Moviprep - colonoscopy prep

Please feel free to read, share your thoughts, your stories and connect with others!
larksfield

Re: Moviprep - colonoscopy prep

Postby larksfield » Thu Sep 24, 2009 3:15 pm

Due to have my another colonoscopy on the 12th October for survelance purposes. The nurse told me Moviprep was new to Dorset. And said it was much better than any other preparations. I have tried Fleet which i cant keep down, cant remember the name of the others that i have tried. I found them all discusting over the years and cant stand the thought of even taking it, i know i will be sick. Last time i took the Fleet i sicked it up after ten minutes as i did the time before. I had to go for colonic irrigation at the last minute which cost £60. I am tempted to do this again if i cant keep the liquid down. Even the thought of it now is making feel bad. Has anybody else gone down the route of colonic irrigaton.

knukscrim

Postby knukscrim » Thu Sep 24, 2009 3:30 pm

I am picking up my Moviprep in a few minutes. I must say I am a little aprehensive after reading all of these posts! I am a 50 year old male and am employed at the Mayo Clinic. My Doctor has been telling me for years that I must have this done, so I guess I'll go through with it. I'll try the great advice about chilling the stuff and using a straw far back in my throat, and we'll see what happens. Thanks for all of the advice from those that have had the procedure. You are all true "Bowel Pioneers"!! :lol:

garbovatwin

Postby garbovatwin » Thu Sep 24, 2009 3:51 pm

This time they have me back on mag citrate and ducolax pills and two enemas in the morning before I head over to the hospital.

HOW SICK IS THIS?

On my way in to start this prep, when I picked up the mail, the weekly Jewel/Osco Grocery sale flier was in the mailbox, and I have been leafing through it as I drop about 8 pounds today with this prep. Pages and pages of food, glorious food. Today this prep has me feeling bloated, nauseated and I am freezing my ass off, (no pun intended).

http://jewelosco.shoplocal.com/jewelosc ... o_homepage

(just love the way the page turns on the website version don't you?)

jamiana
OUR world is worth saving
Question everything. Become your own Advocate.
When we find a cure for one cancer it will lead to a cure for ALL cancer
Crohn's Colitis
Rectal Mucosa Resection - Oct 2010
Rectal Surgery - Sep 2011
Stroke Sep 2012

garbovatwin

Postby garbovatwin » Thu Sep 24, 2009 4:33 pm

larksfield wrote:Due to have my another colonoscopy on the 12th October for survelance purposes. The nurse told me Moviprep was new to Dorset. And said it was much better than any other preparations. I have tried Fleet which i cant keep down, cant remember the name of the others that i have tried. I found them all discusting over the years and cant stand the thought of even taking it, i know i will be sick. Last time i took the Fleet i sicked it up after ten minutes as i did the time before. I had to go for colonic irrigation at the last minute which cost £60. I am tempted to do this again if i cant keep the liquid down. Even the thought of it now is making feel bad. Has anybody else gone down the route of colonic irrigaton.

It REALLY helps with that salty tasting swill if you just suck it down using a straw, then chase it immediately with cool water.

jA
OUR world is worth saving
Question everything. Become your own Advocate.
When we find a cure for one cancer it will lead to a cure for ALL cancer
Crohn's Colitis
Rectal Mucosa Resection - Oct 2010
Rectal Surgery - Sep 2011
Stroke Sep 2012

BobH

Postby BobH » Sun Sep 27, 2009 2:15 pm

I've had a custom prep put together by my Gastroenterologist, all OTC, in preparation for colonoscopy, that wasn't nasty going down at all-
Bisacodyl 10 tablets spread through the morning and two at night
Magnesium Citrate 10 oz
Miralax 238 g in 72 oz water

Nothing like the Halflytely for the surgical prep, 2 weeks later. Ugh, that was a gag and a half.
I never want to have pineapple flavoring again. :o

lilbatz

Postby lilbatz » Sun Sep 27, 2009 9:21 pm

Best advice from this board I received about MoviPrep is CHILL IT. Use a big straw and chug it down like you are a a frat party. My daughter would chant chug mommy chug. At least that kept me from feeling sorry for myself.

November for my next colonscopy. Blah..I can still smell that lemony nastiness from here.

