Reversal a success (although a little late posting)

Please feel free to read, share your thoughts, your stories and connect with others!
tmm903
Facebook Username: Tracy Green Mariano

Reversal a success (although a little late posting)

Postby tmm903 » Sun Oct 24, 2010 9:30 am

Everything has been running quite smoothly since my takedown on 10/11. I was in for 4 days (came home on the 14th). Thank heavens for the percocet because they have been a big help!! Although they do cause a bit of constipation--but thats what the dulcolax is for. I have been going to the bathroom on average about 5x's a day. Not too bad. Following the low residue diet for awhile and slowly adding in some fibrous things. The stoma spot feels good going back to normal. While in the hospital it was as most of you said--uneventful. I was up walking the next day--and alot of it as I had a really annoying male nurse. He had energy so I guess he assumed I did too LOL. Sorry, no energy here when I was just given pain meds and now you went me to walk??? I think not! Getting around good though at home. Not doing anything strenuous yet---getting up and moving around and on certain days walk out to the bus stop to get my son. I am so glad that I had all the input that I did from all of you. Can't wait for both sites to be healed so that I can sleep on my stomach again--this back sleeping is for the birds! Hope everyone is doing well.
Tracy
DX 12/28/09 Stage 4 CC w/mets to liver
Sigmoid colon resection 1/11/10
FOLFOX Chemo FINISHED 8/27/10
Ileostomy reversed 10/11/10
FOLFIRI chemo FINISHED 5/6/11
married to Mike and mom to Austyn, age 6

BrownBagger

Re: Reversal a success (although a little late posting)

Postby BrownBagger » Sun Oct 24, 2010 9:47 am

My stoma site wasn't stapled shut, so I had to apply a wet dressing twice a day. After about a month, it was all healed over.

Eat what you like in moderation, but pay attention to what you eat so that you can avoid the stuff that causes problems.

Sounds like you're off to a fantastic start. I'm with the male nurse in the hospital--keep moving.
Last edited by BrownBagger on Sun Oct 24, 2010 10:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
Eric, 58
Dx: 3/09, Stage 4 RC
Recurrences: (ongoing, lung, bronchial cavity, ribs)
Major Ops: 6/ RFA: 3 /bronchoscopies: 8
Pelvic radiation: 5 wks. Bronchial radiation—brachytheray: 3 treatments
Chemo Rounds (career):136
Current Chemo Cocktail: Xeloda & Erbitux & Irinotecan biweekly
Current Cocktail; On the Wagon (mostly)
Bicycle miles post-dx 10,477
Motto: Live your life like it's going to be a long one, because it just might, and then you'll be glad you did.

nicola smith

Postby nicola smith » Sun Oct 24, 2010 10:13 am

excellent news. Green Mountain Girl has just had her takedown surgery too according to her posting on another board. I am following all of you reversal types closely (well, not too closely!) as I am looking at having an ileo takedown next Spring. Thanks for posting.
UC history
11/09: Dx, CEA 2.9
02/10: colectomy, temp ileo; pT3N1Mx
10/10: 12 Folfox6
03/11: jpouch
2010/11/12/13/14: 6 PET and/or CT's - NED
quarterly 03/2010- 03/2015: CEA range 0.8-1.3
03/2015: discharged to GP :D

CRguy

Postby CRguy » Sun Oct 24, 2010 11:01 am

Continued success with the new plumbing Tracy, sounds good so far !

Cheers
CRguy
Caregiver x 4
Stage IV A rectal cancer/lung met
17 Year survivor
my life is an ongoing totally randomized UNcontrolled experiment with N=1 !
Review of my Journey so far

adina91
Facebook Username: Adina Jewett

Postby adina91 » Sun Oct 24, 2010 4:30 pm

Oh I am so glad everything went well and you posted! I was wondering how you were doing. Here's to good post reversal experiences for the both of us!
Adina 42 yo, mom of 2 sons (5,9)
11/2009 - DX-2B CC-Sigmoid resect/colostomy
Lynch Synd MSH2
1/2010 - FLOX chemo
5/2010 - Subtotal colectomy/hyster/ileostomy
Stage 3A - 1/42 LN +
8/2010 - Chemo done
10/18/2010 - ileostomy takedown
2010 - 2015 - NED
5/1/15 - "suspicious" area in liver on CT
5/14/15 - follow up PET says no metastatic disease
6/19/15 - MRI - NED!

joeyooser

Postby joeyooser » Sun Oct 24, 2010 4:37 pm

Glad to hear it's going well - I followed the low residue diet for a while too and I think it did make the transition easier. My low residue consisted of a lot of ice cream. Nice to treat yourself during recovery.

