pregnancy after chemo

Please feel free to read, share your thoughts, your stories and connect with others!
mca

pregnancy after chemo

Postby mca » Sun Jun 03, 2007 3:56 pm

Hi there,

I'm just wondering if anyone of you are trying to have more kids after CC and chemo. If so, how long do we have to wait before we can get pregnant after chemo? I was actually trying to have another child when I was dx last June and CC stopped it all. By the way, I'm gonna be 36 this November so time is really running out for me. However, I worried that if I do not wait long enough for the chemo toxin to completely leave my body, I'll have an unhealthy (or abnormal) baby. Can anyone shed some light on it? or tell me what I need to watch out for?

Thanks so much.

Channie

johnnys84

Postby johnnys84 » Mon Jun 04, 2007 2:50 pm

I was told by my doctor to wait two years after chemo.
JJS

Diagnosed June 30, 2006 Stage II colorectal cancer (familial polyposis) 30 years old
October 27, 2006 Total Colectomy and K-pouch
March 9, 2007 K-pouch revision

aliveat35

Postby aliveat35 » Wed Jun 06, 2007 3:03 pm

I am 35 years old and have one daughter (2 yrs old). I miscarried a child that would've been born the week that I was diagnosed stage IIB. We do want another child as well. My oncologist told me that I absolutely had to wait 1 year from my last chemo treatment. That is what we plan on doing.

However, it is scary to think about pregnancy. If the cancer were to return during pregnancy, treatment would have to wait. CT/ PET scans cannot be done while pregnant. It is a tough decision.

I wish you the best.
35 yr old fem. Dx 9/2006 with 2B

dilshan

Postby dilshan » Thu Jun 07, 2007 3:16 pm

As far as I know chemo is a dangerous treatment and it requires additional medication to withstand the effects which are consequent to its administration. So there is no question of pregnancy planning while this therapy is on. Even after completion of the chemo sessions it takes quite a lot of time to negate the effects of it. Only when this happens people can be said to be ready for their family planning accordingly.
Have been benefited by the canada drugs

Return to “Colon Talk - Colon cancer (colorectal cancer) support forum”