Moviprep - colonoscopy prep

Please feel free to read, share your thoughts, your stories and connect with others!
kims
Facebook Username: ksegers

Re: Moviprep - colonoscopy prep

Postby kims » Fri Dec 16, 2011 10:11 am

You may want to ask about prepping with magnesium citrate. My doctor recommended it when I knew I wouldn't be able to get down the Go-lytely or one of those solutions without vomiting. I started with 5 ducolax tablets and then I only had to drink 2 10 ounce bottles (one at 4:00 and one at around 8:30 pm). I had to follow each bottle with about 8 glasses of clear liquid. The taste wasn't that great, but there wasn't much of it to get down. It's also way cheaper than the pharmeceutical preps. It's around $2.00 per bottle. I've used it twice and never had a complaint about the prep quality.
47 YOA
11/08 stage 2 breast cancer
completed chemo 6/09
diagnosed 1/11 stage 3B CC
4 rounds FOLFOX followed by 6 rounds Xeloda
completed 9/11
Pet scan 10/11 - NED
CT Scan 1/12, 4/12; 11/12 - NED
7/13 - recurrence - 1cm lesion left lung; VATS 7/13

nursemom

Postby nursemom » Mon Dec 19, 2011 6:13 pm

try sucking on some fresh lime in between gulps of moviprep. Seems to counteract the salty taste. I am almost through the first liter... dreading the second...

idma

Postby idma » Tue Dec 20, 2011 11:10 pm

I have a colonoscopy scheduled on 12-23 and have to take moviprep. Ur comments gave me a mixed emotions I'm scared of the adverse effects I don't want to go but I need to I have a family history and a genetic disposition to cancer! 3 family members died at my current age (26) one was my dear brother

seventeen

Postby seventeen » Fri Dec 30, 2011 1:14 am

I'm 17 and have to have a colonoscopy. Thank god I didn't read anything about the prep until I completely finished it. My dad was diagnosed with rectal cancer in 96 and since I'm showing many of the same kind oof symptoms my doctor wants me to have this procedure done. My dad has used moviprep the last few years for his procedures and warned me it was awful. I didn't find it to be that bad. I drank it very chilled with lemonade powder mixed in, I absolutely hate lemonade but my dad said iit would help. After drinking the first 2 cups of the first litre it was pretty "clear" as others have described it in these posts. The worst part about the whole thing is the going to ththe restroom every 20 minutes. I found that drinking Gatorade after each cup cut down the taste (I drank frost glacier freeze Gatorade). But the prep isn't as bad as people.have mmade it seem, and I'm a seventeen year old. Other than going to the restroom every 20 minutes, I hated how my butt ffeels now from having to use the restroom so much since noon today, and not bbeing able to leave the house as I am on Christmas break and not wanting to be stuck at home.
If this has tto become a regular occurance I jow have more iideas to try, and even tell my ddad to try.

Summer

Postby Summer » Mon Jan 16, 2012 5:53 pm

Hello people! Thought I'd share my two cents worth about using Moviprep. I'm 28 and having a colonoscopy for the first time tomorrow. I'm very grateful to the 'use Vaseline!' and 'use babywipes!' tips and they worked a charm. However, I'd also like to say that I found Moviprep remarkably tolerable I could drink it at room temperature sipping from a mug. Things were moving by the third installment and in two hours I was passing clear liquid and done. No cramps, pain and only seven to eight visits to the toilet. I did skip breakfast today though my doctor said I could have something light and I'd been eating lightly over the weekend (today being Monday) so this may have helped. I did drink a lot of water and apple juice (at least three litres) so I know I'm not dehydrated.

Fasting is a bummer (a pun!). I'm watching a movie to help me pass the time (yet another!) and it seems like every character has to be eating something all the time. I do feel weak though and worn out. Hope this helps someone to not be too scared of Moviprep. Reading through the forum I realised that the reactions are very individual.

tedsdeb

Postby tedsdeb » Fri Feb 03, 2012 8:03 am

I'm 59 and having my 4th colonoscopy today. I have a history of Gluten intolerance and precancerous polyps. This is my first time using Moviprep and have found it to be comparable to the GoLytely I've had in the past, with maybe less cramping, but still not great. I squeezed lemon into it and just chugged it down and was able to keep it down. I drank a lot of sierra mist and water after each glass. This time my GI had me take 3 5mg. Dulcolax tablets the 2nd night before the procedure, 10 oz. of the over the counter magnesium citrate (?) laxative at 5pm yesterday, and one liter of the Moviprep starting at 8pm last night. I was in the bathroom pretty much all evening last night and til around 1am this morniing thinking that all of that was overkill. but, by then everything was clear. I decided to just take half of the second liter and got up at 5:30 this morning to do that. I have to be at the center at 1 pm today. This morning's prep pretty much kicked in right away and everything is clear, with some red on the toilet paper, which wasn't there last night and which I'm pretty sure is from hemmerhoids that are irritated from all of the bathroom time. Warm wet washcloths in between movements really helped but Desitin zinc oxide cream is what really saved me as it was like fire coming out!! Hopefully I am cleaned out enough. My regular diet is a little different in that I have been juice fasting for the last month. I think this, combined with not eating meat, helped me clear out a little faster. However, they were able to get me in sooner than I expected and I had consumed juices with beets, carrots, leafy greens, and red chard quite often up to a week before the prep. I'm hoping that hasn't stained my colon too much. I haven't read of anyone else having a raw food juicing diet on here so for those who do, please share, and I will let you all know what my results are also. This prep really is awful and llterally a pain in the ass, but the actual procedure is a breeze...just a nice little nap and you're done and don't remember a thing. The main thing is, don't let fear of the prep keep you from doing this. I'm sure I would have had Colon Cancer by now if I hadn't had my first colonoscopy when I turned 50. Wishing you all good luck and good results.

