Remembering my sister

Please feel free to read, share your thoughts, your stories and connect with others!
marshak

Remembering my sister

Postby marshak » Wed May 30, 2007 7:41 pm

My 29 year old younger sister died from Stage 4 colon cancer.

She was diagnosed in June and died in September of last year. I was there for her through it all. I'm still numb.

Can anyone out there relate?

Postby Guest » Wed May 30, 2007 9:26 pm

First and foremost, I'm so sorry to hear about your sister. What happened to her is terrible and I can't imagine what it must be like for you as her sibling to deal with.

To Get a life...this message board is for support of caregivers and survivors. Everyone that has been touched by cancer knows the possibility of death can and is VERY real. Although we all choose to be optimists, I think people tiptoeing around the big "D" word makes it harder for those of us dealing with stage IV. We hope for the best, but are also VERY aware of the worst. Please keep that in mind.

Marshak,

We are all here to help. I pray that time will make this easier for you.

seussfan
Facebook Username: Trish Lannon

Postby seussfan » Thu May 31, 2007 10:12 am

I am so sorry for your loss. I know it can't be easy. This forum will help you immensely and we will all pray for you.
Stage 3 Colon Cancer-6 of 15 lymph nodes positive/Surgery & Dx 3-5-07/Finished Folfox4 11-28-07
Stage 0/Grade 3 Breast Cancer/Double mastectomy 5-15-09/Undergoing reconstruction
http://www.caringbridge.org/visit/trishlannon
2009 Colondar Model

sue

Re: Remembering my sister

Postby sue » Thu May 31, 2007 1:38 pm

I am so srry to hear about your sister...may she live in your memories with love and laughter as time goes on...
marshak wrote:My 29 year old younger sister died from Stage 4 colon cancer.

She was diagnosed in June and died in September of last year. I was there for her through it all. I'm still numb.

Can anyone out there relate?
Oct 2003 surgery 36 weeks 5FU

Dec 2006-mets to liver and lymph nodes (stage 1V ) Had liver resection/radiation/chemo

2008 nodes on lungs started FOLFOX4, 5FU/leucovorin, avastin. After 10 cycles no change

Oct 2008 started 5-FU

May 2009-Folfox4

Michael's Mom

Postby Michael's Mom » Thu May 31, 2007 3:23 pm

I am so sorry for the loss of your sister. I know what you are going through - I lost my 21 year old son to colorectal cancer almost 5 years ago. He was diagnosed in May 2002 and died August 28, 2002. I too was there with him the entire time. During the time he battled the cancer, I had no idea others this young had had colon cancer. Everyone said they had never heard of someone this young getting colon cancer unless it was hereditary.

I found this site several years after Michael died. It has given me comfort in knowing that advances have been made since 2002 and that so many are surviving this disease.

My prayers are with you; after almost five years, although numb at times, I have good memories of my son...

janb

Postby janb » Thu May 31, 2007 9:50 pm

I'm sorry for your loss and can relate to your feelings because I too lost a sibling at the age of 44 to colon cancer. I've always enjoyed coming here and reading others survival stories and encouraging those that are being treated. I'm now my own advocate for colon cancer, have a crazy website, video on Youtube and any other place I can find to promote it; it just doesn't kill old people. If all of us that have endured the loss of a family member were able to speak to our loved ones, I'm sure they'd be pleased we're all bringing awareness to the disease. Make sure you get screened now if you haven't already.
Best wishes,
Jan
Last edited by janb on Fri Jun 01, 2007 6:02 am, edited 1 time in total.
Together....we can make a difference!
www.whereintheworldisgregkelley.com

Dana

Hugs

Postby Dana » Fri Jun 01, 2007 4:34 am

I am so sorry for your loss. I lost my mum last year. She too had stage 4 cc.
It's getting better, still very numb at times. I miss her so much. She was my best friend and I'm sure the person who loved me the most. She was only 18 years older than me so in many ways we were like sisters.

It's hard. The Colon Club is my shelter. I have found so much love and comfort here in the early days and I still visit a lot.
Our beloved ones didn't make it, it was too late for them but many stage 4 are fighting out there and getting better.
Try to get something good out of all this. Talk to anyone about colon cancer and getting screened early. It's all we can do. I owe it to my mum.

To Mali, Holly, Dot and all of you, you are always in my thoughts and prayers

A huge hug

Dana

marshak

Thank you all

Postby marshak » Mon Jun 11, 2007 10:44 pm

Hey All,

I am so new to this board, that I didn't realize I had so many replies.

Thank you all for your comforting words, your thoughts and prayers.

I can't say it's getting easier yet, but I'm hoping as the years fly by the memories will not be so sad.

I am sooooo happy that I found this site. It does help. I helps to know that there are people out there that understand what I'm feeling.

I have really good friends from college. We used to be so close, but they just cannot understand what I'm going through. Because of that, I find myself isolating myself from them. It's wrong, I know, but I'm hoping that with time it will get easier to speak with them.

Both my youngest sister and I, after our sister's passing, went and got a colonoscopy. I couldn't beleive that we were both clean. I couldn't, for the longest time, comprehend how there could be nothing wrong with us. We grew up in the same household, ate the same foods. How is it that our sister could have died from something like this? I've just grown tired of trying to figure this out, and have just accepted the fact that this is all a part of life.

Anyway, I'm babbling (it does help to be able to talk).

Until next time,

You guys are all in my prayers.

Return to “Colon Talk - Colon cancer (colorectal cancer) support forum”