Question for the women

Please feel free to read, share your thoughts, your stories and connect with others!
klryder02

Question for the women

Postby klryder02 » Mon Jun 18, 2007 1:52 pm

Hi Ladies-

Something I wasn't expecting happened yesterday...my period returned.

It has been gone since Feb. but since we dropped Oxali about a month and a half ago, I guess it decided it missed me!!

I will probably be switching to Folfiri the end of the summer. Should I expect it to go into hibernation again?

At first, I was a little disappointed because I enjoyed not having to deal with it, but then I realized that it is a good that it came back at all, and that my body is starting to return to its normal state.
29, stage IV, diagnosed Oct. 2006, currently on Oxaliplatin, 5-FU, and Vectibix.
http://youcantcontrolrandom.blogspot.com/

skier03

Menstrual Period

Postby skier03 » Mon Jun 18, 2007 7:49 pm

Hi there,

Well, it certainly IS a good thing that your period returned, even though it is nice not having to deal with it. So, I went through something similar. I stopped menstruating a few cycles into FOLFOX and then when I finished, it did return, although it did take some intervening to regulate it. It was completely normal for a good 9 months until I had a recurrence and had to go on chemo again. The second time around I was on FOLFIRI, and again, I stopped my period. It took a little longer for it to come back this time, but it has indeed. Since I just recently finished, it will be interesting to see if it regulates itself or not... Anyway, the bottom line is that you should probably expect it to go away again, but with any luck, it should again return... and that is a great thing!

Good luck!

Skier03

RobinS

Postby RobinS » Mon Jun 18, 2007 8:50 pm

Hi,

I was about to post a similar question, but see you beat me to it. I finished my 12 rounds of FolFox6 May 23, 2007, and I am 46.

During that time I had 3 periods and haven't had one for months. In May I started having night sweats and vaginal dryness. I looked up those symptoms and they are symptoms of menopause. Today I had a check with my oncologist and asked him about it. He said it was possible at my age to be starting menopause (and other things I've read agree that it is a possiblity for me) but the only thing is to wait a year to see. Chemo can cause menopause to come on, but usually only if you are near the age of it happening anyway, according to a couple of articles I've read online and in cancer magazines.

Hopefully, especially if you are younger than I, yours comes back.

Take care,

Robin

Return to “Colon Talk - Colon cancer (colorectal cancer) support forum”