Moviprep - colonoscopy prep

Please feel free to read, share your thoughts, your stories and connect with others!
Magnolia

Re: Moviprep - colonoscopy prep

Postby Magnolia » Sat Jun 14, 2008 8:22 pm

Let me tell you a little story. I did mag citrate and fleets phospha-soda the first time. 10 days later, for surgery, I did, Half-Lytely. Somehow my electrolyes got completely whacked out and I did some very scary EKG stuff (V-tach for those of who know what that is) in the recovery room. I'm a bit prone to arrythmias anyway, so I have to be more careful than other folks. We watch my lytes closely now. I did MoviPrep for the last one and I'm doing it again for this one. I start clear liquids tomorrow for 2 days and do the flush Monday evening. Scope on Tuesday. Fun, fun, fun.
Dx Stage IIIC CC 3/10/06
Surgery 3/20/06
Folfox 4/06 - 10/06
Avastin 4/06 - 4/07
NED!

http://www.CoverYourButt.org
Healthcare is a right, not a privilege.

dlk

Re: pico salax

Postby dlk » Sun Jun 22, 2008 9:57 am

[quote=I took Pico Salax 1.5 hours ago and nothing is happening. When does it start to work? "Guest"]Have used something here (Canada) called Pico Salax which IMHO is not that bad. compared notes with Bro-in-law who had CRC 3 yr ago and lots of prep with PhosFlo type preps......Pico Salax wins big time !! cost about $25 here.

cheers
CRguy[/quote]
[quote][/quote]

CRguy

Postby CRguy » Sun Jun 22, 2008 11:05 am

Right......aboooouuuut...NOW !

seriously, though there are different ways to use it. I did the clear fluids only with no foods option, and the 8 am 4 pm protocol worked well.

Here's wishing you a good result !

Cheers
CRguy
Caregiver x 4
Stage IV A rectal cancer/lung met
17 Year survivor
my life is an ongoing totally randomized UNcontrolled experiment with N=1 !
Review of my Journey so far

morgana

Postby morgana » Tue Jun 24, 2008 4:32 pm

Has anyone tried Fleet Phospho Soda. I have used that prep for 3 colonoscopies and it works. I can't decide between that and Moviprep and Osmoprep for my Sept. procedure. I was told the pills for osmoprep are large and there are a lot of them. I was told patients tolerated the moviprep well. Easy for them to say. The only thing I can say is drink lots of water and stay hydrated. I was dehydrated last time and it took forever for them to get a needle in my vein.

I guess anything would be better than go lytely, etc.

Good luck to everyone out there. The prep is the worse part.

wwroam
Facebook Username: Wayne Whitaker

Postby wwroam » Tue Jun 24, 2008 9:44 pm

The prep for my first colonoscopy used a product Pico Prep ( similar to Psalax). My last one the surgeon threw everything at me. stool softeners, mag citrate, and 3 litres of 'stuff" to drink. When I told the interviewing nurse at the hospital, she was so pleased telling me that they'll get some beautiful images. They were . Clean as a whistle. The downside, i still had the runs 2 weeks later ( then overnight, situation normal). I believe I could have had a respectable colonoscopy any day in that fortnight.
Stage 3a DX 25/06/07
Folfox complete 30/01/08
7 years NED
Port scheduled for removal 8/02/10 Gone.
PSA .54 No prostate problems
Diagnosed Type 2 Diabetic
SO diagnosed CC Stage IV Liver Mets 23/03/15

mollyB

Postby mollyB » Mon Jul 14, 2008 5:41 pm

I'm in the process of finishing my 2nd bottle of MoviPrep. Here's what really helped me: GUM!! Hold the gum under the tongue while drinking through a straw and then chew. Gets rid of the taste very quickly!! Good Luck!!

Magnolia

Postby Magnolia » Mon Jul 14, 2008 10:15 pm

I did Fleets Phospha Soda the first time. Half Lytely the second time. Movie Prep the next two times. Movie Prep is not all that bad, actually. Not a yummy taste, but I managed. Not as bad as CT contrast. I just got it nice and cold and gulped it down. The more unpleasant part was the effect. Repeated explosions and a sore butt just aren't nice. Even remembering to use a barrier cream didn't completely protect from all those flying digestive juices. Has anyone read Dave Barry's description of his colonoscopy prep? I think it's on the board somewhere. Very, very funny! He says he wished the toilet had seat belts. LOL!! He compared the effect to a space shuttle launch. Sounds about right.
Dx Stage IIIC CC 3/10/06
Surgery 3/20/06
Folfox 4/06 - 10/06
Avastin 4/06 - 4/07
NED!

Joanne 814
Facebook Username: Joanne Flynn Hoerrner

Postby Joanne 814 » Tue Jul 15, 2008 5:46 am

Take the pills! I get sick on all the prep liquids, I have a high gag factor with liquids I do not like. The pills are many, but worth the prep. I wasn't sick from them.

