High Fibre Myth

Please feel free to read, share your thoughts, your stories and connect with others!
Ivona
Facebook Username: Ivona Bradley

High Fibre Myth

Postby Ivona » Tue Oct 05, 2010 4:13 pm

Well hallelujah! Finally some debunking of this silliness about eating reams of shredded wheat and apple rinds as a way of preventing CRC. I always wondered about this dogma. I never had trouble 'going' to the bathroom and never suffered from constipation. I ate fruit and veggies and just about everything else. Yet I still got Stage III. :shock:

http://www.medicinenet.com/script/main/ ... lekey=8115
dx'd Oct '08 (age 48)
T3bN2Mx
9/23 LN's
resection Nov '08
Folfox Jan '09 - March '09
Xeloda March 24/09 - July 6/09

"Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, but today is a gift. That is why it's called 'the present'. "

Alie

Re: High Fibre Myth

Postby Alie » Tue Oct 05, 2010 4:44 pm

Last sentence "If fiber also helps prevent colon cancer, all the better." :wink:

boweltumor

Postby boweltumor » Tue Oct 05, 2010 5:02 pm

good article
it seems colon cancer is more about bad luck than lifestyle (at least from what I can ascertain from this forum)

catwraa@msn.com
Facebook Username: CBeek

Postby catwraa@msn.com » Tue Oct 05, 2010 8:24 pm

I think it IS bad luck-maybe a little genes too-I also read that fiber has no relation to colon ca---I have read though about beef,esp. bbq'd being an instigator (probably for one already predisposed to colon ca)
wife of husband age 38
who was dx with stage2a low grade CC sigmoid
T3;N0;M0
surgery Sept 29,2010
CEA's hovering under 5
01/11PET Scan needed-clear
01/11balloon dilation for sticture
03/11colonoscopy-clear;CEA 3.5

chrissyrice

Postby chrissyrice » Tue Oct 05, 2010 8:33 pm

Wow -- yes I do have very bad luck!! My friends eat and drink and smoke and they are doing great......BUTT ME NOOOOOO!!

Thanks for making my day with this post. Yuck to the fiber I am on my way to the bar! :D
DX 10-31-09 Surgery 12-1-09 Sigmoid Colon
Stage IIIb T3,N2,MX; Chemo Feb 2010-Aug 2010; 4 rounds Folfox; 8 rounds 5FU +LV
12/2010 PET/CT Scan, Cancer Free
7/2012 CT Scan NED 2 years
10/2013 NED 3 years
8/2014 NED 4 years
Recurrence 6/2015: iliac lymph node(s)
8/2015 Surgery: 3 cm tumor removed+iliac artery graft
3/2016 CT Scan Stable
6/2016 Stable
9/2016 Stable
12/2016 Stable
3/2017 Stable
Recurrence 6/2017
12/2017 Surgery removed all cancer w/ clean margins
07-27-2018 Cancer-free for 7 months

garbovatwin

Postby garbovatwin » Tue Oct 05, 2010 8:56 pm

Fiber is just part of better digestion. Water is the lubricant for cleaning out bowels. Certain foods, like white bread for instance, acts as a binder in your colon. Water may be more important than a bunch of high fiber.

Our digestive system is a plant based one. Beef is very hard to digest. The meat most people eat today, unless one pays for well kept cattle that is not force fed chemicals and hormones, is a disaster waiting to happen. We are what we eat, but so is a cow or a chicken, a pig or a fish, and when we eat them, we are what we eat and what they ate.

Regular meat eaters should consider cleaning out their colon regularly.

