Moviprep - colonoscopy prep

Please feel free to read, share your thoughts, your stories and connect with others!
aussielones

Re: Moviprep - colonoscopy prep

Postby aussielones » Tue Apr 05, 2011 6:38 am

Gah....Moviprep. I just had a flashback to my prep - I remember wishing that the toilet had a seat belt.

Movie - 'The Fast and The Furious'!!
31y/o
Dx 24/9/10
Cecum, liver, LN, lungs
Sg IV C.C inoperable
Folfiri, Xeloda ,FOLFOX. More FOLFIRI
Regorafinib nearly killed me. But I'm still alive! LOVE BEATS CANCER

ASTEPHENS33

Postby ASTEPHENS33 » Wed Apr 06, 2011 5:14 pm

I need to have a colonoscopy every year. I spoke with my GI, who normally uses the Moviprep, and because I go in so often, we spoke and he said I could do the pills or whatever I have a preference for. Any experience on what is the easiest? The pills - although there are alot of them - sound easiest because you can swallow and not taste, but would appreciate your experiences.

dianne052506

Postby dianne052506 » Wed Apr 06, 2011 7:08 pm

I'll take the pills (Osmoprep) anytime over liquids. However, absolutely, DO NOT SKIMP on the required water (or other liquid) to get them down. I know there are some issues with kidneys problems, so I actually try to drink even more water than required. I still think all the prep instructions are written for "normal" people, not us semi-colons. The stuff works very well for me, and everything is clear early in the prep procedure.
Good luck.
Dianne
May 06 Stage IV CC: liver,ovarian mets
Oct 07 inoperable lung mets
Feb 08 - Apr'12 chemo
allergic to oxaliplatin, irinotecan
Aug '12-Feb'14 Genentech PD-L1/Avastin trial
Mar '14 -radiation to largest lung nodule
still recovering; looking at trials again

ASTEPHENS33

Postby ASTEPHENS33 » Wed Apr 06, 2011 10:35 pm

Diane - thanks for the input. When you do the pills, if you have your colonoscopy in the afternoon, do you split the dosage - i.e., the number of pills you take - between evening and the next morning, like with the liquid prep?

dianne052506

Postby dianne052506 » Wed Apr 06, 2011 10:57 pm

As much as I prefer Osmoprep to any other method, the whole thing is still an experience I do my best to forget from one time to the next. My colonoscopies are usually around 9 in the morning. It is a total of 32 pills. To the best of my memory, the first 20 are grouped together, 4 every 20 minutes (I think), starting around noon. Then 4 hours later, the last 12, again 4 every 20 minutes.

I repeat, this is approximate. I really do try to block the whole thing. I've got a tremendous gag reflex and have trouble with lots of stuff, from the liquid prep for a colonoscopy to now even the contrast for a CT scan. Near the end, I do start having a little trouble even with the pills, and end up taking a Zofran for nausea before I finish them.
May 06 Stage IV CC: liver,ovarian mets
Oct 07 inoperable lung mets
Feb 08 - Apr'12 chemo
allergic to oxaliplatin, irinotecan
Aug '12-Feb'14 Genentech PD-L1/Avastin trial
Mar '14 -radiation to largest lung nodule
still recovering; looking at trials again

lonely libra

Postby lonely libra » Thu Apr 07, 2011 3:52 am

The best thing to do that I find works like magic in letting you not taste the horrible thing, is to have the juice of a lemon wedge prepared next to you. Once you drink the prep and before you let yourself taste it, just take the lemon juice directly. It will remove any nasty taste or feeling.

blueskye

Postby blueskye » Wed Apr 13, 2011 12:25 am

This may help the taste a little. It has taken nearly 4 hours to finish 4.5 of my 8 cups of Moviprep and I have just discovered something that makes it tolerable, sorta. My saviour - apple juice concentrate. I've tried everything: cold, straw, ginger ale, 7up, gatorade, coffee candy, mint, water, lemon, ugh. Was sitting here on the toity (as Grandpa used to say) and had a brain storm. Fortunately I had some concentrate, added it to the prep, swallowed a bunch and chased with 7up before the lemon pledge hit. Seems to be working (still sucks but slightly less so). Sigh. Best wishes to you all and many thanks for all the tips and stories.

