shingles, anyone?

Please feel free to read, share your thoughts, your stories and connect with others!
georgemma

shingles, anyone?

Postby georgemma » Tue Jun 19, 2007 7:26 pm

Hi, all -- Now that I have finished my cancer treatments, I have just been diagnosed with . . . shingles. It is surprisingly painful, with shooting jabs and multiple rashes that cannot be touched. The internist asked if I was under a lot of stress (well, hello!) because that, and a lowered immunity, make you susceptible to shingles. So, has anyone here had a case of it? Thanks in advance for responding.

nodo

Postby nodo » Tue Jun 19, 2007 7:52 pm

I had shingles part way through chemo. Apparently, the shingles virus lies dormant in your body and a weakened immune system can lead to an outbreak. Mine was quickly cleared up with antibiotics and I never had a problem after that one episode.

ray

Postby ray » Tue Jun 19, 2007 9:49 pm

I had shingles about 20 years ago and they were quickly cleared up with the anti-viral drug zovirax. Prompt treatment is the key otherwise they can become very painful and may result in long lasting post herpetic neuralgia.

Don't just "wait them out"!
Diagnosed at age 47 after bleeding for many years
Stage II, T3N0M0
Sigmoid resection 8-20-02, 6 mo 5fu/leucovoran
Currently NED.

Lifes2short

Postby Lifes2short » Tue Jun 19, 2007 11:23 pm

I had Shingles six months before being diagnosed with cancer. I guess it should have been a clue to my diagnosis, wish my docs had paid more attention. It was miserable, very painful and made me pretty sick. Good luck and make sure you get plenty of rest.

PS Shingles is a herpes infection that stems from the chicken pox virus. Anyone who has had chicken pox can get shingles. Be careful around infants or other people with weakened immune systems.

georgemma

Postby georgemma » Wed Jun 20, 2007 9:04 am

Very interesting, Lifes2short, that you feel that the shingles were an indication that you were ill and you were not diagnosed with cancer at that time. I guess that we are all Monday-morning quarterbacks in some aspect of our cancer treatment.

sun-sparkled waves

Yes shingles is a pain

Postby sun-sparkled waves » Wed Jun 20, 2007 6:22 pm

Hi, funny you should mention shingles. I'm missing work this week because of it. I get it along my facial nerve and really worry about it effecting my eye on that side, I guess hearing can be effected, too. I've had it a few times before, and take anti- virals when I get it. I think it happens to me when I get too much sun, (weakens the immune system). People act shocked when they find out I had Shingles, "I thought only old people got that", and a lot of people don't realize that if you had Chicken pox, the virus lies dormant in your nerve ganglia. It's called Varicella Zoster. I'm finally starting to feel better. Will try harder to keep my immune system strong, don't forget sunsceen and rest.
I don't know if I can blame it on cancer and chemo, maybe.

ray

Postby ray » Wed Jun 20, 2007 10:54 pm

I had shingles when I was 25. Just like Colo-rectal cancer, you don't have to be old.
Diagnosed at age 47 after bleeding for many years

Stage II, T3N0M0

Sigmoid resection 8-20-02, 6 mo 5fu/leucovoran

Currently NED.

Postby Guest » Thu Jun 21, 2007 9:57 am

I had shingles once from chemo- antibiotics cleared it up in a week or so.

Return to “Colon Talk - Colon cancer (colorectal cancer) support forum”