shellfry

Postby shellfry » Fri Feb 03, 2012 4:08 pm

This last colonoscopy was a new doc, hence a new prep. He had me get the Moviprep and I HATED it. I thought it weird to not even start it until 6 pm the night before, which left me in the bathroom until 11pm, then I had to get up at 4am to finish it, and my surgery was at 7. I seriously thought I was going to have to stop somewhere on the way and just hoping that I made it without a mess. I had to wear disposable diapers to bed and to the surgery clinic! What about the rule about nothing to drink after midnight? And it was expensive, my part was over $60.
In the past my other doc had me go to the pharmacy and get a couple of bottles of Magnesium Citrate, in the laxative isle. About $1 a bottle, you start it at noon and about 4pm the day before and by a reasonable bedtime you're completely done. A good nights's sleep, get up and in the shower and you're all ready to go for surgery.
So, I don't care what they tell me in the future, I'm doing this last one
Michelle
Stage III Colorectal Cancer
2 lymph nodes involved
Resection Sept 2010
5-FU, Leucovorin, Oxiplatin
radiation
chemo complete May 2011
radiation complete Dec 2010
Port removed June 2011
permanent colostomy 9/2012 due to
complications from radiation
April 2015 Total Pelvic Floor Reconstruction

tedsdeb

Postby tedsdeb » Sat Feb 04, 2012 3:07 pm

Hi,
I had my colonoscopy/endoscopy yesterday and all went well. As I posted before I only did half of the second liter of MoviPrep. I got up at 5:30 and drank half, was done by about noon for the most part, just in time to leave for my 1:00 arrival time. I still had some fluid coming out when I got there, but not much. I was really lightheaded from the massive dosage of laxatives over a 36 hr. time frame and don't agree with the doctor's need to do this. I was totally clean the night before and running clear but did the one half of the second dose just to be sure. One interesting thing. I took my blood pressure med, lisiniprole/Hctz the morning of and when I was being processed my blood pressure was really low. They also said I had a very pronounced heart murmur....which I've NEVER had in my life!!! I wonder if this wasn't brought on by the prep. I'd read it was somewhat dangerous to take the lisiniprole/Hctz with the prep, but was told to take it so I did. I will ask my primary doc about the heart murmur next month and hope it's gone by then. Drinking lots of water and gatorade to stay properly hydrated during the prep...for as long as you're allowed, is the best idea. The guy next to me couldn't get an easy IV start because he wasn't properly hydrated and his veins were rolling and collapsing....something to keep in mind....plus staying hydrated keeps that awful headache at bay. Other than that, all went well. They removed 3 small polyps. I have a history of precancerous polyps, but these were very small so I'm hoping they will be benign. I told the GI that I hated the prep and asked him WHY!!! He said the bottom line was to be super cleaned out and that you can miss the precancerous polyps unless you're totally clean. So, I guess in the future I will probably do what he says and maybe not take my blood pressure meds. If I'm running clear for a long time before the second round of Moviprep, I'll still only drink part of it. Hopefully my raw juicing diet will eliminate the need for blood pressure meds down the line anyway. I did wake up very alert, which was new and they attributed it to my raw food diet going in.....maybe. It's a super good way to eat for a healthy colon, and makes you feel like a new person all around, so I would recommend juicing fruits and veggies to anyone. Today I'm a little sore, but none the worse for wear. It's not a pleasant prep at all but the procedure itself is a breeze so don't worry to those who are new at this. Just hunker down....in the bathroom...(bring your laptop in with you)...and tough it out the best you can. bottom line, no pun intended...it can save your life. Good luck to all! Deb :D