Maxie

Postby Maxie » Fri Apr 22, 2011 12:59 pm

Moviprep - had my 4th colonoscopy this week. The Rx cost me $58 and I had to put the second liter down the toilet. The first liter went down pretty good, but made me nauseous during the night, so sat up most of the night reguritating it. I got a glass down the next morning (4:00 AM), but then started vomiting so quit the prep. I went for the colonoscopy anyway, hoping that I was cleaned out enough to have the test, as I did not want to repeat the prep again in the near future. The doctor was able to do the screening, but I will ask for another prep next time. The nurse told me that they had other patients who did not tolerate Moviprep.

Firmbeliever65

Postby Firmbeliever65 » Thu Apr 28, 2011 7:24 pm

I have completed the 1st prep and realized the instructions say to use warm water to disolve. I use cold. Does that matter? It is working within 1 hour. I guess that is good.

StephL

Postby StephL » Sat Apr 30, 2011 6:21 am

Blueskye and Lonely Libra - thank you for your suggestions regarding tempering the Golytely taste! I do my prep tomorrow and will definitely try both. :)

Stephanie

railogan

Postby railogan » Wed May 25, 2011 10:02 pm

This is my 4th colonoscopy I have Ulcerative Colitis. I usually use the Trilyte for the prep but using MoviePrep this time was a lil better, less intimidating with the big bottle Trilyte uses. The difference is I used Lemon Powerade as my fluid in addition to drinking water...It was very sweet but tolerable than if adding water. I only had some chicken broth today and did not eat last nite, which is probably not good, but wanted to not have as much to have to come out to get clear. I drank 24 oz of the 2nd liter, which I could have really only drank 8-16 oz and been good. The colonoscopy is never a problem. Its the prep...It makes me really irritated.....and I am HUNGRY as a MUTHAFATHA!!! lol.....I will be eating at a BUFFET tomorrow after the procedure....

ShellyBee

Postby ShellyBee » Thu May 26, 2011 10:55 pm

This will be my first colonoscopy tomorow. I thought the Moviprep was horrid. It was artificial-super-sweet. I did find that taking a swig of apple juice between batches immediately cut the taste. I also had to take the pills with each batch which were just as bad. I had trouble swallowing them with the moviprep solution so I drank that first and then took the pills with apple juice. (They left a powdery residue on my tongue that tasted as bad as the moviprep. ). Then I brushed my teeth/tongue after eatch batch. And repeat. It got me through it. LOL...I had to take my prep center into the bathroom with me because I was getting results about half-way through drinking the prep and couldn't stay off the toilet.

I hadn't read the suggestions before about the lemon wedge or I'd have tried that as well but I survived with the juice.

pschmid4

Postby pschmid4 » Sun Jun 05, 2011 5:04 pm

This is my first colonoscopy tomorrow. MoviPrep is terrible! It's much worse than the glucose preps during pregnancy!

Here's how I got through it.

1.Poor the prep over ice and drink with a straw. Because it's all types of sodium content, place the straw back as far as you can tolerate. The prep will miss most of the taste buds that taste salty items.

2.Chase each 8 oz prep drink with blue Powerade...which is part of the clear liquid diet.

3.Occupy yourself with tv, computer or a book while drinking to distract your mind.

I have one more drink to go before prep one is finished.

Madmancd

Postby Madmancd » Tue Jun 14, 2011 9:15 pm

I used moviprep yesterday for my colonoscopy today and it was a nightmare. I started drinking it per the directions at 4:00 pm and completed the first liter within an hour. I did not chill it prior to ingesting and, I did not find the taste to be to bad. I chased it with 16 oz of water per the instructions and waited another 30 minutes for something to happen. After 35 minutes all hell broke loose. I was running to the restroom every ten minutes with cannon type liquid explosions. I had not eaten any solid food for the previous 36 hours so I think I was already on my way to a clean colon. These explosions continued while consuming part of the second liter ( I stopped after consuming 3/4 of the second liter ). This continued throughout the night. I broke out into cold sweats and my blood pressure ran up so high I thought I was going to need to go to the ER. Needless to say I did not sleep one minute through the night with the last visit to the porcelain crown at 6:00 am.

The colonoscopy was completed today and the Dr. said I was squeaky clean. This is my first procedure so I did not know what to expect. I know each persons body is different but I thought I would share my experience for those using this product.

misery1

Postby misery1 » Mon Jun 20, 2011 9:24 pm

...Moviprep has GOT to be THE MOST VILE connoction I have ever had to swallow... :x

Return to “Colon Talk - Colon cancer (colorectal cancer) support forum”