Joanne
Dx: Nov 07 @ age 43
Stage IIIC, RCa
Colon Resection: Nov 07, 4 of 27 LN
Chemo/Radiation: 28 treatments w/constant 5FU (Jan-Feb 08)
Chemo: Folfox, 12 cycles (Mar-Aug 08) DONE 8-8-08
CT Scan 1-09 NED

justsing

Postby justsing » Tue Jul 15, 2008 6:35 am

My daughter has Crohn's Disease and she has to have a colonoscopy next month. I just got the prep instructions in the mail, and they don't use Fleet anymore! I called her doc and he said that they are moving away from the Fleet and Go-Lytely because of kidney and electrolyte issues. So here is the new prep system. They call it Dulcolax and Miralax:

Day before:

light breakfast
2 dulcolax

Mix up 64 oz of miralax and drink 8 oz every 10-15 minutes until it's gone.

Clear liquids for the rest of the day

2 dulcolax in the evening

This is what I'll be trying next time!!!
justsing, 46
Stage IV
colon resection 12/07
Liver resection 04/08
Phase I vaccine trial
liver, lung LN mets
tried Oxi, Iri and Avastin
now trying new chemo combos then sir spheres
College prof in theatre & voice
2 girls 18 & 14, one son 10

Magnolia

Postby Magnolia » Tue Jul 15, 2008 6:55 pm

Yup! I did the Fleet thing, followed 10 days later by HalfLytely as my surgical prep. My electrolyes were completely screwed up and I had some nasty arrythmias after surgery. Not doing THAT again!
Dx Stage IIIC CC 3/10/06
Surgery 3/20/06
Folfox 4/06 - 10/06
Avastin 4/06 - 4/07
NED!

Joanie

Postby Joanie » Thu Jul 31, 2008 12:31 pm

I had a colonoscopy at age 44 (12 years ago) due to family history - mom was diagnosed with colon cancer at 60, (lived to 85) her dad died from colon cancer at age 75 - so needless to say I had to have one done before 50. Anyway, 12 years have passed and I KNOW I am way overdue BUT, because of the prep the first time with Fleet, I swore I would never do it again. I experienced horrible nausea and literally was on the toilet 30 times from 4 pm to 8 am not to mention my butt being a bit sore. At my consult this morning, the doctor prescribed Moviprep. I am so freaked out by reading some of your experiences with it that I am considering canceling my colonoscopy which, of course, would be stupid. I have a fear of vomiting (there is some kind of name for this phobia) and am wondering if anyone has indeed vomited with Moviprep. Maybe I should take the pills instead? Would really appreciate any input. Thanks!

Magnolia

Postby Magnolia » Fri Aug 01, 2008 12:12 pm

I vomitted with halflytely, but I was taking antibiotics with it, as part of my surgical prep, and antibiotics usually do that to me. Honestly, I handled chemo better than I handle some antibiotics. The combination of halflytely and the antibiotics was WAY too much. Fortunately, I held it all down long enough for it to do it's job. (about two hours after the dose. Never had that problem with Movie Prep. It's a LOT less nasty than halflytely.
Dx Stage IIIC CC 3/10/06
Surgery 3/20/06
Folfox 4/06 - 10/06
Avastin 4/06 - 4/07
NED!

PGLGreg

Postby PGLGreg » Fri Aug 01, 2008 2:53 pm

Joanie wrote: Maybe I should take the pills instead? Would really appreciate any input.

I like pills better. For my last colonoscopy I took Osmoprep. Not very pleasant, but not too bad if you don't mind taking pills all evening.
Greg
stage 2a rectal cancer 11/05 at age 63
LAR 12/05 with adjuvant radiation+5FU,leucovorin 1-2/06
NED for 12 years, cured

ASTEPHENS33

Postby ASTEPHENS33 » Fri Aug 01, 2008 7:43 pm

Time for another colonoscopy for me and the doctor prescribed Moviprep again. (I get one yearly as survellience due to having a genetic mutation.) He said he doesn't like the pills, as they didn't clean people out as well. I heard they sometimes leave a white residual. He used to use Phosomax, but said they've found there can be kidney damage. Don't know if it is true or not. Sometimes I think the doctors get used to something and figure why not stick with it. If anyone has any study info on this, it would be appreciated.

As suggested in a previous post, I heard that gum - especially - clove gum worked really well. I couldn't find that flavor, but plan to try something like spearmint. Anyone with experience with gum, also please post on it.

I did get bad nausea from using Moviprep before and this time I was given anti-nausea medication. We'll see if that works. Thanks to everyone who has posted and given suggestions/information on this.

Terry
Facebook Username: Terry Minor

Postby Terry » Fri Aug 01, 2008 9:19 pm

I had the fleets phos. the first time. DON'T mix it with anything you like cuz you won't like it after that! :shock:
I used white soda and I'll never drink it again. The morning of the colonoscopy I had to do another bottle and I mixed it with about an inch of water and that was at least less. Before my surgery I had the halflytle and thought that would taste better (because it's flavored). I could barely get half the halflytle down. It may have been because they had me on all kinds of antibiotics but I puked my guts out. Anyway, it cleaned me out enough to get the surgery.

I don't want to drink either again. I'm hoping for the pills next time (Sept. or Oct.) :x
DX 7/3/07
Chemo, radiation, 20 mo. chemo, IMRT, cyberknife, 6/11 lobectomy.
1/16 resection perm. colostomy intraop. rad.
PET 2/12 nose, thyroid, liver, lngs
Folfox 3/12
Lord I know You'll keep me here until
you know I cannot suffer any longer!

Return to “Colon Talk - Colon cancer (colorectal cancer) support forum”