lung biopsy question

Please feel free to read, share your thoughts, your stories and connect with others!
rthornton

lung biopsy question

Postby rthornton » Thu Jun 21, 2007 2:39 pm

I had a CT/PET on Monday, and there is a lesion on my left lung that showed up on the CT but not the PET. Actually, it's been there for a long time, and has always showed up on CT scans but never on PET scans. Now, it seems to have grown a bit since my last scans in March. So, I have a CT-guided needle biopsy on my lung scheduled for July 3rd, to see whether this lesion is malignant or benign (the doctor thinks it's benign, but better to be sure about things ...). The procedure is scheduled for early morning, and is outpatient. I've never had a needle biopsy before, so I don't know if there's any kind of recovery time. I am curious if I can plan on working that night (all I will be doing is audio-taping a class at a university, which involves sitting in front of a computer for four hours ... not exactly physically demanding work). If it was an early morning colonoscopy, I'd have no problem working later in the day. Is a needle biopsy something that will require a day or two (or more) or recovery time?

Hannah

Postby Hannah » Thu Jun 21, 2007 11:03 pm

I am pretty sure you will be okay with just a needle biopsy, but double check w/your doc. Be sure to ask how many "sticks" they are planning to do - they can make you very sore!

Also, has the doc discussed RFA? I'm guessing that you're waiting until the biopsy results come back? Let us know how it goes...

:)Hannah
Hannah K. Vogler
Co-Founder, The Colon Club
cousin of Amanda Sherwood Roberts
dx 1/99 Stage III at age 24
died January 1, 2002 at age 27

rthornton

Postby rthornton » Thu Jun 21, 2007 11:07 pm

Well, I found out that I don't have to work that night, after all. Also, I don't think that this lesion is malignant, so hopefully RFA won't be needed. I had RFA for a liver met last year. The after effects were strange.

Thank you.

Hawaii

Postby Hawaii » Thu Jun 21, 2007 11:56 pm

I had a CT-guided biopsy into a lymph node in my lower stomach area, as outpatient, and it was simple. I went home after 3 hours and they just told me not to lift anything heavy for 2 weeks. Very mild pain, tylenol worked just fine. Then had the node removed 3 weeks ago and feel great. Good luck to you!

missjv

Postby missjv » Fri Jun 22, 2007 1:22 pm

hi rodney,
i had a ct scan guided needle biopsy of liver and it was not bad at all. just told to go home and take it easy for the rest of the day and no heavy lifting for a week or so. im not sure what the instructions would be for the lungs probably about the same just take it easy for a couple days. im sure your right and thing on lung is not malignant. i have had a small lesion in my lung now for 17 years. when i was first diagnosed with the colon cancer and it came up on scan docs said possible mets then i had to get some of my old medical records and say look here it is from 1992 it is not cancer. same spot is still there but im not worried at all about that particular one it would be new ones that i would worry about but that won't happen either. good luck im sure all is fine you have been through enough already.

missjv

rthornton

Postby rthornton » Sat Jun 23, 2007 5:42 am

Well, it sound like, all in all, a needle biopsy isn't so bad. And, like your lung lesion, missjv, my father has a couple of things in his body that have been around for years but seem harmless, even changing size over time (getting larger and smaller). I don't think I really have cancer again, but with a medical history of recurrent cancer, you don't take chances!

Thank you.

missjv

Postby missjv » Sat Jun 23, 2007 7:59 am

hi,
no the needle biopsy is not bad it sounds worse then it is. im sure your fine. we all have funny little bumps and lesions that are nothing in our bodies, but your right with cancer you have to be careful. i take it your liver looks good you did not mention anything about it so i am assumming no news is good news. i have another scan tuesday 26th im on the every 3 month schedule now that chemo is over so im gettting a little nervous. then i go and read my surgery report and doc notes then i feel better from what i read on my records one doctor wrote my little liver spots were not impressive so that made me feel good i just hope the crap stays away.

missjv

rthornton

Postby rthornton » Sat Jun 23, 2007 8:11 am

Yes, I had a liver recurrence last summer so I was particularly worried about that area. The CT/PET detected nothing in my liver to worry about. That was a relief.

So, you have a scan right around the corner? Don't you just love waiting around for scans and their results? If my memory is correct, and that's a long shot, then isn't this your first scan since going into remission?