Nan

MARE

Postby MARE » Sun Sep 27, 2009 10:47 pm

I mentioned a couple of days ago that Pico Salex is still the best prep ever...everyone I know who has used it is so relieved not to have to gag the stuff down or worry about hurling it back out. Ask your Internist or Dr. to research it if you have never heard of it before. I have been getting colonoscopies since 1999 and trust me, this one is the best
M

jane
Facebook Username: sian leal

Postby jane » Mon Sep 28, 2009 6:26 am

MARE,

I absolutely agree. I'm in Australia. I had to use fleet for my first 3 colonoscopies/surgery -----Yuck,yuck,yuck. I discovered "picolax" ( presume "picosalax" is same). It is just like flat lemonade. My surgeon now uses it too. Why, why, why, would anyone use anything else??? I'm getting fed up with hearing that any other product is required! This is not unpleasant, 2 doses are USUALLY enough........ Perhaps we need to campaign here to get rid of the awful salty preps, multiple tablets etc,etc.

Jane
Rectal tumour Nov 2005 T3 N1 M0 age 42, Mum of 4.
Chemo/radiotherapy, 5FU via pump
Surgery (straight anastamosis), TME Feb 2006
Finished 5FU, Leucovorin July 2006
NED since!
I want to die of old age!

weave

Postby weave » Mon Sep 28, 2009 7:43 pm

Wow, I read all of these posts. Good stuff. I just drank my first batch of MoviPrep for my colonoscopy tomorrow morning. It wasn't that bad at all. I *did* chill it and drink it with a straw.

I've had one bowel movement since then, and I seem stable now. We'll see. It wasn't that much output, but the doc had me switch to a fiber-free diet 4 days ago, so I just ate mostly yogurt and Jello for past 4 days -- so maybe that helped a bit. Then again, maybe the worst is yet to come!

The second dose at 3am this morning is going to suck though. I'm not supposed to drink any other fluids with that one. :-(

weave

Postby weave » Tue Sep 29, 2009 10:27 am

Just a follow-up, the second dose of MoviPrep was a lot harder to get down than the first. I ended up not being about to do the last 4 ounces. I think a lot of that was mental -- so close and all. But I did get cleaned out OK.

The procedure was a breeze, but they found a polyp and removed it. I'll find out in about 10 days the status of that.

Twinkle

Postby Twinkle » Wed Sep 30, 2009 11:56 am

I am so excited to be taking MoviPrep. I have to get the big C Friday. Well I am a Performance Artist in an all Male review and I will be doing my MoviPrep as an onstage side show Thursday night. I am so excited I could just explode but that will have to wait until tomorrow. Toodles tell yah all about it later.

soupy

Postby soupy » Thu Oct 01, 2009 2:44 am

Thanks for your posts peep. I took my first dose of Moviprep almost 8 hours ago, and no bowel movement yet, so I am moving up my second dose to right now (instead of 4 hours from now). I am usually constipated and am worried that that is why I am not going. Your second post encouraged me. I don't think I'll get much sleep tonight though....

Pfauxmeh

Postby Pfauxmeh » Sun Oct 04, 2009 7:43 am

I don't have any pre-existing conditions, and I am seriouly crying from reading these posts about Moviprep for my colonoscopy Monday. I'm deathly afraid of vomiting, and there were so few people who didn't complain of it. Although I've heard that if you're a little...um...older with certain conditions, it may be the cause of that. If you've been vomiting, could you tell me if it was just because of the taste or your condition or the medicine itself?

I'm 19, but I haven't even been diagnosed with anything yet. They think I could have an ulcer or Chron's. I got some Crystal Light lemonade to mix into the liquid, but I don't know if that's going to help or not.

PLEASE help me!

I'm so scared. :s

MARE

Postby MARE » Sun Oct 04, 2009 12:18 pm

Pfauxmeh
You may not find the prep medicine so terrible...depends what they give you. I have been getting colonoscopies since 1999...starting out every 6 months then every year, and now every 2 years. I have drank so many of those concoctions I can't count them (once 4 x in a month). My first colonoscopy was not bad. I left the hospital and went out to dinner immediately. It just seemed each time I did it the medicine was harder to keep down . However, my sister has had it twice and doesn't think it's all that bad, and I know others who don't know what I'm talking about. I saw Katie Couric drinking it when she had a colonoscopy live on TV and she didn't think it was so terrible (although she WAS holding her nose. She had one of those pre-mixed gallon jugs which I think are worse.
Since my Dr. started using Pico Salex I have had no problem...tastes like tang. Before he told me to add a bit of ginger ale or cranberry juice to help mask the taste. You probably won't find it near as bad if you mix it with something.
The procedure itself wasn't too bad. The whole thing is not something one looks forward to, but believe me, I have had a lot worse experiences. You will do fine....I wish you luck.
M

Pfauxmeh

Postby Pfauxmeh » Sun Oct 04, 2009 3:44 pm

Thanks for the advice. I'm just really scared, that's all. First big procedure...

I hope my Crystal Light method works.

Return to “Colon Talk - Colon cancer (colorectal cancer) support forum”