1st night without Ambien

Please feel free to read, share your thoughts, your stories and connect with others!
klryder02

1st night without Ambien

Postby klryder02 » Sat Jun 09, 2007 4:34 pm

Has anyone been on Ambien, and decided to stop taking it?

I have been taking Ambien since Nov or Dec. I am a teacher, and decided to go off of Ambien once summer started. I don't like the fact that I need a drug to sleep, and know I am addicted to it. Yesterday was the last day of school, and my first night without Ambien.

Last night sucked! I was up until about 2:30, and woke up about 8:00. I am expecting a few crappy nights, but I am wondering what other peoples experience is with going off of Ambien?

I am going to start working out hopefully on Monday, so I am thinking that will help me sleep.
29, stage IV, diagnosed Oct. 2006, currently on Oxaliplatin, 5-FU, and Vectibix.
http://youcantcontrolrandom.blogspot.com/

georgemma

Postby georgemma » Sat Jun 09, 2007 6:25 pm

Sigh, I love Ambien! I wouldn't call it an addiction but a dependence, and it is smart of you to want to go off and to do so during your summer break. You should buy a pill cutter (if you don't already have one) and split some in half. By taking a half, your body adjusts to a smaller dosage, and the withdrawal is easier. I hate that many M.D.'s are so quick to write a script but you are on your own when you try to live without the medication.

klryder02

Postby klryder02 » Sat Jun 09, 2007 6:54 pm

George-

I thought about cutting back on my dosage, but I ran out of pills. It was strange that I had exactly enough pills to get through the last few weeks of school.

My husband said I should take Tylenol PM, but isn't that just exchanging one drug for another?
29, stage IV, diagnosed Oct. 2006, currently on Oxaliplatin, 5-FU, and Vectibix.
http://youcantcontrolrandom.blogspot.com/

georgemma

Postby georgemma » Sun Jun 10, 2007 11:46 am

I think that you are right about not wanting to exchange Ambien for Tylenol PM. Recently I happened to catch a Today show segment on sleep medications. The medical reported said that most over-the-counter products make you so groggy that it is better to take a pharmaceutical product like Ambien. If you have run out of pills, then you might as well accept the fact that you will have a rough week and then be fine. Good luck!

seussfan
Facebook Username: Trish Lannon

Postby seussfan » Sun Jun 10, 2007 7:37 pm

Ambien gives me nightmares and really freaky dreams. It wakes me up and then I fight going back to sleep because of the dreams it gives me. Very trippy!
Stage 3 Colon Cancer-6 of 15 lymph nodes positive/Surgery & Dx 3-5-07/Finished Folfox4 11-28-07
Stage 0/Grade 3 Breast Cancer/Double mastectomy 5-15-09/Undergoing reconstruction
http://www.caringbridge.org/visit/trishlannon
2009 Colondar Model

Return to “Colon Talk - Colon cancer (colorectal cancer) support forum”