Stage IV CC survivors

Please feel free to read, share your thoughts, your stories and connect with others!
Brad

Stage IV CC survivors

Postby Brad » Tue Jan 03, 2006 10:55 pm

I have a pretty rare colon cancer. It is a signet ring cell cancer type that has metastasized to my peritoneum. I had 3 lymph nodes that were positive out of the 30 that were removed. Does anyone else have this type of Colon Cancer? If so, what are the odds of it coming back?

Fishy

Postby Fishy » Wed Jan 04, 2006 4:10 pm

hey brad,
i also have sigmet ring cell which , among other places, has spread to my peritoneum. my surgeon also told me it was rare.i had 13 of 14 tested lymph nodes come back positive. i've been sick since june of 2002. i've had 46 chemos and a couple surgeries. it's been on my peritoneum, pelvic, abdominal at least since april of 2004. i'm not sure what info you wanted.i haven't gotten rid of it yet, so i'm not sure the chances of it coming back.
Jenny Fish

Brad

Postby Brad » Wed Jan 04, 2006 6:05 pm

Do you keep going through the same chemo, or do the drugs change every time? Do you take chemo for 6 months and then rest for a couple and start over again?

maggie

Postby maggie » Wed Jan 04, 2006 7:05 pm

Hi-
I too had signet ring....crazy....I had it five years ago, stage I. I was really lucky because it was found so early. Aside from chemo (which I didn't have) the doctors treated me really agressively. When I had my resection done, they took out 89 lymph nodes (which all came back clean....thank God!) and have tested me like crazy since. Thankfully, I've reached my 5 year point with no reoccurence. I know I can't answer any of your questions, I guess I am just suprised that more people have it. I think it was a lot more unheard of five years ago verses today too. But my colorectal doctor told me I had a better chance of getting signet ring in just my colon at age 21 than getting hit by lightening. You'd think with those odds, playing the lottery might get me lucky.....hasn't happened! Good luck!
Maggie

Fishy

Postby Fishy » Wed Jan 04, 2006 8:29 pm

first i was on 5FU, leucovorin,and oxylaplatin. then i went into remission for a short few months. then i went on 5fu, leucovorin,irinotecan, and avastin. i was on that for about 14 months, then then switched me to 5FU/leucovorin, avastin, and oxylaplatin. i am about to switch to erbitux and irinotecan.my tumors didn't grow at all for about 14-15 months on the 5fu/leucovorin,avastin, and irinotecan combo.
Jenny Fish

Mtsko

Stage IV CC

Postby Mtsko » Fri Jan 06, 2006 4:27 am

I/m an asian female and was diagnosed w/ Stage IV CC in March'04, I was 37 yrs old. I was a heavy smoker with no family history of colon cancer, however, mom had breat cancer twice. I noticed changes in my bowels, but ignored them. a trip to ER and 2 surgeries later, i found out I had stage IV colon cancer, spread to one ovary and some lymphnodes. Chemo was 5FU,Leukovoran, Oxilplatin and during that treatment another tumor grew on my remaining ovary.
A hysterectomy was performed. New Chemo was only Avastin and Captosar. Got real sick and constipated (uncommon). we stopped after only 4 months and I did 30 days of radiation.
8 months after radiation, I recently found out my intestines and abdoinal wall are all damaged from the radiation. I had 2 surgeries last Dec for damaged bowel removal and resection than removing more damaged intestine and an iliostomy. NO BODY SHOULD GO THROUGH RADIATION - - IT DAMAGES / FRIES YOUR INTERNAL ORGANS AND TISSUES.
I'm so disappointed because I wasn't warned of internal damages from radiation to this extent. Now, I'll start chemo again. I hope this treatment works! The most important thing through out from when I first heard I had colorectal cancer, going through my treatments, surgeries, and many hopsital stays. You just gotta find something to laugh at. My husband and I got married 5 mos after we found out together what my journey will be for a while. He's my main caregiver, support and always makes me find humor in life. Being positive is a must have. finding positive in any situation becomes like a game to me. it's there, you just have to look for it!

Postby Guest » Fri Jan 06, 2006 10:23 am

I just had my last radiation treatment for Stage 1 rectal cancer. I also had 5FU chemo during the radiation. How long after did the other problems occur? Thanks for any info you can provide.

Calif.Optimist

Stage IV CC survivors

Postby Calif.Optimist » Wed Jan 11, 2006 2:09 am

On July 16,2005, my daughter was told she had "mucinous adenocarcinoma with signet ring cell features" We were also told that this was a rare type of cancer.

Return to “Colon Talk - Colon cancer (colorectal cancer) support forum”