Moviprep - colonoscopy prep

Please feel free to read, share your thoughts, your stories and connect with others!
JALsails

Re: Moviprep - colonoscopy prep

Postby JALsails » Thu Nov 12, 2009 8:44 pm

Just 24 oz into the 1st liter of MoviPrep I started vomiting. I was chasing each gulp with 7 up or clear raspberry juice. That controlled the flavor. Not the vomitting. My son is a GI in CA. He recommends lemon wedges - just like doing tequila shots, First suck on the lemon, then down as much as you can of really COLD MoviPrep, hold nose, follow with another piece of lemon in your mouth. This stuff is nasty.

a patient

Postby a patient » Sat Nov 14, 2009 11:49 pm

next time doctor says I can do golightly I am not sure if that is any better but I think I used it a long time ago and it was not that bad. not like the giant jug of movi prep that did not even work. I had a nurse have the nerve to accuse me of eating during my prep. that moviprep is so nauseating that it takes away your appetite anyway

Lizard

Postby Lizard » Sun Nov 15, 2009 8:21 am

I just did a prep a few weeks ago with something called pico salex. It was very easy. You mix a small sachet of powder with a glass of water. The taste is not bad at all and it works. I think it is only available in Canada. Ask your doctor about it. It is much easier than anything else I have taken.

Liz
3b sigmoid colon cancer
T3 N1 M0
Folfox started Feb. 09
Mother of 3
Daughter 10
Sons, 8 and 4

turtlemama77
Facebook Username: Sheri.Jahner

Postby turtlemama77 » Sun Nov 15, 2009 9:08 am

I had my first colonoscopy at the beginning of Sept. I got the first half of the jug down mostly okay, but ugh. The rest? Ugh. I tried mixing it with a couple different crystal light flavors, and ugh. I'll have to come back here to reread the tips because I'm going to have to do the prep again before my surgery in late Dec/early Jan. Booooooo.
Sheri Age 35 :)
ddx Sept 09 Stage III Rectal ca
28 radiation/5FU done 11/6/09
Surgery 1/06/10
8 rounds of chemo 2/4/10 done 5/15/10
more chemo, Folfuri/Erbitux 3/11
chemo switch, FOLFOX/Avastin
http://imsorryforcursing.blogspot.com/

CRguy

Postby CRguy » Sun Nov 15, 2009 9:28 pm

Lizard wrote:I just did a prep a few weeks ago with something called pico salex. It was very easy. You mix a small sachet of powder with a glass of water. The taste is not bad at all and it works. I think it is only available in Canada. Ask your doctor about it. It is much easier than anything else I have taken.
Liz

Also Europe and Aussie... seems the USA is the only place it is not readily used ?????

It is not bad at all and WAYYYY better than all the other vile and nasty sludge we read about in this thread.
I bet if the Gastro's had to drinlk this crap themselves they would all switch to Pico Salax.

Cheers
CRguy
Caregiver x 4
Stage IV A rectal cancer/lung met
17 Year survivor
my life is an ongoing totally randomized UNcontrolled experiment with N=1 !
Review of my Journey so far

mtm

Postby mtm » Tue Dec 22, 2009 2:21 pm

Had my first screening colonoscopy yesterday at age 56. My GI doc prescribed MoviPrep. I had always heard the prep was the worst part and a friend told me her prep had her pooping and puking. I took a Dramamine in the hopes of preventing vomiting, refrigerated the prep, drank though a straw and found the entire process very tolerable. My doc had me do the 2-part regimen, i.e., 1 liter the eve before and 1 liter in the am. Worked great. Had I had to do both liters the eve before, it would have been a problem to get off the pot to prepare and drink the second liter. The aspartame and lemon flavoring made drinking the product doable and it didn't taste like swallowing sea water as my friend told me hers did.

jules10100

Postby jules10100 » Sun Dec 27, 2009 3:01 pm

Just had a colonscopy the other day and this time, the prep was to drink 252 ounces of gatorade mixed with 2 whole bottles of Miralax, The Miralax doesn't have a taste, but I hate Gatorade and found it impossible to finish 252 ounces. I didn't really need to finish anyway. The effect was miserable but I guess it was better then the Golytly or the other stuff I have endured in the past...glad it is over!
RC resection 06/07 xeloda, radiation, folfox
Stage IV Lung and Liver Mets 11/08 res
Folfiri & Avas 09
2/10 lung spots Irr.Erb
Next Vectibix
Irr, Erb and Avas. for Lung spots 4/11
Folfirinox
Clinical trial Nov 11. Brain mets
Option for Chemo unknown

crazicoolgirl

Postby crazicoolgirl » Wed Jan 06, 2010 9:51 pm

I have only had a colonoscopy once in my life at the age of 34 and I have to say that the Moviprep worked great. I got the first bottle down no problem. The second bottle took a little longer but was dealable. The best thing I found with this prep was that I had absolutely no stomach cramping. I think that can be the worst thing ever - having stomach pains. I would definitely recommend this prep.

