Blood with bowel mvmt during radiation therapy/Xeloda?

Please feel free to read, share your thoughts, your stories and connect with others!
Worried daughter

Blood with bowel mvmt during radiation therapy/Xeloda?

Postby Worried daughter » Sat Jun 09, 2007 9:38 pm

For my mom (stage 3c or T4 N2, dx 02/15/07, on week 5/6 of radiation therapy/Xeloda) ...

has anyone had blood following bowel movements while undergoing their radiation therapy/Xeloda treatment? The radiation therapy is now targeting the rectum area. Is this a "normal" side effect? Thanks for any help!

jsills

Postby jsills » Sun Jun 10, 2007 8:30 am

Hi WD

Certainly your mom should keep her doc informed as to what is happening but it was similar to my experiences during R/T. Sounds like your mom is getting near the end of her treatments which is a good thing. After the treatments I continued to have bloody stools for awhile before things got better so you can expect that. Actually I felt worse after the treatments for about a month than I did during the treatments but things did get better.

Your mom is probably going through tough mental as well as physcial issues right now and can use all the love and support you can give, so keep it up as I'm sure you will.

Worried daughter

Thanks

Postby Worried daughter » Sun Jun 10, 2007 2:58 pm

Thanks Jsills for your perspective! She seems to have severe pain with every bowel movement. Hopefully there is no permanent damage. But we will definitely inform the doctors, just as you suggested! And over time, let's hope the blood goes away too. Sorry you had discomfort 1-mo following your treatment!

Return to “Colon Talk - Colon cancer (colorectal cancer) support forum”