Moviprep - colonoscopy prep

Please feel free to read, share your thoughts, your stories and connect with others!
CR111

Re: Moviprep - colonoscopy prep

Postby CR111 » Wed Sep 07, 2011 11:07 pm

Just finished the moviprep. Have to say the straw trick worked the best. I am 54 years old and having my first colonoscopy! Saw what I thought was blood in my stool this morning . Went to the doctor and he decided to schedule a procedure for tomorrow. Remembered after leaving his office that I had eaten beets! Has anyone ever heard of that causing your stool to look like it had blood in it? Any way the moviprep when chilled and drank with a straw really proved easy to take! One more piece of advice, keep your back area greased. Do it before you really need too! This will save you a real pain In the behind!

EZnTN

Postby EZnTN » Sun Sep 11, 2011 7:55 pm

I'm 60 & scheduled for my 3rd colonoscopy in 13 months in the morning.
Dirverticulitus prompted the first one a few weeks before they removed the sigmoid section of my colon last of August 2010.
Internal plumbing problems have been causing more than minor problems the last two months, GI Doc is determined to get to the bottom of this issue.
I've done magnesium citrate & Dulcolax, straight Dulcolax and now the MoviPrep cleansing processes.
Although the MoviPrep is less than palatable, the cramping is not nearly as intense as I've experienced with MagCitrate &/or Dulcolax.
The taste is no where as bad as MagCitrate.
Straight water in the mix. Keep it cold.
First bottle down at between 6 & 7 PM.
I'll sleep without worry of wet flatulence, and down the 2nd bottle early in the AM.
I would recommend this if you need to go thru the process.
Good luck & a hopefully a good report.

firstcolonoscopy

Postby firstcolonoscopy » Thu Sep 22, 2011 11:39 pm

I'm having my first one tomorrow. I did the following prep:
9/21 -
coffee for breakfast with toast
lunch and dinner: steamed white rice
2.5 liters of water, 1 liter of coconut water (clear liquid inside a green coconut - confirmed with my DR)

9/22
coffee and white rice for breakfast, 2.5 liters of water during the day
white rice for lunch at 11:30am - last bite of food!
12 ounces of ginger ale
orange jello around 3pm

Started movie prep at 5:05pm. chilled it for a few hours beforehand. It was fine. I sucked on a fresh lemon in between doses. Drank 16 ounces of coconut water (natural electrolytes). Had some more orange jello. :D

Was in the bathroom from 6:05pm - 8:15pm and took a few breaks to drink 1 more liter of coconut water. Had a total of 7 BM's and the last 5 were all water and the last three were very light yellow. It wasn't that bad at all. No cramping or other symptoms. Drank 12 ounces of warm tea around 9pm. :D

Baby wipes and vaseline were great. Bought veggie broth but it's not terribly clear so I'm not going to risk it :(

Now, 1 more liter of movie prep in the morning. My procedure is right after lunch. Hope I am all clear!!! :roll:

CaliforniaFirstTimer

Postby CaliforniaFirstTimer » Fri Sep 30, 2011 7:36 am

Thank you to everyone who posted something. I am still very young (at least I like to think so) and have to go in for my first colonoscopy. I had to take MoviPrep and it was hard for me. After that first small bit, I did not want anymore. I tried the different techniques mentioned in this thread and it did help. What really helped for me was to also sniff Tabasco sauce right before and right after.

I have completed the first batch, and this morning I need to finish the second. Half way there for today already. And then later I find out what really is wrong with me (other than I do not like this prep thing). Sorry to drum up an old thread, but this one really helped me.

abs04

Postby abs04 » Tue Oct 04, 2011 11:49 am

I'm 26 and getting my first colonoscopy in 2 weeks. After reading some of the comments...I'm officially dreading drinking this stuff :( And I thought my only real concern was the procedure itself!

I saw the tip about drinking through a straw. If anyone has other suggestions, please fill me in!