JenG

Postby JenG » Wed Jan 20, 2010 2:56 am

[quote="Joanie"]I had a colonoscopy at age 44 (12 years ago) due to family history - mom was diagnosed with colon cancer at 60, (lived to 85) her dad died from colon cancer at age 75 - so needless to say I had to have one done before 50. Anyway, 12 years have passed and I KNOW I am way overdue BUT, because of the prep the first time with Fleet, I swore I would never do it again. I experienced horrible nausea and literally was on the toilet 30 times from 4 pm to 8 am not to mention my butt being a bit sore. At my consult this morning, the doctor prescribed Moviprep. I am so freaked out by reading some of your experiences with it that I am considering canceling my colonoscopy which, of course, would be stupid. I have a fear of vomiting (there is some kind of name for this phobia) and am wondering if anyone has indeed vomited with Moviprep. Maybe I should take the pills instead? Would really appreciate any input. Thanks![/quote

Stumbled across your post - its 2010 now and I have mine on Fri - I feel like you do...how did you get over your fear? Get it done?

MARE

Postby MARE » Wed Jan 20, 2010 2:24 pm

See if your Dr. is able to order Pico Salex....you will never have problems with nausea again. It is like Tang
Mare

nurse

Postby nurse » Tue Feb 02, 2010 6:58 pm

I am having surgery tomorrow to remove a 11 cm tumor that is squishing my sigmoid colon. It is not in the colon it is in the pelvis. Still they are making me do the bowel prep and I don't know why. I started the moviprep at 5pm and can not finish it. I have tried all of these tricks and just can't do it. I finished half, and am having clear liquid coming out. so hopefully thats good enough. since i'm not actually having a colonoscopy i figure i can get away with it.

airic

Postby airic » Tue Feb 02, 2010 9:20 pm

Lemon flavor saltwater, good stuff. I was worried about getting addicted to it. Do the liquid diet as perscribed. Then Just hold your breath and drink the amout you need in the time frame. Be close to a toilet. :shock:
Stage IV Colon Cancer
8 inches of Colon removed 11-13-09
Lymph Nodes removed 11-13-09
Liver peice removed 11-13-09
Colosotmy Bag 11-17-09
Start Chomo FLOFOX6 Jan. 4th 2010

fmcclint

Postby fmcclint » Mon Feb 15, 2010 2:08 pm

I just finished having to take MoviPrep as a prep for my colonoscopy and it was horrible. I would like to find the sadist that invented this stuff so I could hold him down and force him to drink his own toxic concoction. This stuff is so foul that one glass is undrinkable, let alone 2 liters! I've had to use it twice now and will never do it again. Just so you know, both times I cheated and was only able to choke down about half of what I was supposed to (or 1 liter) and I made out OK. That probably didn't clean me out as well as it was supposed to, but my doctor was able to complete the colonoscopy both times and didn't indicate any problems to me. To ask someone to drink 2 liters of that swill is cruel and unusual and I wouldn't wish it on my worst enemy. I don't know what if any other alternatives to this are out there, but there needs to be one. Two years ago I took the sodium phosphate pills instead and that was a breeze, but my doctor told me he no longer uses this method because there apparently is some potential for kidney damage. I might want to take that risk if it means not having to endure the torture of Moviprep!

Rodman

Postby Rodman » Fri Mar 05, 2010 6:43 am

I'm doing second set of Moviprep now. Chill it. pour it into a plastic bottle instead of a glass. try to keep it away from your tongue. :evil: 2-3 swallows, then rinse your mouth out with ice cold ginger ale. this might dull your taste buds. when that 8 oz is done, chase it with black coffee. :mrgreen:

carol.booky

Postby carol.booky » Fri Mar 12, 2010 11:29 am

Well, I had my first colonoscopy yesterday and found the procedure itself to be a breeze. I reviewed this board as I was preparing to start taking the Moviprep and I want to thank everyone for their ideas on how to best drink it. That being said, I will NEVER use Moviprep as prescribed again! It took me 2 hours to get the 1st liter down, even after chilling (I even semi-froze some), flavoring, chasing with other fluids and straws. The last glass didn't stay down long and I was dreading the next round. After the choking down the 1st 8 ounces of the second dose my gag reflexes kicked in full force and there was no way I could get more down. Luckily the first round did it's job very well without undue discomfort and the doctor didn't indicate any problems with performing the procedure.

I also would like to speak to the person(s) who devised this medication in order to determine why they feel the need to make the volume you have to drink so high. If they just want to ensure you get enough fluids, I am a 'big girl' and can be trusted to drink the prescribed amount of liquids, as long as they aren't so vile as to make it impossible. If this medication is the only option my doctor will permit the next time around, I will mix it into the smallest amount of liquid possible, add lime or lemon juice concentrate and do it in 'shots' followed by glasses of water to make up the volume difference.

Thanks again to everyone for posting their ideas, suggestions and sharing their experiences. It really helped me get through the whole ordeal much easier!! :D

Return to “Colon Talk - Colon cancer (colorectal cancer) support forum”