PICC Line vs POrt in Chest

Please feel free to read, share your thoughts, your stories and connect with others!
Lifes2short

Postby Lifes2short » Thu May 15, 2008 2:33 pm

I would absolutely recommend a port. I had a PICC line for five weeks when I was first diagnosed and treated - it was miserable. I had a lot of pain, it was always in the way, it was difficult to shower, I couldn't swim or use the hot tub... the list goes on. I would never consider a PICC line for long-term treatment.

I've had the port for 18 months now - I don't even think about it. Mine does show - I'm skinny. But I'd rather have a lump in my chest than a constant bandage on my arm.
Age 45; Stage IV, mets to liver, nodes and bones.
Dx 12/05; Chemoradiation, surgery, Folfox, Folfiri, Folfiri, Folfiri, Folfiri
Intrathecal pain pump 3/09 (works great!)
Irinotecan / Erbitux 5/09 - ?
Two wonderful kids ages 7 and 5

Hollywood

Re: PICC Line vs POrt in Chest

Postby Hollywood » Sun Jan 25, 2009 6:39 pm

I'm taking a preventative 5 month chemotherapy treatment, and my doctor told me that since I was a young lady who wouldn't have any trouble staying clean who only weighed 110 pounds, he would advise the port. He said 5 months is relatively short term, and that the port would constantly hurt in someone as thin as me. So, I got a PICC line (which can be used the same day) and I love and hate it. I have very sensitive skin and the dressings they used on it gave me terrible rashes. One of the stitches came out twice. But there is no stick, and they can draw blood, give chemo, fluids, and anything else from it. I don't know what it's like to have a port, but if you're not excessively skinny I would not recommend a PICC line. The placement is done when you are wide awake with no drugs given to calm you down, and it's very painful if they bust the vein, (which they did on me), or hit a nerve (which they also did on me). Hope I've helped.

Lifes2short

Postby Lifes2short » Mon Jan 26, 2009 7:32 pm

Hollywood, I think your doc steered you wrong! I'm skinny too, was only about 100 pounds when the put the port in. It shows, but it certainly doesn't hurt. I remember the pain of getting the PICC placed. It was horrible. I'm sorry you have had to deal with it.
Age 45; Stage IV, mets to liver, nodes and bones.
Dx 12/05; Chemoradiation, surgery, Folfox, Folfiri, Folfiri, Folfiri, Folfiri
Intrathecal pain pump 3/09 (works great!)
Irinotecan / Erbitux 5/09 - ?
Two wonderful kids ages 7 and 5

strongme

Postby strongme » Mon Jan 26, 2009 7:45 pm

I was 82 lbs when I got a port -a -cath. I wasn't even suggested to have a PICC line and I was very skinny. I 've had my port for almost 3 years and it never hurt. I still don't weigh more than 100 lbs and don't have any problems with a port.

KellyBelle
Facebook Username: Kelly Davis Keeling

Postby KellyBelle » Mon Jan 26, 2009 10:41 pm

I had a great experience with my medi-port... actually had my first chemo the day after it was installed (if that's the right word). Also never had a bit of pain, even right after it was put in. I don't think I could deal with the PICC line --too much of a visible reminder that one has cancer. My port was visible under thin clothes or if I wore a v-neck or low top, but no tubes! On chemo days, the nurses sprayed a numbing agent on the area, and putting the line in was no more painful than getting a shot.
Diagnosed March, 2008
Stage IIIC
Colo-Anal Reconstructive Surgery April, 2008
Finished Folfox treatment November, 2008
NED! December 2008
NED! December 2011

Life is what we make it, always has been, always will be.
~Grandma Moses

Littlefish

Postby Littlefish » Wed Jan 28, 2009 2:14 am

I was supposed to have my port put in this morning, but the machine was broken so back Friday.... I was quite apprehensive, but this morning the nurse showed me one and how it sits under the skin I'm feeling much more comfortable. If you haven't seen them maybe google chemo port and find some pictures. I'm stage IV so figure it's going to be a bit of a journey and may as well go straight with the port. Also you only have to have it flushed once a month? vs going in once a week to the hospital with the pic- I'm thinking that on my recovery times I don't need to be going back to hospital. Good luck with the choice.
Kath 35yrs
Dx Dec 08
Stage IV Rectal Cancer (1 Liver met- resected)
Treatment started Feb 09 :6 weeks Chemo/Radiation, April 09 Ultra Low Rectal Resection, June 09 Liver Resection
July-Nov 09 8 rounds FOLFOX & Avastin

hannahw

Postby hannahw » Thu Jan 29, 2009 2:42 am

I think one of the important questions to ask is how long do you need access? PICC lines can, under optimal circumstances, stay in for a year, but generally I don't think it's advised to leave it in for than a few weeks.