With the stuff passed off for food, processed food that so many just throw in the grocery cart, take home and eat, more and more people will be getting sick, getting cancer.
OUR world is worth saving
Question everything. Become your own Advocate.
When we find a cure for one cancer it will lead to a cure for ALL cancer
Crohn's Colitis
Rectal Mucosa Resection - Oct 2010
Rectal Surgery - Sep 2011
Stroke Sep 2012

Surroundedbylove

Postby Surroundedbylove » Tue Oct 05, 2010 10:41 pm

The latest thing I read about fiber actually talked about its important role in insulin regulation - something along the lines of fiber slowing down something and thus helping to regulate insulin (sorry I can't quote it!) That article made a lot of sense - how fruit has fiber in it and doesn't cause the insulin spikes that fruit juice does which doesn't have the fiber. The insulin connection seems to make more sense.
Surroundedbylove

Rectal Cancer @ 43, '08
Clinical: T3,N2a,MX (IIIB)
6 wks XELOX & radiation
LAR, colonic j-pouch, & temp ileo '09
Surgical: ypT3,ypN0,ypMX (0 of 20 nodes)
FOLFOX; XELOX
Ileo Takedown ‘09
LARS for 10 years before learning it is finally being studied
InterStim Sacral Nerve Neuromodulator 2019

boweltumor

Postby boweltumor » Wed Oct 06, 2010 12:55 am

garbovatwin wrote:Fiber is just part of better digestion. Water is the lubricant for cleaning out bowels. Certain foods, like white bread for instance, acts as a binder in your colon. Water may be more important than a bunch of high fiber.

Our digestive system is a plant based one. Beef is very hard to digest. The meat most people eat today, unless one pays for well kept cattle that is not force fed chemicals and hormones, is a disaster waiting to happen. We are what we eat, but so is a cow or a chicken, a pig or a fish, and when we eat them, we are what we eat and what they ate.

Regular meat eaters should consider cleaning out their colon regularly.

With the stuff passed off for food, processed food that so many just throw in the grocery cart, take home and eat, more and more people will be getting sick, getting cancer.

great advice. now all we need is a time machine to undo 40+ years of bad eating habits and this cancer :roll:

Ivona
Facebook Username: Ivona Bradley

Postby Ivona » Wed Oct 06, 2010 12:47 pm

hmm...I am not sure that humans' bowels are 'plant based'... I am pretty certain humans developed as omni-vores. Don't forget the appendix??

What I think IS bad is all the processed so called food that manufacturers try throwing at us...read any labels lately?? :shock:

My motto is, if I can't pronounce it, I won't eat it. :wink:
dx'd Oct '08 (age 48)
T3bN2Mx
9/23 LN's
resection Nov '08
Folfox Jan '09 - March '09
Xeloda March 24/09 - July 6/09

"Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, but today is a gift. That is why it's called 'the present'. "

garbovatwin

Postby garbovatwin » Wed Oct 06, 2010 11:09 pm

Ivona wrote:hmm...I am not sure that humans' bowels are 'plant based'... I am pretty certain humans developed as omni-vores. Don't forget the appendix??

Humans are pitifully designed carnivores then.

http://www.celestialhealing.net/physicalveg3.htm

http://www.ul.ie/~sextonb/eatmeat.htm

What I think IS bad is all the processed so called food that manufacturers try throwing at us...read any labels lately?? :shock:

My motto is, if I can't pronounce it, I won't eat it. :wink:

In America is goes beyond processed foods.

Unless you pay dearly for beef or chicken or pork that is not force fed all the crap to get them on your dinner plate faster, none of it is safe. This of course includes dairy products as well.

Sadly, the veggie and fruit produce in America is inundated with chemicals and pesticides, all of them, unless they have something with a thick skin or shell that is removed to get at the edible insides. Once again, organic is better, BUT. Sadly it is next to impossible to get all these toxins off by simply rinsing them.

I wish I could live on water and sunshine like a plant :wink:
OUR world is worth saving
Question everything. Become your own Advocate.
When we find a cure for one cancer it will lead to a cure for ALL cancer
Crohn's Colitis
Rectal Mucosa Resection - Oct 2010
Rectal Surgery - Sep 2011
Stroke Sep 2012

Return to “Colon Talk - Colon cancer (colorectal cancer) support forum”