So did just doing a liquid diet two days before this. My bottom isn't a raw mess.

To keep the chills away, I drank 16 oz of warm vegetable stock. I loathe sweet drinks, so this really helped.

Praying for an uneventful scope tomorrow.

NanBat

Peloton

Postby Peloton » Thu Jun 19, 2014 11:07 pm

lilbatz wrote:Praying for an uneventful scope tomorrow.

Best of luck with the scope. Hopefully you're past the worst of it.
Diagnosed Stage 3 rc; 30 y/o M - 8/10
Chemo Rad - 8/10 through 10/10
FOFLOX 4 rounds - 10/10 through 12/10
LAR - 1/11; 12 out of 13 nodes positive, stage 3c; T4N2M0; temp ileo
FOXFOX 8 rounds, 6 w/ Avastin - 2/11 through 5/11
Ileo reversed - 7/11
NED

lilbatz

Postby lilbatz » Fri Jun 20, 2014 6:40 am

Today is the day of the festivities. My gastro had me do a split prep. Drink the MoviPrep at 5 pm, then again at 11 pm. I was worried about not sleeping, and having accidents. Nothing! Passed out at 12:30 am.

This was the first time for the split prep for me.

Thank you Pelton for the good wishes. I lurk on the board, praying and rooting for everyone here. I've lost two friends to colon cancer, and dear God, how many here?

I remember Gaelen and justsing giving me a PM dope slap when I wrote way back I was scared about the test, and whining about the prep. If it wasn't for people saying, "See my sig? You have a chance avoid all this. Get it done! Like NOW!", the chances are very good I would be looking at colon cancer at 48. I'm 50 now.

What a gift they (you all on the board too) gave me.

In reality, the prep and the test are nothing compared to the alternatives of avoiding the issue and having it morph into something more awful.

WhiteKnite

Postby WhiteKnite » Thu Oct 23, 2014 2:30 pm

Hello!

I'm sorry to bump this thread, but I need advice.

I'm about to have my first colonoscopy tomorrow at 1:45 PM. I've been on a liquid diet for the past 2 days. I've gotten down 1L of Moviprep now and I'm already passing clear watery stools. I had problems getting it down, even though I had pills against nausea. I started to take the dose at 7:30PM and the clock is now around 10:30PM, and I'm still passing watery stools. I'll need to take the next 1L tomorrow at 8 AM, and I wonder, how long does the diarrhea last? Also, how can you get down this without getting nausea?

Oh and I read the thread go get advice and so.

Charlesmarles
Facebook Username: Andiepetersen

Postby Charlesmarles » Thu Oct 23, 2014 2:39 pm

In my experience the watery stools should stop soon and you should be able to sleep. I think mine went for 3.5-4 hours. Then it will start all over again with the morning dose. I was very afraid I would keep *peeing out my butt* all the way to the drs office, but didn't. Hang in there, the worst is almost over! I got nausea if I drank it too fast and too much at one time. It's awful, but slow down a little if it hits your stomach like a bag of bricks.
Dx 1/16/14 34 y F
2/3/14 sigmoid Colon resection LN 0/15 - stage 1
CEA: 2/3/14 Undetectable; 3/13/14 0.5; 6/26/14 0.9; 9/26/14 0.5; 12/24/14 0.4
Expecting a New baby July 2015

WhiteKnite

Postby WhiteKnite » Thu Oct 23, 2014 11:29 pm

Thanks for your reply!

I woke up at 5:30 am this morning, still having really watery stools, but this time it was not clear. Trying to get my second liter down now, started at 7:10 am. Got some sleep, hopefully I'll make it to the doctors office without making a mess!

Charlesmarles
Facebook Username: Andiepetersen

Postby Charlesmarles » Fri Oct 24, 2014 4:41 pm

How did your scope go WhiteKnite?
Dx 1/16/14 34 y F
2/3/14 sigmoid Colon resection LN 0/15 - stage 1
CEA: 2/3/14 Undetectable; 3/13/14 0.5; 6/26/14 0.9; 9/26/14 0.5; 12/24/14 0.4
Expecting a New baby July 2015

Gillydaisy

Postby Gillydaisy » Fri Oct 31, 2014 11:19 am

I have a few tips for tolerating Moviprep - I am taking it today!
Firstly, I find it is best to make it stronger with just half a litre of water(this is not as crazy as it sounds) - yes I know that is doubling the strength of the horrible taste, but it means you get it over in half the number of sucks through the straw (place straw far back in mouth) and in half the time. Because it is not fully diluted, you must let it dilute more in your stomach by immediately drinking lots of your preferred clear drink.
I am one of those people who is never fully 'cleared out' after the prescribed amount of Moviprep (or any preparation). I have to stop eating at least half a day earlier than recommended and start the process with normal laxatives and continue these after finishing the preparation, Always drinking lots of liquid of course to flush out and keep hydrated. Everyone is different and the dosage just isn't enough for floppy bowels.

sunset

Postby sunset » Sun Nov 16, 2014 6:23 am

Well I have to say I am utterly surprised how this "Satans" drink, as in my opinion correctly refereed to by Horizon, still on the market and still being popularly used after 7 years!! We have managed to land on a comet in between but can't come up with some better for colonoscopy prep?!

