Saving Lives in Brooklyn and Queens!

Please feel free to read, share your thoughts, your stories and connect with others!
guptagastro.com

Saving Lives in Brooklyn and Queens!

Postby guptagastro.com » Sat Jun 16, 2007 1:10 pm

Hey, we are a GI practice located in Brooklyn and Queens. If anyone has any questions, please ask... we will forward them to the Physician. (Dr.Rakesh Gupta) He is been in practice for over 20 years and is an Assistant Clinical professor at Mount Sinai Hospital in NYC. Both of our locations are Joint Commission certified, you can check our our current status at qualitycheck.org

If you would like to contact us outside of this message board, please go to www.guptagastro.com or email me personally: admin@guptagastro.com

FYI:
We are doing multiple polypectomies per week.... Sometimes we find malignant cancer in patients under the age of 50 with no associated symptoms.... We are fighting hard to raise the awareness.

missjv

Postby missjv » Sat Jun 16, 2007 2:53 pm

hi,
glad your fighting to raise awareness. something needs to be done so doctors do not blow off colon cancer symptoms in a young person as something else. my brothers friend passed away 6 days ago he was in his 20's had a young child and went to different docs for 2 years with every symptom of colon cancer and one doc even said it was mental. well he is dead because after a trip a couple weeks ago to emergency room for horrible pains in his right side and yellowing of the eyes he was found to have stage 4 colon cancer and his liver was starting to go into failure and that is what he died from. his liver was consumed with cancer there was nothing that could be done. the bad thing was that the tumor that was in his colon was not that large it did not cause blockage of any kind but the part of the tumor that grew through the colon was enormous yet since his age docs did not think of cancer and that is a shame cause maybe 2 years ago when he started feeling bad it could have been caught and treated. i just wish that stupid age of 50 wasn't imbedded in peoples brains cause alot of young people are dying from colon cancer and im sure alot of them could have been saved if they were diagnosed properly. i think at least 30 would be a good age to start routine colonoscopies. if cancer can be caught early or prevented then the insurance industry would save millions of dollars on people who would otherwise be on chemo. it makes sense to me to stop stuff before it happens. also we need to somehow stress to people a colonoscopy is not bad. your asleep and it is over quickly and everyone has a butt and all our butts do the same thing so why be embarressed?

missjv

guptagastro.com

CORRECT!

Postby guptagastro.com » Thu Jun 21, 2007 10:00 am

You are absolutely right. When someone of any age has rectal bleeding, a full investigation should be conducted. Colon cancer at that age is quite uncommon and that was the reason of the delay in diagnosis. Such patients should always be seen by a gastroenterologist. If you do not feel comfortable with your physicians advise, seek another opinion, or more.

Although the recommendations for colon cancer screenings are at the age 50 (45 for African Americans), earlier detection can only be helpful.

I am sure most people in this forum are aware that a colon polyp may turn into cancer. Nationally, 25% of males and 15% of females have polyps found during their colonoscopy. In our practice population of the New York City region, we are finding a somewhat higher percentage of polyps. .

Return to “Colon Talk - Colon cancer (colorectal cancer) support forum”