bathroom issues after resection of colon.

Please feel free to read, share your thoughts, your stories and connect with others!
Shelly

bathroom issues after resection of colon.

Postby Shelly » Thu Jun 07, 2007 12:36 pm

Hello,

I need some feedback. I was stage 3 colonrectal cancer, had chemo. radiation, surgery(removed most of rectum) temp. bag then resection surgery in January 07. 6 months later, I still have accidents and I have loose bowel movements all the time. does anyone have the same situation that can help me with a diet?? I take 6 amodiums a day

THank you.

PS I wish I knew of this site a year ago. It is so nice to know that I am not alone! Thank you Molly. seriously.

Shelly
from NYC

Lee

Postby Lee » Thu Jun 07, 2007 1:48 pm

Shelly,

I am sorry you are having so much problems. I too had stage 3 rectal cancer. In my case I chose to have the bag because I had lost muscle control during radiation, and was tied to the house.

It's my understand, regaining control can take awhile ( a yr or more). Has there been any improvement in the past 6 mths? If so, just give it time. Has your surgeon given you any advice? It's my understand, diet is also helpful.

I hope you are able to get solutions, good luck.

Lee
rectal cancer - April 2004
46 yrs old at diagnoses
stage III C - 6/13 lymph positive
radiation - 6 weeks
surgery - August 2004/hernia repair 2014
permanent colostomy
chemo - FOLFOX
NED - 16 years and counting!

GO BLUE Girl

bathroom issues

Postby GO BLUE Girl » Thu Jun 07, 2007 9:37 pm

Hi, Had low anterior resection 5/04 for Stage IIIb rectal cancer, no colostomy at time of surgery but one 2 weeks later after an abscess. Had a colostomy reversal 6 months later. The number and frequency of stools did get better but took a good year. Still the frequency can range from 0 to 10+ per day. Try some fiber and do some Kegel exercises...they seemed to help me with the occasional accident.

DX: 2/10/04--IIIB rectal cancer-- Radiation, 2 rounds chemo, 4 surgeries later and no evidence of disease.

cd

rectum removed, but reconnted

Postby cd » Sun Jun 10, 2007 9:37 pm

I had my rectum removed and had an iliostomy for 8 months while going through chemo, and I swore I'ld never go out again after resectioned. It has been about 1 1/2 years now, I know when I have to go and how bad, by how bad I get cramps, sometimes I can hold it, sometimes I don't make it.

But for some reason, something that helps me a little bit, I think it dries me up, is claritin D (or allegra). I have pretty bad allergies and when I took it, I realized I have control too.

Might help you.

LindaMou

Metamucil

Postby LindaMou » Mon Dec 17, 2007 8:22 pm

My doctor recommended Metamucil for the same situation. He said that even though it is recommended for constipation, it also adds bulk and absorbs water in the stool. It worked for me instantly.

Diane

bathroom issues after resection of colon

Postby Diane » Tue Dec 18, 2007 11:18 am

I too had stage 3 rectal cancer (bowel resection, temp illeostomy, radiation and chemo). had reversal and had a lot of problems. Something my surgeon prescribes me and I haven't heard of anyone else using it is tincture of Opium. It is liquid and I only have to take .06/ml a day and it completely gave me back my quality of life. It is an older drug I guess, but it has been wonderful for me (although the taste is nasty). Ask you doctor about it. It is a narcotic base but it takes a very small amount to give you the relieve you need. It just slows down the gut so you can live your life without having to run to the bathroom. I also drink a fiber drink every day to help bulk things up. Let me know if you want any more info.
Diane

Lifes2short

Postby Lifes2short » Tue Dec 18, 2007 1:25 pm

If it doesn't get better, maybe it would be best to go back to having a colostomy. I have read several posts from people who have done that. I have a bag and it doesn't bother me much. I swim, ski, hike, camp. I also irrigate (not sure it that would be possible given you're tendency toward loose bowels). The irrigation takes about an hour every second night. The goal is to train the bowel to eliminate only during irrigation. It's not always successful, but it certainly gives me a lot of freedom.

Regarding the post above, I would also suggest the tincture of opium. I am on pain meds which behave the same way as the opium tincture - they slow me WAY down. Too much for me, I have to take meds to keep things moving.

Good luck.

NICK THE BRIT

Postby NICK THE BRIT » Wed Dec 19, 2007 2:59 pm

Hi guys,
My op to remove the temp illeostomy was back in March. Things are ok, i try and eat most foods although as healthy as poss adding a treat here and there. The problem i have is where i was re-joined the hole is a lot smaller to pass out of now, meaning that i now go up to ten times a day (small amounts) cat poo size, then i probably wont go at all the following day. It can get frustrating, especially if theres a night out planned and you havent been for the day!! Your paranoid that you will be going all night when your out. But its not that bad. Im just happy to be hear. Merry Christmas to everyone and i hope with you love, hope and best wishes for 2008!

Nick

CRP

Bathroom Issues

Postby CRP » Thu Dec 20, 2007 4:51 pm

One solution is a bowel management program using a 2 quart plain water daily enema. It can be done while taking a shower and takes about 15 minutes. Your bowels are empty for 24 hours and you have no urges and no accidents. I have followed this regime for 10 years and am healthy and feel sorry for those who are given a colostomy becasue the medical community ignores this simple method of living a normal life after rectum removal.

Follow the link below to see the research. It really works.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/sites/entre ... BAuthor%5D

(Stage II, Ultra-Low Anterior Resection, No J-Pouch, 1997)

GO BLUE Girl

bathroom issues

Postby GO BLUE Girl » Fri Dec 21, 2007 10:52 am

Sometimes if I'm going somewhere that bathroom access might be an issue I will take some Lomotil before I go and then it is not an issue. I also use it if I am in and out of the bathroom all day long and it works fairly well for me. Hate to put a damper on the subject but I am 3 years out post colostomy reversal and still have BR issues): :? But my 4 year anniversary is coming up here soon and I could not be happier to sit in the bathroom!!! Read a book that's what I do :D :D Beth

DX: 2/4/04 /stage IIIC CEA 0.6--Negative CT

Return to “Colon Talk - Colon cancer (colorectal cancer) support forum”