Anyone heard of/tried Inositol Hexaphosphate (aka IP6)?

Please feel free to read, share your thoughts, your stories and connect with others!
ketel

Anyone heard of/tried Inositol Hexaphosphate (aka IP6)?

Postby ketel » Thu Jun 21, 2007 1:15 pm

Gang,

Ketel here. Stage IIIC dx in 10/06 with nodal involvement. Right hemicolectomy 11/06.

Just wrapped up 6 months of FOLFOX+Avastin chemo. CT scans done last month were clear.

Met with primary doc to discuss "post-chemo" strategy, something my onc doc seems rather cavalier about. My cancer cell type is considered aggressive - signet cell-type adenacarcinoma. I am not that happy with just doing nothing in this post-chemo phase so I am looking into more pro-active approaches to ensure that this thing doesn't come back. Not content just looking over my shoulder the next 5 years.

My primary care doc mentioned Inositol Hexaphosphate (aka IP6) as something to take as a preventative thing. He believes it has some merit in slowing/stopping the growth of new cancer cells. Has anyone used this or heard of this?

Also, what are other post-chemo people doing besides the usual check-ups and scans. Is there anything we should be doing on a more pro-active basis to improve likelihood of there not being a recurrance??

thanks all.

Ketel

shel28

Postby shel28 » Thu Jun 21, 2007 10:47 pm

One of my friends that works with supplements recommended this to me. He sent me a pretty convincing article on it but I don't know what I did with it. It may be in my e-mail somewhere if you want me to send it to you. I bought some but haven't used it yet. My treatment seems to be working and I don' know if I should be taking this while I am going through surgeries and chemo.
Michelle. Stage III rectal cancer. Diagnosed Dec. 27, 2006. 28 years old. Los Angeles, CA and Denver, CO.

Hannah

Postby Hannah » Thu Jun 21, 2007 11:00 pm

I don't know much about this (it's also called phytate), but there have been some promising animal studies that show that it can help slow tumor growth. Like many things, it's a long way from possibly restricting tumor growth in animals to definitely stopping it in humans.

Meanwhile, it doesn't seem like it has any known dangers associated with taking it. In other words, it may or may not help with anything, but it probably won't hurt you to take.

If your doctor is the one recommending you take it, just be sure to ask what information s/he is relying on to recommend this to you - especially to show that it's not harmful. I just found the American Cancer Society's page on it: http://www.cancer.org/docroot/ETO/conte ... tearea=ETO

:)Hannah
Hannah K. Vogler
Co-Founder, The Colon Club
cousin of Amanda Sherwood Roberts
dx 1/99 Stage III at age 24
died January 1, 2002 at age 27

Return to “Colon Talk - Colon cancer (colorectal cancer) support forum”