Enjoy!
Tim
Stage IIIc - 9/23 lymph nodes, poorly diff, 35yo father of 2.
Lap resection Jul 28 09 resulted in near-deadly leak
Finished chemo Feb '10; Takedown March '10;
Nov 2010 - carcinomatosis
May 2011 - Clinical Trial, failed out of trial, in hospice care

nicola smith

Postby nicola smith » Sun Oct 24, 2010 4:38 pm

oops - I meant Green Lake Girl!
UC history
11/09: Dx, CEA 2.9
02/10: colectomy, temp ileo; pT3N1Mx
10/10: 12 Folfox6
03/11: jpouch
2010/11/12/13/14: 6 PET and/or CT's - NED
quarterly 03/2010- 03/2015: CEA range 0.8-1.3
03/2015: discharged to GP :D

Terry
Facebook Username: Terry Minor

Postby Terry » Sun Oct 24, 2010 5:15 pm

It sounds like things went really well for you, I'm so glad. I've never had to go through any of that but I still like to see it when you guys have positive outcomes.
DX 7/3/07
Chemo, radiation, 20 mo. chemo, IMRT, cyberknife, 6/11 lobectomy.
1/16 resection perm. colostomy intraop. rad.
PET 2/12 nose, thyroid, liver, lngs
Folfox 3/12
Lord I know You'll keep me here until
you know I cannot suffer any longer!

karin
Facebook Username: Karin Tobin Fagner

Postby karin » Mon Oct 25, 2010 12:44 am

Love to hear the word uneventful in the context of a hospital stay!! :) I hope your entire recovery goes smoothly....keep moving, it's good for you!

Luv and hugs,
Karin
Karin
BFF dx'd June09 w CRC & peritoneal mucinous carcinomatosis @ age 40
She beat cancer for 20 months!

patricia
Facebook Username: Patricia Mindlin Woodruff

Postby patricia » Mon Oct 25, 2010 9:43 pm

thanks for posting. could you keep up posting on your progress? I am 6 months out from my reversal, (just did #6 of 12 Folfox today) but am having what I think is called diversion colitis - mucus, bloody looking liquid and stuff that smells a little like poop coming out my butt. It is freaking me out and it is a horrible physical problem every time I stand up for the last 3 days. My surgeon emailed me (clinic is not close to home) and said this is nothing to be alarmed about. Well, he doesn't feel like he has 10 pounds of rocks laying in his rectum pressing against the sphincter muscle. I am now so scared that this is what I will feel like all the time when I have the reversal. My oncologist seems a little more concerned than the surgeon, but he seems pretty calm about it. Please let me know what a normal reversal feels like and what it feels like to begin with a 'new' normal. thanks. I'm scared. Patricia
Rectal cancer dx 11/09
T2 possible N1
radiation/with 5FU pump almost made 6 weeks Jan - Mar/2010
bracheotherapy 4X April/2010
LAR w/temp ileostomy June/2010
Folfox 12X starting Aug/2010 - ended Feb/2011
Takedown April 27, 2011

tmm903

Postby tmm903 » Sat Oct 30, 2010 8:39 am

Well, my new "normal" granted its been only about 3 weeks, seems to be pretty good. On average I go about 4 times a day. I am following the low residue diet still. Ihaven't eaten anything that has caused any problems. I have cereal generally for breakfast, some form of Chex cereal or cheerios. Haven't really ventured into too much fiber yet, other than the fruit from the low res diet and fruit juices. My sister is a nurse and she says that will help me to stay regular. So I am doing something right along the way here LOL :D I was very worried before having the preocedure done because I was not ready to be going to the bathroom 10 times a day just to poop! But I feel pretty confident with the way things are going and will be changing my rsvp to my 20th high school reunion--I plan on attending now that I know my system is working better than I had thought it would.

I have been moving around quite a bit in the house---not a whole lot I'm allowed to do as of yet so I walk around the house and do some walking outside as long as the weather has been nice here. I finally got rid of the hospital bed that we got from my initial surgery in January. I slept in a regular bed last night and it felt good. Took a bit of adjusting to get comfy, but I managed and slept quite well. I will keep posting through this.
Tracy

tmm903

Postby tmm903 » Sat Oct 30, 2010 8:39 am

Well, my new "normal" granted its been only about 3 weeks, seems to be pretty good. On average I go about 4 times a day. I am following the low residue diet still. Ihaven't eaten anything that has caused any problems. I have cereal generally for breakfast, some form of Chex cereal or cheerios. Haven't really ventured into too much fiber yet, other than the fruit from the low res diet and fruit juices. My sister is a nurse and she says that will help me to stay regular. So I am doing something right along the way here LOL :D I was very worried before having the preocedure done because I was not ready to be going to the bathroom 10 times a day just to poop! But I feel pretty confident with the way things are going and will be changing my rsvp to my 20th high school reunion--I plan on attending now that I know my system is working better than I had thought it would.

I have been moving around quite a bit in the house---not a whole lot I'm allowed to do as of yet so I walk around the house and do some walking outside as long as the weather has been nice here. I finally got rid of the hospital bed that we got from my initial surgery in January. I slept in a regular bed last night and it felt good. Took a bit of adjusting to get comfy, but I managed and slept quite well. I will keep posting through this.
Tracy

Return to “Colon Talk - Colon cancer (colorectal cancer) support forum”