I haven't thought it's going to be that bad. Read all the tips, tried everything, but this thing is pure EVIL. It was much more salty then expected and I cannot come near a lime smell without almost gagging now. I guess it depends on your taste buds. If you want to know how it will taste to you I suggest to put some salt in water, add some lime and drink it - it's basically the Moviprep taste. For some people I hear the taste is not so bad, so you might be the lucky one! For me - I was expecting much more lime and much less salt in taste, which led to me throwing up the first sip. I barely made it through the first round and have quite quickly given up on the straw thing as it was just taking to long and the taste was quite similarly bad. I decided for the second technique - gulp as fast as possible. The horrible taste level is almost the same but at least the glass is quickly finished so you can go on on chewing gum, drinking apple juice or whatever thing of your choice for getting rid of the taste.

The second batch I barely made it through. It took me 2.5h to drink it (versus 1st batch 45 min) and I felt badly nauseated for 3 hours. I do not know how people who go through this yearly/5-yearly make it. My hat down to you!

For me it took about 2.5h for 1st batch to start working and I didn't experience any uncontrollable urges down there. My visits to the toilet were about 1-2 per hour, and I was peeing from my butt (you really can't describe it any other way) already about the third time I went to the toilet. It was yellowish-gold without any pieces already before the second Moviprep batch. The second batch moved more quickly and also required more often toilet visits (first every 10 minutes, then after 1.5h gradually better) but the "water" stayed exactly the same color - yellowish-gold until the morning when I had the exam. Was worried it means I am not clean enough (as I was reading it can be light yellow at the best) but doctor didn't mention a thing and the procedure went well. I have to say that finishing 3 h before procedure is not nearly enough time. I finished 7h before and was still having diarrhea just before going to the doctor.

I was supposedly given only sedation but it knocked me out completely, so I don't remember a thing (I even had a dream which I apparently started to explain to the nurse) :D The pain came later on but just in the lower part of the stomach and it was similar as when having a bad period. It subsided gradually over the time of 5-7 days (doctor said I was just sore), but I have to say I was surprised as I haven't expected this pain to go on for so long as I watched what I ate first few days after the procedure, and I am also quite young (25). I was also in the unlucky few with the 2-day post colonoscopy diarrhea and some crazy anal area itching (which the doctor said it might be some allergic reaction and just told me to use aloe-vera). For the itching here I am 1 week later still waiting to subside. Going crazy and will probably visit the doctor again.

For all of you in the preparation faze - do not even think of going in without wet toilet paper tissues (do not use the regular one at all on the day of prep and I suggest the next day also) and after each trip to the toilet use a Vaseline or sth similar - I had no "sore butt issues" and I am very sensitive to that (sometimes have it during normal "poop" time).

Results not so bad - yay me! :)

horizon

Postby horizon » Fri Nov 21, 2014 10:33 am

sunset wrote:Well I have to say I am utterly surprised how this "Satans" drink, as in my opinion correctly refereed to by Horizon, still on the market and still being popularly used after 7 years!! We have managed to land on a comet in between but can't come up with some better for colonoscopy prep?!

I haven't thought it's going to be that bad. Read all the tips, tried everything, but this thing is pure EVIL. It was much more salty then expected and I cannot come near a lime smell without almost gagging now. I guess it depends on your taste buds. If you want to know how it will taste to you I suggest to put some salt in water, add some lime and drink it - it's basically the Moviprep taste. For some people I hear the taste is not so bad, so you might be the lucky one! For me - I was expecting much more lime and much less salt in taste, which led to me throwing up the first sip. I barely made it through the first round and have quite quickly given up on the straw thing as it was just taking to long and the taste was quite similarly bad. I decided for the second technique - gulp as fast as possible. The horrible taste level is almost the same but at least the glass is quickly finished so you can go on on chewing gum, drinking apple juice or whatever thing of your choice for getting rid of the taste.

What is completely enraging is that there IS a better colonoscopy prep. It was finally approved for use in the USA a while ago. You drink 5 oz of fizzy orange twice and the rest is just large amounts of clear liquid. Sounds like heaven right? I wouldn't know. I've only been prescribed Moviprep. :evil: :evil: :evil:

http://prepopik.com/about_prepopik.html

I can't do the straw technique either. I chug it as fast as I can while fighting back vomiting.

Glad your test was ok. :D

Return to “Colon Talk - Colon cancer (colorectal cancer) support forum”