I truly hope that your scan results turn out to be very, very good.

missjv

Postby missjv » Sat Jun 23, 2007 12:40 pm

hi,
glad to hear the liver is good. yes this will be my 1st after chemo scan. the rest of the scans i have been on chemo but doc said it was still good showing norecurrance while on chemo cause some people grow new tumors on chemo so any clean scan is a good one. yes im nervous but i did 10 months of chemo and liver resection and luckily my liver lesions were not imbedded tumors but surface stuff and there were only 3 and small and no lymphnode involvment so i have to stay confident and hopeful that i may be a lucky person and the stuff is gone for good. but if it does come back i will do it all over again i won't like it but i will deal with it.

missjv

sue

RFA for a liver met

Postby sue » Mon Jun 25, 2007 5:30 pm

Can you explain how the RFA to a liver met was? Painful? Did you have to stay in the hospital etc.? Thx, Sue
quote="rthornton"]Well, I found out that I don't have to work that night, after all. Also, I don't think that this lesion is malignant, so hopefully RFA won't be needed. I had RFA for a liver met last year. The after effects were strange.

Thank you.[/quote]
Oct 2003 surgery 36 weeks 5FU

Dec 2006-mets to liver and lymph nodes (stage 1V ) Had liver resection/radiation/chemo

2008 nodes on lungs started FOLFOX4, 5FU/leucovorin, avastin. After 10 cycles no change

Oct 2008 started 5-FU

May 2009-Folfox4

rthornton

Re: RFA for a liver met

Postby rthornton » Mon Jun 25, 2007 5:59 pm

sue wrote:Can you explain how the RFA to a liver met was? Painful? Did you have to stay in the hospital etc.? Thx, Sue
[/quote]

Hi, Sue.

I had RFA during a liver resection. The resection was scheduled because CT/PET/MRI scans last summer revealed two mets in the right lobe. The surgeon removed those mets and then explored to look for more. He found two more mets not detected by MRI. One he was able to resect, and the other he ablated. So, it's not like I went in specifically for RFA, but rather it was part of a very invasive surgery. For several days after the surgery, I was simultaneously hot and cold. I would sweat but shiver all at once. The doctor told me that was probably because of the RFA. If that's true, then it's really the only side effect that I experienced from RFA.

I hope this helps. Maybe if my lung lesion turns out to be cancer, they will do RFA for that (not sure if it's even used for lung mets, though).

Rodney

sean

Postby sean » Mon Jun 25, 2007 6:49 pm

And if your lung lesion turns out to be benign - hope you have a fine drink! Good luck with it.
42 - dx Jan 3 2007 stage IIA colon
9 FOLFOX4, 3 5-FU completed Sep 24 2007
Blockage symptoms, Negative Colonoscopy, Positive PET Oct 2009
2nd Resection Oct 2009 - Suspected Local Recurrence was Negative

missjv

Postby missjv » Thu Jun 28, 2007 8:49 am

HI,
WELL MY AFTER CHEMO SCAN CAME OUT GREAT I AM SO RELIEVED. AS FAR AS YOUR LUNG I HAVE HEARD OF RFA FOR THE LUNGS THEY DO IT OFTEN. LEROY SIEVERS JUST HAD IT DONE ON HIS LUNGS I READ HIS BLOG EVERY NOW AND AGAIN. IM SURE YOUR LUNG IS FINE YOU HAVE ALREADY BEEN THROUGH ENOUGH IT CAN'T POSSIBLY HAPPEN AGAIN ESPECIALLY WITH THE SUCCESS OF YOUR LIVER SURGERY WHICH SO FAR HAS WORKED. THIS CANCER SUCKS!!!!!

MISSJV

rthornton

Postby rthornton » Wed Jul 04, 2007 5:06 pm

So, I had my lung needle biopsy yesterday, which resulted in a partially deflated lung. They discharged me because it was only about 10% deflated, with instructions to come to the ER if I had any unusual bleeding or lots of pain. I'm a little sore, but only just a bit. I just walked the dog (a leisurely walk ... nothing strenuous) and sneezed, and my sneeze was noticeably bloody. I am trying to decide if that's to be expected, given that my lung was pierced with a needle yesterday, or if I should be alarmed.

Guess I'll call the on-call nurse for my doctor to be sure. Nothing like a bloody sneeze to get your attention ...

Return to “Colon Talk - Colon cancer (colorectal cancer) support forum”