Moviprep - colonoscopy prep

Please feel free to read, share your thoughts, your stories and connect with others!
ASTEPHENS33

Moviprep - colonoscopy prep

Postby ASTEPHENS33 » Tue Jun 26, 2007 7:43 pm

I was prescribed Moviprep for my colon clean-out for my upcoming colonoscopy. I've not heard of it before. Anyone have information or experience with it? Thanks.

sean

Postby sean » Tue Jun 26, 2007 11:45 pm

Lucky you - same stuff I had. It is a lot of nasty tasting liquid to get down. It gave a real good view of my colon which is probably why it is prescribed.

My advice:

1. Get some good think diaper rash ointment and put it on before you start and between each evacuation.
2. Eat lightly or even a liquid diet for both prior days to prevent cramping.
3. The stuff tastes like nasty sweet saltwater. I tried taking it like shooters but could only make it 1/2 way through the second bottle. Doc said it was better to stop there than to vomit. Don't be afraid to contact the doc or nurse if it is really tough to get down.

4. I heard from another patient later that this stuff is much more manageable if you mix it with gingerale or another good tasting clear liquid instead of water. All the doc wants is clear liquids, but you might want to double check with the nurse - they may have some more suggestions to make this stuff go down easier.

5. Drink some water between "shots" - it helped me get more of it down.

Good luck and remember the prep is the bad part - the procedure is a breeze.

n
42 - dx Jan 3 2007 stage IIA colon
9 FOLFOX4, 3 5-FU completed Sep 24 2007
Blockage symptoms, Negative Colonoscopy, Positive PET Oct 2009
2nd Resection Oct 2009 - Suspected Local Recurrence was Negative

ASTEPHENS33

Fresca

Postby ASTEPHENS33 » Wed Jun 27, 2007 12:00 am

Don't know what possessed me, but I scheduled the colonoscopy for July 5 - so no 4th of July picnics for me. The nurse suggested I try mixing it with Fresca, which I did last time, but had GoLytle (sp?) and it worked out o.k.

sean

Postby sean » Wed Jun 27, 2007 12:16 am

For July 4th Gin & Tonic is a clear liquid too... but I doubt the nurse would give the ok! Tonic water might be strong enough to mask the taste too if you like it.

Good luck with the colonoscopy. Hope everything is clean & clear for you.
42 - dx Jan 3 2007 stage IIA colon
9 FOLFOX4, 3 5-FU completed Sep 24 2007
Blockage symptoms, Negative Colonoscopy, Positive PET Oct 2009
2nd Resection Oct 2009 - Suspected Local Recurrence was Negative

Moviprep Rep

I hope this helps someone!!!

Postby Moviprep Rep » Mon Jul 02, 2007 9:19 pm

If you were given Moviprep, it is alot less liquid than the older ouitdated preps. The taste is far more tolerable than Fleet, Golytely, Colyte, or Trilyte. What will make it more palatable is to get it very cold and drink it through a straw. If you mix it with anything else you will make it taste worse. Water is best. Remember, you don't have to prep very often, and when you do, if you follow your doctors instructions, it may save your life. God bless all of you who have had adverse diagnoses. May you get back to great health soon! :)

georgemma

Postby georgemma » Wed Jul 04, 2007 11:23 am

I don't know anything about Moviprep, but I misread it as "movieprep" and was thinking that at least you had a kind GI doctor who suggested that you watch movies to take your mind off things. What movie do you think would be good? I can't believe that I am posting something so stupid! You did make me laugh, and thanks for that.

ASTEPHENS33

Humor

Postby ASTEPHENS33 » Wed Jul 04, 2007 6:25 pm

Humor is one of the things that helps us get through this. What comes to mind is "Sideways" - for obvious reasons, the position of the colonoscopy - and "The Cable Guy" - as a reference to the doctor.

Sam

Postby Sam » Thu Nov 15, 2007 1:05 am

It gave me stomach cramps and a lot of gas. Had to drink a lot more than the other preps 5 years ago.

Patti

Postby Patti » Sat Nov 17, 2007 10:46 pm

My doc had me try MoviPrep for my last colonoscopy. It was a lot easier than the other stuff I've taken in the past, as I didn't have to take the ducolax/bisacodyl (something like that) that caused a lot of cramping the last time.