Michelley12

Postby Michelley12 » Fri Feb 10, 2012 6:30 pm

I have to tell you that I am so glad that I did not read any of these post until I was done with moviprep! This was my third colonoscopy Feb 8th, 2012. I had done the pills last time and was sad to hear that they were "not allowed" anymore, at least by my doc. I was very apprehensive about moviprep. I could not stand the idea of drinking this stuff that I knew would have some lemony salty flavor! This is what I did: Two days before I was to start my "fast" I ate only soft foods. IE: Pasta, eggs, toast, hash browns. Anything that I knew would be easy to digest. On the day of the fast in the morning I really was not hungry until about 11am so then I had that wonderful chicken broth and a little lemon jello. I HATE JELLO but was hungry and knew I had to have something besides broth and juice/pop whatever! At 6pm I mixed up the moviprep and drank my first dose. Terrible flavor, but I did get it down. I used apple juice as a chaser. Things started to flow about 20-30minutes later. By 830pm things were running clear. I was supposed to get up at 3am and start my second litre of moviprep. I have to tell you I did not! I knew if things were clear at 830p there was no reason to get myself up and drink that stuff again. My appointment was at 845am and was completely successfull! I started reading posts after I was almost done with my first dose. There were so many nightmare stories I am so glad that I did not experience any of them!! The only side effect that I had was I WAS FREEZING! I am not sure what that was all about but did see in one post that another person was also freezing! I had gloves on in bed! Moviprep was so easy to use and I am so glad I did not even need the second dose. I swear it is because I ate so light and the soft foods the few days before. Good luck and try what I did. Worked perfect and I highly recommend.
:D

jranniwe

Postby jranniwe » Mon Feb 27, 2012 9:43 pm

Hi,
Newbie here, but not to colonoscopy.
I'm prepping here with Movie prep for the first (and last) time - NASTY stuff
It seems to be working good so far, but I didn't finish 2nd phase. I just CAN'T.
I think I can get along without that last 25% but I just realized I didn't add "pouch B" to the mix.
Anybody know if that will that hurt anything?(leaving out the mix)

It says each pouch B contains ascorbic acid and sodium ascorbate.

I liked the miralax/dulcolax prep soooooo much better....
:?
carcinoid tumor removed, multiple polyps 4 years ago
still under surveillance...

CJanelle

Postby CJanelle » Thu Mar 15, 2012 12:43 pm

I just went through the awfulness that is Moviprep last night. I only got through about half of my second liter before I started gagging, but my doc said that I was nice and clean. (Phew.) I went in for lower intestinal upset, which my doc thinks is most likely IBS since there were no signs of Crohn's or colitis, but he did find a polyp. How common is it for 24 year old females to develop polyps? I'm kinda of freaking out.

I won't get biopsy results back for a week. This is going to be the longest week of my life. :(
3.15.12 - polyp removed; awaiting biopsy results

Postby Guest » Mon Apr 02, 2012 7:11 pm

Been reading pages upon pages of posts for the better part of the day and I think I got myself all worked up for nothing. First off, this is my first colonoscopy (I'm 39), but my wife, brother, sister-in-law and both parents have all had them. My parents both had polyps removed, which I told the GI doctor and I'm sure prompted him to check me "early."

My personal thoughts on things so far...

Well I've always had an "iron gut" in that I can probably count the number of times on my hands that I've vomited in my life. I don't have any gag reflex, so I think I was most concerned about the MoviPrep. After downing the first liter - I was worried about nothing. Now I'm not trying to sound cocky or anything, I do realize that people have different reactions to different things, but I was really worried about this stuff. To me it takes like day old Sprite. I haven't even used a chaser yet. I'm two hours in and have gone to the restroom a couple of times and my wife assures me "it'll get worse" but I feel fine. I'm not even hungry! Of course this might be a different story come 2 a.m. when I do my second liter.

I did have it chilled, didn't use a straw, rather I just "shotgunned" it like a shot at a bar. I felt that the less time in my mouth and the less I think about it,the better.

Anyway, to anyone out there that might be dreading this, let it be said that it's really not as bad as some out there say.

At any rate, some good advice here for sure, and thought I'd share my .02.

Postby Guest » Thu Apr 05, 2012 10:03 am

Figured I'd follow up on my own post. Well I downed the second liter of the MoviPrep early Tuesday morning. Suffice it to say I never really got back to sleep. Anyway, the procedure was fine, doctor said he removed four polyps and he wants to see me again in three years. Fine by me, knowing now what's involved, it's not that bad and if it keeps me free and clear (so to speak) it's a small price to pay for my health and peace of mind.

I will say that my procedure was done early Tuesday morning and it's now Thursday morning and I've still yet to have a bowel movement. I'm not sure if that's normal or not and my eating patterns have returned to normal. Anyway, summing up the whole experience - it wasn't really that bad. I psyched myself out with the preparation part as it wasn't that bad. And if the polyps removed helped me physically, then it was a small price to pay.

Hannahklynch

Postby Hannahklynch » Wed Apr 11, 2012 9:54 am

I'm 24 and having my first colonoscopy tomorrow at 11. The doctors think I have severe IBS but want to have a look up there before ruling it as IBS. I live in Australia and had a cup of the mixture at 3 pm then had to have a litre at 6 pm and another glass at 9pm. Wondering if I over did it as my number 2's where already watery at the 6 pm dose. It's now currently 12:30am here and I'm still pooping... Is that normal, I thought I would of stopped by now? So I've been pooping since 3:30 and sorry for the tmi but my butt is killing me!
I don't know how people can handle going through this again, no way will I ever be lol.

Brenda

Postby Brenda » Wed Apr 18, 2012 8:42 pm

I just today had my lates colonoscopy. A nurse friend advised me to take a Gravol pill one hour before I had to take each dose. I do that and it works wonders.

Return to “Colon Talk - Colon cancer (colorectal cancer) support forum”