BAN

Postby BAN » Tue Oct 25, 2011 9:35 pm

Hello,

I am having my first colonoscopy after having my sigmoid colon removed during an emergency surgery. Not only did the GI prescribe MoviPrep, but I also get to take Dulcolax as well. Can't wait to see what that does combined with the MoviPrep...

Here's my technique (since I need to go through this again when the colon is reattached).

A) MoviPrep= cold / over ice;
B) Drink with a straw
C) Before drinking add a little soda water (my preference lime) as a floater; DO NOT Mix

Power down and keep drinking as quickly as possible. The soda will kick in at the end and helps you to finish. Once you start don't stop keep drinking.

Cheers, -bn-

CRguy

Postby CRguy » Tue Oct 25, 2011 10:06 pm

Since this topic has come "up" yet again for the n'th time since I joined in Feb 2008............
you folks simply gotta get your docs, oncs, pharmacists, insurance companies and legislators to look into :
Pico Salax.

My theory is simple : if the buttheads who prescribe this other stuff, ever had to DO IT....you would already be using Pico Salax !!!!! :mrgreen:
No I don't have shares in the company, but have prepped and cleansed with the best of them...
pico,
Pico,
PICO........... YEAH !

I hear it is coming to the USA.
Good news because the rest of the English speaking world already uses it....for quite a while now.
Caregiver x 4
Stage IV A rectal cancer/lung met
17 Year survivor
my life is an ongoing totally randomized UNcontrolled experiment with N=1 !
Review of my Journey so far

Guinevere

Postby Guinevere » Wed Oct 26, 2011 9:32 am

I had to take HalfLytely and a cousin suggested not only using a straw to drink the cold liquid but also have a lemonhead (lemon drop) candy tucked into each cheek. It really helped! I was pretty nauseous by the last gulp but I was able to keep it down and now have a lemonhead addiction. :mrgreen:
Hrt atk - Feb 11
CRC4 DX - Apr 11
APR liver rsct, procto - Jul 11
Folfox/Avastin - Sep 11
Xeliri - Nov 11
Iritux - Jun 12
Break - Jan - Mar 13
Iritux - Mar 13
Stivarga - Aug 13
Folfiri - Oct 13
Exhausted treatment options - May 14

nicola smith

Postby nicola smith » Wed Oct 26, 2011 9:38 am

CR111 wrote:Just finished the moviprep. Have to say the straw trick worked the best. I am 54 years old and having my first colonoscopy! Saw what I thought was blood in my stool this morning . Went to the doctor and he decided to schedule a procedure for tomorrow. Remembered after leaving his office that I had eaten beets! Has anyone ever heard of that causing your stool to look like it had blood in it?

Beets - yeah, absolutely. Asparagus and blueberries do neat stuff too. :roll:
UC history
11/09: Dx, CEA 2.9
02/10: colectomy, temp ileo; pT3N1Mx
10/10: 12 Folfox6
03/11: jpouch
2010/11/12/13/14: 6 PET and/or CT's - NED
quarterly 03/2010- 03/2015: CEA range 0.8-1.3
03/2015: discharged to GP :D

Postby Guest » Sat Nov 05, 2011 12:59 pm

i ate very lightly 2 days ahead of the colonoscopy, yogurt, broth, eggs, no solids The preparation for the procedure was easier than expected.I recommend chilling the moviprep mixturein the morning. i started at 5 PM, 8 ounces every 15 min, sipped it from a small bottle with a straw very fast. after 4 times at 8 ounces each every 15 min, I was done. Put the straw far into your mouth and sip as much as you can quickly, you don't taste it much and it is not a big deal. After about an hour of finishing this 32 oz. I was going to the bathroom mostly a liquid movement. I went quite a few times, expelling large liquid quantities. make sure to have baby wipes and some lubricant, because your anus gets sore. After an hour I was emptied and done with the bathroom. An hour and 1/2 later at 7 Pm I started the 2nd 32 oz dose with the same sipping procedure. The bowel movements started again after I finished with a furry. No big deal, you have to get empty. I was done after about 3 hrs. So you spent a lot of time on the toilet and the liquid comes out fast. Next day, big COLONOSCOPY day!. They have a vein open, to be able to administer medicines. I was taken into the room, told to turn on my left side. The administer medicines to relax and sedate you and start the colonoscopy immediatly. i can say that I felt close to nothing, a bit of pressure, like when you have to fart. It was over in 15 min, I was done and I don't have to worry, my colon is great! It was easy, more worry for nothing. I lost 3 ponds doing it! YEAH!