Advice....chill it and drink it through a straw!!!!! Definitely better then the big gallon junk they gave me before.

I saw an ad about OsmoPrep (pills). Has anyone tried that? A friend took those and said it was pretty easy.

Magnolia

Postby Magnolia » Sat Nov 24, 2007 10:36 pm

I had MoviPrep for my last one. It was the easiest. HalfLytely was the worst, but that may have been because they were giving me antibiotics with it. I puked. That was pre-colon resection. My electrolyes got so out of whack I had a little run of v-tach in the recovery room. Don't want to do that again.
Dx Stage IIIC CC 3/10/06
Surgery 3/20/06
Folfox 4/06 - 10/06
Avastin 4/06 - 4/07
NED!

http://www.CoverYourButt.org
Healthcare is a right, not a privilege.

PGLGreg

Postby PGLGreg » Sat Nov 24, 2007 11:30 pm

Patti wrote:I saw an ad about OsmoPrep (pills). Has anyone tried that?

I took that a short time ago. Four pills every 15 minutes for a total of 32 pills, and then bowel movements for another 2 hours. Not bad. I don't experience any nausea from pills.
Greg
stage 2a rectal cancer 11/05 at age 63
LAR 12/05 with adjuvant radiation+5FU,leucovorin 1-2/06
NED for 12 years, cured

weisssoccermom

Postby weisssoccermom » Sun Nov 25, 2007 12:14 am

Greg,
Thanks for the post about OsmoPrep. I have my first post-surgery colonoscopy on Tuesday and I am taking the pills Monday. I feel better reading your post that it wasn't so bad. Thanks
Jaynee
Dx 6/22/2006 IIA rectal cancer
6 wks rad/Xeloda -finished 9/06
1st attempt transanal excision 11/06
11/17/06 XELOX 1 cycle
5 months Xeloda only Dec '06 - April '07
10+ blood clots, 1 DVT 1/07
transanal excision 4/20/07 path-NO CANCER CELLS!
NED now and forever!
Perform random acts of kindness

AngelaW

Postby AngelaW » Wed Nov 28, 2007 6:56 pm

The Osmoprep pills are great! I had them when I had my colonoscopy last November. Unfortunately I had to drink the Fleet crap with both resections. I am trying to talk the surgeon into researching Osmoprep and giving me that if/when the colostomy is reversed.
Rectal Cancer Dx 11-2-06 Age 38
Stage IIIC 7/16 nodes +
5FU/Rads prior to LAR on 1-31-07
R/V Fistula 4/07
2nd LAR 5-4-07 plus colostomy
FOLFOX done 11-6-07
http://www.caringbridge.org/visit/angelawalker
Breast Cancer/Dbl mastectomy 8-11-08

Scotaku

Postby Scotaku » Wed Nov 28, 2007 8:27 pm

Funny seeing HalfLytely not making the grade. I've just finished mine (surgery tomorrow) and had intended to come sing its praises. I'd done MoviPrep as the control prep in a study I participated in before my colonoscopy that got me on these rails... and MoviPrep was just about the worst thing I'd ever endured.

I think the difference this time round is the benefits (sic) of six weeks of Xeloda and radiation. My tumor has shrunk and I've had much better bowel movements ever since; regardless of the side effect pain from the rays. Now the prep doesn't have to move past the chokepoint that the tumor had been.

Fwiw, they both tasted awful though HalfLytely was slightly better. I splashed in a little orange Gatorade with each glass to help sweeten it up. HL was finished within an hour (2.5 hours for MP) and it was working within about 45 minutes of the first glass (1.5 hours for MP).
- Sco

Magnolia

Postby Magnolia » Wed Nov 28, 2007 9:54 pm

My aunt and uncle both loved GoLytely when it first came out. I'm not fond of any of it, but when people say 'the prep is the worst part' I have to disagree. That first time, the RESULTS were the worst part.
Dx Stage IIIC CC 3/10/06
Surgery 3/20/06
Folfox 4/06 - 10/06
Avastin 4/06 - 4/07
NED!

http://www.CoverYourButt.org
Healthcare is a right, not a privilege.

Return to “Colon Talk - Colon cancer (colorectal cancer) support forum”