Non-CEA Blood Test for Metatastic Colon Cancer

Please feel free to read, share your thoughts, your stories and connect with others!
sean

Non-CEA Blood Test for Metatastic Colon Cancer

Postby sean » Sat Jun 16, 2007 1:20 pm

Has anyone used this test or know about it? I am pretty sure this was the test recommended to me by an oncologist if I decided against chemo as additional safeguard to see if there was metatastic disease lurking. I don't know if it catches it before a CT would or not or why it hasn't been approved by insurance companies yet or even if all tumors have the marker.

http://www.tdtinc.com/t_prod_blood.html
42 - dx Jan 3 2007 stage IIA colon
9 FOLFOX4, 3 5-FU completed Sep 24 2007
Blockage symptoms, Negative Colonoscopy, Positive PET Oct 2009
2nd Resection Oct 2009 - Suspected Local Recurrence was Negative

betsydoglover
Facebook Username: Betsy Lindh Williams

Postby betsydoglover » Sat Jun 16, 2007 5:22 pm

This is interesting - I am suspicious - as always - regarding these things, but I will ask my onc about this in July. They don't sound like "quacks", but it is also strange that insurance most likely won't pay. CEA is fraught with difficulties - wish I had some real info with respect to this test as compared to CEA. (My CEA sucks as a marker for me!)

Take care,
Betsy

JAZZToo

Postby JAZZToo » Sat Jun 16, 2007 5:52 pm

I've heard of the GCC test. The problem with it, is you may have circulating colon cancer cells in your blood stream that would never colonize and become a growing colon cancer met. So there would be a positive test, but it doesn't mean that there is an actively growing cancer. Its the same thing with the PSA test. Many men have very tiny prostate cancers that never progress. But how do you tell the duds from the ones that will become active? EVery day our immune system destroys cells that if left to live could cause problems. So a few floating colon cancer cells might very well be destroyed before they could settle in somewhere and sprout a met. Besides, not all cancer cells are capable of rooting and becoming mets.

Jazz

ray

GCC

Postby ray » Mon Jun 18, 2007 10:59 am

I'm enrolled in a clinical trial for the GCC test. I've been having blood drawn for the past two years and will continue for one more. Guanylyl Cyclase C is a protein normally found in intestinal mucosal cells as well as colorectal cancer cells no matter where located. The presence of GCC in the blood would indicate free floating CRC cells.

The problem is as Jazz mentioned, it's far from certain that free floating CC cells will become a tumor.

Data from the study I'm in will help determine just how many do become mets and if the test can be used as a basis to begin treatment or just increased surveillance.
Diagnosed at age 47 after bleeding for many years
Stage II, T3N0M0
Sigmoid resection 8-20-02, 6 mo 5fu/leucovoran
Currently NED.

sean

Postby sean » Mon Jun 18, 2007 12:47 pm

Thanks everyone for the good info. My thinking is that about a year or two after chemo I'll probably pony up for the test just to see if there is any cc floating around. Hopefully the clinical trials will have some preliminary results by then.
42 - dx Jan 3 2007 stage IIA colon
9 FOLFOX4, 3 5-FU completed Sep 24 2007
Blockage symptoms, Negative Colonoscopy, Positive PET Oct 2009
2nd Resection Oct 2009 - Suspected Local Recurrence was Negative

Return to “Colon Talk - Colon cancer (colorectal cancer) support forum”