Among the drawbacks of a PICC...

- greater risk of infection (for a variety of reasons including the fact the catheter is much longer than with a port)
- more frequent maintenance needed (PICC should be flushed at least once a day and the dressing changed once a week, port can be flushed once a month and after the initial wound heals, doesn't need to be dressed)
- external

On the plus side, when you're done with the PICC it can just be pulled out, no hassle. With a port it has to be surgically removed. Then again, you can leave your port when you're done with it and always have it "just in case." There's also no pain with the PICC. It's easy access, no needle stick once the line is in. Some people really can't stand having the port accessed. The needle is big and it can hurt although there are topical meds that numb the skin and most people don't seem to have a problem.

Both the PICC and the port can be "power" accessed for high speed dye injection, that sort of thing. And both can be used multi-purpose.

If you're not sure which to choose, talk to your oncologist and/or interventional radiologist. They can go over the pros and cons with you.
Daughter of Dad with Stage IV CC

Mariaaa

Postby Mariaaa » Tue Apr 14, 2009 9:39 pm

i personally prefer a picc line.

a port is TOTALLY NOTICABLE.

andd i picc line isnt that hard to manage.
i havent had any problems with it.

also, whats wrong with saline and heprin everyday?
its not that bad...

AJS
Facebook Username: Angie Jennings Stratton

Postby AJS » Wed Apr 15, 2009 12:36 pm

I had a port as well. Given the choice, I wanted the port because I have contrary veins and this made infusions and blood work sooooo easy on me as well as my nurses. When I broke my ankle back in August 08 the nurse in the emergency room even hooked up my IV through my port. Had it removed in Dec., but I have to do another round of chemo again so I'm getting another one put in this coming Monday and start my tx's the following Mon. My onc's office called and set up the appt. and never had the first problem getting me in when I needed to have it done. They don't have to put you under either. I was numbed and talked to the tech the whole time before.

The advantages for me were:

1. Below the skin.....not noticeable
2. Waterproof...bathe, swim (no worries)
3. Ease of blood work, infusions
4. In my case....in emergencies--comes in real handy
5. I "run" hot and didn't have to worry about long sleeves, etc.

This again comes down to personal choice and all we can do is tell you what works or what has worked for us. Good luch with which one you choose.
[size=50][color=#FF00FF]Diverticulitis/Resection 12/27/07
Dx 1/08-Stage IIIA CC-2/15 Lymph Nodes-42 yrs old
2/08-8/08 -Folfox/Erbitux
Hysterectomy 3/09-CC on Ovary-Folfiri&Avastin
1/12-resection,bladder surgery,illeostomy
3/12-Illeostomy takedown
5/13-Folfiri/Avastin

Ivona
Facebook Username: Ivona Bradley

Postby Ivona » Wed Apr 15, 2009 12:46 pm

Here in Canada we tend to get PICC's because they are easier , faster (and cheaper!) to install. IF you're on a short cycle of chemo, it may not be such a big deal...but if you are going to be on chemo for an extended period, I would push for the port. I had a PICC for a few months,and it didn't bother me much and because I had an excellent home nurse, I didn't run into any of the infection problems that are so common.
dx'd Oct '08 (age 48)
T3bN2Mx
9/23 LN's
resection Nov '08
Folfox Jan '09 - March '09
Xeloda March 24/09 - July 6/09

"Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, but today is a gift. That is why it's called 'the present'. "

Beach Queen

Postby Beach Queen » Wed Apr 15, 2009 2:30 pm

I wasn't given a choice but had my port installed on a thursday and started chemo
on monday. It was tender for a few days but as far as accessing it there was
never any pain. Sometimes it was difficult to get the blood to come out but they
had me raise my arms and leaned me back in the chair and it worked.
I am glad that I have it since I have 6 mo. chemo every other week after surgery.
I am not skinny and you can see my scar and a slight bump but who cares?
I am a needle whimp and with everything I have been showing over the last 2+
months any vanity I did have went away. Sometimes when I go into an appointment
I start to pull down my pants when I don't need to. :lol:

Return to “Colon Talk - Colon cancer (colorectal cancer) support forum”