Daily Enema

Please feel free to read, share your thoughts, your stories and connect with others!
lauragb

Re: Daily Enema

Postby lauragb » Mon Jan 07, 2013 3:08 pm

I am another person who uses enemas to go to the bathroom. It has been hard for me to totally embrace that this is what I have to do but it sure beats when I don't do it. When I don't
use enemas I cluster for hours and when I'm not clustering still have sensations that I have to go. When I do use them I get cleaned out and move on. I typically use a quart to a quart and a half
of warm water. It usually takes 30 minutes to empty my colon and that cleans me out for a day or two. I sometimes have some brief feelings of nausea during the clean-out but the discomfort while not fun is short-lived. Expulsion of the stool is loud and can be messy but still better than feeling tethered to a toilet. I am seven months out from reversal
and still working on accepting that this needs to be a routine in my life. It is so nice to be free from BMs and live a more normal life though.

I just returned home after being in the hospital for two weeks having had a bowel obstruction that needed repaired. The colo-rectal surgeons were supportive of my decision to use enemas. I was surprised that the
staff on the colorectal surgery floor weren't more familiar with people who use daily enemas. After this latest problem though, more surgery, it makes the issue of using the enema seem less of one.

Laura
RC 3B 7/2011 @ 53
Chemoradiation 5 weeks 8/11
LAR-Hysterect-temp ileo
pCR, 0/23 nodes
Folfox 1/12, Xeloda 2/12 to 5/12
Reversal 5/12
SBO,lysis of adhesions 12/12
NED 11/12, 11/13, 6/16

Jachut
Facebook Username: hutchinson@aanet.com.au

Postby Jachut » Mon Jan 07, 2013 6:11 pm

Messyu and loud, you got that right!

It is hard to accept this as part of a normal routine, but I try to compare it to having an ostomy. "normal" wasnt an option, it's that or this. I have actually never told my surgeon, he would probably freak, they're very protective of their pouches. They also seem to see the pouch as some kind if holy grail, that nothing could possibly be worse than an ostomy. My honest feeling on this is that if this damages my pouch over the years, I don't care! I'll take not having a bag as many years as I can and then I'll go back.

A bag was easier in the sense I found it quick, clean and quiet and my dodgy irritable colon didn't suddenly decide to inflate itself with gas at inopportune moments. I now need privacy and security - public bathrooms, camping grounds, even work, no way. And hubby has gotten quite frustrated with me but I can not, will not stay at friend homes or holiday homes and have to o my business there, I will not share flats and motel rooms with friends and some nights I will veto a planned outing like dinner or the movies because I can sense I need to go.

So I definitely don't find it allows me to live a totally normal life!

beccab1

Postby beccab1 » Mon Jan 07, 2013 7:53 pm

Eric is still doing an enema everyday and it has been "freeing" for lack of a better word. He works a normal day - no more cancelling appointments last minute with clients, no more working an extra two hours because the entire morning was spent in the bathroom, no more "there's no way I can eat that." He is really happy with this routine right now. Unfortunately, his surgeon is very unhappy! He wants him to quit doing it and have a procedure to stretch the area so that bowel movements are easier. He doesn't think it is an acceptable solution especially long term. We are so thankful to him and he is such a compassionate, caring person but I think he is not taking into account that Eric has to live and work and can't focus all of his energy everyday on going to the bathroom. Eric is conflicted on what he should do. In my opinion, it is up to Eric if there are no dangers to doing it and he is happy with it for now, then I think he should continue. Glad to see that this option is making life easier for others, too. Wish his surgeon would get on board!
My husband, Eric, dx @ age 35
Stage IIIb RC (T3N1M0), 3/10
Finished 6 weeks rad/xeloda 5/10
Surgery 7/10, Lap LAR, Colonic J Pouch, Temp. Ileostomy
ypT2N0M0
Xelox (5 rounds)
Takedown 12/13/10
Clear CT - 2011-2015

lauragb

Postby lauragb » Mon Jan 07, 2013 8:27 pm

Jachut,
No sharing hotel rooms or staying in someone else's house for me either. Too much noise and mess. Like I said on the day to day front, it is a good solution. But No, I can't see myself in a campground bathroom. We did go on vacation with friends sharing a house in which we had our own bathroom that was pretty private. Nothing like becoming high maintenance.................

Beccab1
I don't understand why your husband's surgeon is against the enemas especially after all this time. Hope it keeps working for him.

My husband and I discussed the use of enemas again today. We see it as similar to having a bag, this or that like Jachut said. It does seem that surgeons rate all the sphincter saving surgeries as the successful ones and that's what you read in statistics from medical centers. We of course know that isn't the whole story.................
RC 3B 7/2011 @ 53
Chemoradiation 5 weeks 8/11
LAR-Hysterect-temp ileo
pCR, 0/23 nodes
Folfox 1/12, Xeloda 2/12 to 5/12
Reversal 5/12
SBO,lysis of adhesions 12/12
NED 11/12, 11/13, 6/16

Peloton

Postby Peloton » Mon Jan 07, 2013 10:07 pm

becca -

If your husband is worried, I would recommend that you get a second opinion. My colorectal surgeon suggested using an enema, and he's the top colorectal surgeon at a major research hospital in Chicago.

Jachut wrote:It is hard to accept this as part of a normal routine, but I try to compare it to having an ostomy.

This was hard for me as well. But thankfully I have a co-worker who is also a very good friend and mentor. Her husband is a quadriplegic (he was in a bad car accident 20 years ago). He has some use of his hands and arms, but it is very limited and he can't use the restroom without assistance (along with many other things of daily living). My co-worker has shared some details of their morning routine (though not all), and suffice it to say, spending 30-45 minutes each morning doing an enema suddenly seemed relatively inconsequential.

I don't mean to make light of my (or anyone else's) experience with this disease or coming to terms with having permanently impaired bowel function. Recovering from treatments and finding a routine that allows me to live a somewhat normal life has been a long, hard road. But seeing my co-worker and her husband, who is incredibly accomplished in the legal academia world, manage his disability has both inspired me and helped me to keep things in perspective.

Return to “Colon Talk - Colon cancer (colorectal cancer) support forum”