finally starting chemo

Please feel free to read, share your thoughts, your stories and connect with others!
Hawaii

finally starting chemo

Postby Hawaii » Wed Jun 13, 2007 12:46 pm

Okay 2nd surgery done (to remove hot lymph node that showed up on PET/CT scan). Now I can start chemo . Still a little nervous about this new experience starting up next Monday, although i'm feeling reassured from reading everyone's posts here! What helped you through your first time?

ray

Postby ray » Wed Jun 13, 2007 2:24 pm

I was fine for my first few doses. It wasn't until the third dose when I started feeling pretty nasty. Then a depression started to set in. I ended up on an SSRI, celexa. I stayed pretty much on an even keel from then on. It's not a "happy pill" and takes a few weeks to work but I stuck with it and it was well worth it.

No doubt, chemo sucks but it's manageable.
Diagnosed at age 47 after bleeding for many years
Stage II, T3N0M0
Sigmoid resection 8-20-02, 6 mo 5fu/leucovoran
Currently NED.

seussfan
Facebook Username: Trish Lannon

Postby seussfan » Wed Jun 13, 2007 6:38 pm

I am finishing up my third round of chemo. I have 2 days at the infusion center and I have a pump that I wear for two days. I will get unhooked tomorrow at 3pm from my pump.

So far I feel just fine. My problems have been the mouth sores and the diarrehea (sp?). They gave me "magic mouthwash" for the sores - kinda works. I have a prescription and Immodium for the other issue. The first round I did not use the medicine because I had had a partial blockage that put me in the hospital and I was paranoid it would happen again. When I finally gave in and used it during the second round, my life was much happier.

Right now, fatigue is not really and issue. I am working fulltime and have not had a problem. Usually the Friday after my treatments are done, I come home from work and go to bed a t 6pm and wake up at 8am. Other than that, I just don't stay up to 11pm anymore - TIVO is the best invention ever!

Remember though - I have only finished 3 rounds (should be 4, but my blood counts were too low and I missed a round).

My big thing was that I took adivce from someone on this site (I think Miss JV) that told me to go to every session with a positive attitude. I have and it does wonders. I have made friends with all the nurses, I have spoken with many patients that are there - all seem to be in their 60 - 80s. I bring work with me to do when I don't have friends sitting to play games with me. I just make my time there fun and productive. I positive outlook has really helped!

Good luck on your journey.

:D :!:
Stage 3 Colon Cancer-6 of 15 lymph nodes positive/Surgery & Dx 3-5-07/Finished Folfox4 11-28-07
Stage 0/Grade 3 Breast Cancer/Double mastectomy 5-15-09/Undergoing reconstruction
http://www.caringbridge.org/visit/trishlannon
2009 Colondar Model

RobinS

Postby RobinS » Mon Jun 18, 2007 11:32 pm

I started my 12 rounds of FolFox6 in December 2006 and ended May 23, 2007. I also went in with a positive attitude (makes a huge difference) and brought crafts with me to work on plus made friends with several of the nurses and other patients.

Our cancer center has a row of lounge chairs in the infusion center sitting next to windows looking over a park and most of the chairs have a tv available with a vcr and some movies plus there is a bookshelf of books to read and magazines and puzzles. There are also 4 private rooms, but I always choose to be out in the open so I could converse with the staff and other patients. Sometimes I had visitors from church or family and we would play cards or do puzzles or just chat and laugh. I actually ended up looking forward to those times and it helped me forget all the poison being infused into my body.

I'm a quilter and ended up making a quilt with different color ribbons that represent the different cancers (http://www.personalizedcause.com/) of people I know so I could have something to work on while getting chemo. I had those people sign those squares if they were a survivor of those cancers and signed the names of those that didn't make it. On the corners of the quilt I added triangles for my friends, family, and co-workers that supported me plus my doctors and nurses that helped me get through it. It has been a big conversation starter and, in a few cases, has brought healing for some. I'm getting close to being done with the quilting, but my fingers went numb in mid-April so it has slowed me down a bit.

Anyway, if you go in with the attitude that you are going to beat this and make some friends along the way, it really helps.

Good luck,

Robin

Billy

what to do, what to do

Postby Billy » Tue Jun 19, 2007 1:18 pm

I have to agree that the most important things to get you through chemo are a great attitude and good support. I try to be pleasant and positive every time I go. I make jokes, flirt with the nurses, and try to have good conversations with my oncologist. But, you also need to be a realist. Chemo sucks! HARD!! I’ve been through something like a dozen different drugs, and they all did something to me. You just can’t let it beat you. There are going to be times when it comes close, very close. Your emotions will go out of whack, your body will turn on you in ways you never thought possible. It’s hard to tell another person how to deal with this disease, it’s very personal. Take solace though in the fact that there are a lot of people like you who are making it through. Like me!

Billy
Rage, rage against the dying of the light.

http://billyscolon.blogspot.com

PammySue_51

My Experience

Postby PammySue_51 » Tue Jun 19, 2007 9:53 pm

I just finished 6 months of chemotherapy last Friday - yippee! I had the Folfox regimen with Avastin. My biggest problems were with severe cramping and diarrhea. This usually kicked in about a day after my pump was removed. My emotions were crazy the first few days after chemo, too. It seemed like I cried a lot, usually for stupid reasons. Chemo is a bear, no reason to sugar coat it, but you can get through it...and you WILL get through it. I had a 5 week siesta (after my 9th treatment) due to platelet and white cell issues, and boy did I ever start feeling good. I got my last 3 treatments on schedule and I noticed that the side effects started building up again. Try to maintain a positive attitude, take someone with you or have something to do (I usually read), and converse with the chemo nurses. Chemo nurses ROCK and they are a wonderful source of knowledge, as well. They will become your best friends for a while. Just take it one treatment at a time...quicker than you realize you will be halfway done.

Keep your chin up.

Pam

I Peter 5:10
Pam

I Peter 5:10-11

Diagnosed 9/06 Stage IV, 19 mo. chemo, now out of chemo options except for possible clinical trials. 9/3/08 First of two Sir-Spheres procedures.

*Faith is the wind that blows the sail of our ship to the desired destination."

Return to “Colon Talk - Colon cancer (colorectal cancer) support forum”