speakle

Postby speakle » Tue Nov 22, 2011 11:10 am

Follow-up to my previous post: Had another colonoscopy two weeks ago by my first GI Dr., who prescribed Lactalose after hearing about my experiences with MoviPrep with my second Dr. The Lactalose was much easier to get down, kind of like drinking Karo syrup. I drank my doses out of a shot glass, which helped. Admittedly Lactalose caused more cramping (not severe) and gas than the MoviPrep, but it was infinitely easier. My suggestion is that when you have to have a colonoscopy, shop around for Drs who are flexible in the prep they prescribe, and who are also very experienced in the colonoscopy procedure. Wish I had just stayed with this Dr for my second procedure. For those of you having your first colonoscopy: the prep is definitely easier than the procedure, which is truly just a nice sleep with a few interesting pictures after!!

GeterDone

Postby GeterDone » Mon Nov 28, 2011 11:09 pm

I'm 22... I'm sorry some of the people on here had a hard time with this stuff, but I had no problem at all. Done and gone. Taste is a little funky, but what do you expect? It's not gunna taste like honey, but it's sure not awful.

Grom

Postby Grom » Thu Dec 01, 2011 6:03 pm

MoviPrep is gross. I am having a hard time getting through the first part. I am now drinking it and taking some gatorade in between large gulps. So far it is better. I also have it on ice with a straw which helps. Compared to what my dad had to drink several years ago--this does seem to be better. He even said the taste was pretty gross though.

bluwinfam

Postby bluwinfam » Thu Dec 15, 2011 11:41 pm

I have a routine colonoscopy at 10:30 tomorrow.I have one every three years. This time I'm using movie prep ans my instructions were to take 1 liter at 7 p.m. and a second liter at 10. I had very hard time getting it down. It taste absolutely awful! I came up with the idea of using a straw and then read it as a suggestion on this blog. Based on other postings I've place the container in ice so that it stays as cold as possible. Then I take as big a straw full as I can and chase it with ginger ale. I try to imagine that I'm downing shots of bourbon and chasing it with ginger ale. That's made the last few cupfuls a bit easier to complete.

I am half-way through the second so obviously I'm running late. But, on the other hand, I'm not running at all. I had one major solid BM early on and a smaller one but not the explosive experience I've had in the past. I'm staying close to the bathroom because I expect there will be a tsunami at some point. Have other shad a delayed reaction like this? I'll be glad when it comes and I feel like I'm making progress.

I'm 58 and have had quite a few since I hit my forties because my dad has had polyps. I've had a few myself but for me the prep' has always been the worst part.

Gotta run. This might be it--I hope!

Surroundedbylove

Postby Surroundedbylove » Fri Dec 16, 2011 9:23 am

Ice can help with the taste factor but often a person gets really cold and it is hard to shake the "chills" - drinking a hot cup of chicken broth after each cup of MoviPrep works wonders. The salty broth is a better "chaser" after the MoviPrep than something sweet and also the warmth helps prevent the chills.
Surroundedbylove

Rectal Cancer @ 43, '08
Clinical: T3,N2a,MX (IIIB)
6 wks XELOX & radiation
LAR, colonic j-pouch, & temp ileo '09
Surgical: ypT3,ypN0,ypMX (0 of 20 nodes)
FOLFOX; XELOX
Ileo Takedown ‘09
LARS for 10 years before learning it is finally being studied
InterStim Sacral Nerve Neuromodulator 2019

Return to “Colon Talk - Colon cancer (colorectal cancer) support forum”